Park Hyatt Room Number?

Foreign or domestic, wherever you go, there you are! Tell us about your travels at home or away. Got any good travel/culture/customs tips?! Places to go or avoid or hidden gems?!
onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

Park Hyatt Room Number?

#1 Post by onesmokin3g » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:36 pm

So my plan is to visit Japan for the first time in 2023, 20 years after the movie release and 21 years after filming began. I’m undecided whether I’d like to be there for the 20th anniversary on 9/9, or more likely, sometime in October so I can get the same “feeling” the movie has (as filming began 9/29 for 27 days). Either way, for at least a few of the days I’m in Tokyo, I plan on staying at the Park Hyatt, and of course bringing the movie along with me for a watch in the room. Which brings me to the room. I want to book the room it was filmed in. Had anyone been able to make out the room number on the inside of the door when Bob opens it for the premium fantasy lady? Or on the phone when he’s talking with Lidia? I think I see 4808 maybe?

Thank- hope everyone is well
-Chris

Currently lost in MN
No longer lost in CO
No longer lost in CA
Originally lost in PA

raistant
Tourist

Re: Park Hyatt Room Number?

#2 Post by raistant » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:38 pm

Hello,
a very long time ago I made this research and found out Bill Murray's room to be 4808 while Scarlett Johansson's was 4607.
I wrote these numbers down on a note but since then I lost any reference to these findings, so take those numbers with a grain of salt.

onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

#3 Post by onesmokin3g » Tue Feb 15, 2022 1:31 am

Thank you for the reply. Looks like my eyesight was correct for Bob’s room. I thought I had read somewhere (probably here), that they actually only used 1 room during filming, and just rearranged the furniture. Not sure if that’s actually true or not. If they are separate rooms, that may be important in my choice...I like the view from Scarlet’s room and would probably try to book 4607 in that case. Do you remember how you came upon 4607?

Thank you!
-Chris

Currently lost in MN
No longer lost in CO
No longer lost in CA
Originally lost in PA

onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

#4 Post by onesmokin3g » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:57 pm

Just an interesting update for anyone following this with curiosity.

Bob’s room, 4808 is the “Diplomat” suite. A video of the room, complete with LiT music, was posted on YouTube not even a month ago. It’s quite the suite...and I also found confirmation elsewhere, from the Park Hyatt itself, that filming took place in one room - both Bob and Charlottes rooms were in fact set up within 4808. Which if you watch the video is easy to see how - the room is enormous!

https://youtu.be/AWk_KJe1kbU

So no way I can afford that room :lol:

I will however look for any of the “park view” rooms, as they are all on the same side of the 3 towers that 4808 is, so essentially, offering the same views.

Hope this helps someone!
-Chris

Currently lost in MN
No longer lost in CO
No longer lost in CA
Originally lost in PA

Bob_san
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bob_san » Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:44 pm

Hey folks thanks for posting this info for future LIT travelers making a pilgrimage to the Park Hyatt! :D
I saw this post when it came out and did some googling but couldn't find much definitive and planned to come back to it and now see this was updated.

First with regards to the Diplomat Suite - from the video it looks like the view from the living room is the park view.
But this suite is on a corner so the view out of the bedroom window is a different side. It's Charlotte's view.
So if one wants a room with one of those views but not a suite at that price then one needs to figure out which side it's on which using Google earth/maps shouldn't be too difficult.
Also note that in the video description is a link to a blog. There are multiple posts on their LIT trip and visits to various LIT sites!
https://black-harpoon.medium.com/
They also in one recreate in photos various scenes from the Park Hyatt!! Their blog alone deserves a separate post here!

I can see how using a suite would allow for more room for the crew and equipment that a small room alone would not allow for.
On the other hand it strikes me that maybe while they used the suite with furniture rearrangement, they may also have used crew rooms for other shots which don't seem to be apparent from this suite. But who knows!

This is a great article which explains how to stay in a room with the corner view in a lower priced room vs the very expensive suites!
https://dujour.com/life/park-hyatt-toky ... sted-room/
So while you may not stay in exactly Bob/Charlotte's room, it's more or less the same thing!
It also notes the best time of year for views.
I read somewhere that cherry blossom season is the most expensive.

Someone made a recreation of the scene where Charlotte is looking out the window and lists the room number:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pht6xXYbhcw

In other related, someone posted an extensive photo blog about their Park Hyatt stay here:
https://www.topmiles.com/blog/article/9 ... w-york-bar

onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

#6 Post by onesmokin3g » Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:01 pm

Thanks for all the extra info Bob_san! I hadn’t even noticed the link to their blog, and will dig into all the links you provided.
-Chris

Currently lost in MN
No longer lost in CO
No longer lost in CA
Originally lost in PA

redleader74
LIT Super Fan

#7 Post by redleader74 » Tue May 03, 2022 4:44 pm

All the best to you and your journey to live out your Lost In Translation experience!! I made my pilgrimage in 2016, took a small group tour that started and ended in Tokyo, after that my wife and stayed 4 nights at the Park Hyatt. Though it was just one of the regular rooms, to have watched the movie countless times over so many years, it was amazing to finally be there. The hotel looked every bit like what is shown in the movie. Being there in peson also solved a lot of mystery and confusion over where different parts of the hotel are in relation to each other. In particular, the entire foot journey Bob and and his welcome committee takes, from the entrance to the building, to the lobby and to his room.

One of my to-do's was to take have a picture taken in the New York Bar, similar to how Bob was shown in the bar. Granted, not in the exact same seat. Not to be dramatic, but the entire trip was a life changing experience....started taking Japanese classes (and still am), returned to Japan in 2017 and hope to return again next year. Please take lots of pics and share them here!
Attachments
IMG_0370sm.JPG
IMG_0370sm.JPG (31.25 KiB) Viewed 7353 times
私は ”ロスト・イン・トランスレーション” です。

onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

#8 Post by onesmokin3g » Fri May 06, 2022 12:20 am

Thanks Redleader! And thanks for sharing your story as well. It’ll take a bit of luck and hard work coming together to make next year happen, but I’m hopeful. I just returned from Iceland recently and fell in love with that place and now have conflicting desires as to whether to return or not before going to Japan. So we shall see. Either way, whenever the time comes, I’ll be using the info in this thread and elsewhere to help plan the trip and bookings, and will certainly post pics. 20 years does seem an appropriate time to make the trek though!
Last edited by onesmokin3g on Thu May 19, 2022 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Chris

Currently lost in MN
No longer lost in CO
No longer lost in CA
Originally lost in PA

redleader74
LIT Super Fan

#9 Post by redleader74 » Fri May 06, 2022 1:05 pm

Hopefully you can also visit the other places in the movie too. I know there are a bunch other old threads on this site with people documenting their own pilgrimages and visiting all the filming locations but I never get tired of seeing such posts. I know the film is now 20 years old so probably some of the places don't even exist anymore.

I also echo your feelings about conflicting desires...our first trip to Japan was in Nov/Dec 2016 and earlier that same year, in the spring, I was actually diligently researching and planning a trip to SWITZERLAND of all places. Yes, not even remotely close in any sense to Japan. Japan was always intriguing to me and all those years of watching LiT created a very forlorn and romantic feeling every time I watched it (especially the entire segment where Bob and Charlotte have their late night adventure with Charlie Brown and friends) but I had always concluded that it would be too difficult (due to language and culture) and expensive. And then just for fun I looked up some small group tours for Japan and found one that was actually affordable and suddenly everything changed and the rest is history. Europe will always have a terribly romantic place in my heart as that's where I first traveled independently many years ago, but Japan is.....well, I think you get the picture. :D

redleader74
LIT Super Fan

#10 Post by redleader74 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:38 pm

Hi onesmokin3g, just wanted to see how your trip planning as been, are you still headed to Tokyo and the Park Hyatt this year? :D

Bob_san
Site Admin

#11 Post by Bob_san » Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:23 am

redleader74 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:38 pm
Hi onesmokin3g, just wanted to see how your trip planning as been, are you still headed to Tokyo and the Park Hyatt this year? :D
Yes I want to know too! It's getting to be about that time!
The Lost in Translation Fan Site
http://www.weareawake.org

onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

#12 Post by onesmokin3g » Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:42 pm

Hi all!

Well, as life does, several things have gotten in the way of making this work for the 20th anniversary. I have a new goal, and that will be to make it for the 25th anniversary. A trip like this may very well be a once in a lifetime event, and I want to make sure I can do it “right”, and at the moment I would be unable to do that financially due to a few unforeseen things. So if you don’t mind Bob San, just keep this place up and running for a bit longer :lol:
-Chris

Currently lost in MN
No longer lost in CO
No longer lost in CA
Originally lost in PA

redleader74
LIT Super Fan

#13 Post by redleader74 » Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:08 am

onesmokin3g wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:42 pm
Hi all!

Well, as life does, several things have gotten in the way of making this work for the 20th anniversary. I have a new goal, and that will be to make it for the 25th anniversary. A trip like this may very well be a once in a lifetime event, and I want to make sure I can do it “right”, and at the moment I would be unable to do that financially due to a few unforeseen things. So if you don’t mind Bob San, just keep this place up and running for a bit longer :lol:
I am in full support!

My wife and I are beginning to brainstorm a pilgrimage for next year...with child in tow!