Napoleon Dynamite

Discuss any films, tv shows, and online media in the US and around the globe.
Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

Napoleon Dynamite

#1 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:03 am

I found a funny review for this movie (posted below) online the other day and realized there was no thread about it. It seems to me like most people like or hate Napoleon Dynamite, be it for its chuckle-worthy characters or complete absence of 'plot'. Personally, I think it's a very intelligent film, and I get annoyed when people try to incorporate Napoleon Dynamite quotes into everyday conversation (Flippin' Sweet, etc)

What are everyone's thoughts?

P.S. Here's the review I found

I would not recommend this movie to anyone! This was the most boring movie I have ever seen. There is NO plot. You wait for something to actually happen, but nothing ever does. The dialogue is terrible, the acting is terrible. I can't believe someone wasted the time and money to make this film. Only watch this movie if you have a couple hours that you want to waste, and can't think of anything else that would be more entertaining such as this. All of my friends at school talked about how funny it was, so I went to the theatres (when it was in theatres). There is no plot, no comical dialogue (or acting for that matter), and this film does not offer anything to keep your attention. This movie will leave such a bad taste in your movie going mouth that you will have to stop at a video store after viewing this movie to find something that would reassure you that all movies aren't as bad as this one.
Napoleon Dynamite sucks a**, and the character Napoleon is a n00b.

:lol:
Last edited by Just Like Honey... on Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#2 Post by You Make it Easy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 11:10 am

obviously this guy/girl is one dimensional. I think this movie is very funny just for its orginal content.
Waiting to be found...

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#3 Post by A moment of silence » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:42 pm

I adore Napoleon Dynamite because it touches the subject of the so-called "nobodies" who want to be somebodies/// This film is intelligent, funny, very original, and has increadibly creative characters that add seasoning and zest to the mix. The film has no plot because it is basically the life of the rejected in our society, and how they spend their days and finally show that they are worth a damn by having luck or simply by having connections with people that begin to love them. It is a very good film. :lol: It'll make all of your wildest dreams come true...
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#4 Post by wiggle » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:45 am

I haven't seen it yet but suspect it'll be my kind of film!
Where the hell's the whiskey?

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#5 Post by lemoncupcake » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:04 am

I really liked this movie,i thought it was quite original. The only thing that bugs me (like mentioned above) is people fitting all the phrases in to every day conversation constantly,and the merchandising of it all. Walking through the mall,seeing about 50 kids in the same shirt,girls carrying around Napoleon Dynamite lip gloss,i think the merchandising of it all has gone a bit overboard.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#6 Post by A moment of silence » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:14 pm

I'm going to have to agree with you, lemoncake
I live here in New York city, and I go to all of these stores where I find a bunch of "crap" with Napoleon Dynamite's name, voice, photos....I don't hate the merchandising, because some "crap" I found was actually funny and nice-but still, there is no need for a simple film like that to become commercial. :? Also what's up with the flippin sweet and dang...that language is only this film's not for us to take...so I agree with you guys.
Still, the film ROCKS 8)
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last