One of Nepal's 'living goddesses' stripped of status

Foreign or domestic, wherever you go, there you are! Tell us about your travels at home or away. Got any good travel/culture/customs tips?! Places to go or avoid or hidden gems?!
Pockets
Suntory Time

One of Nepal's 'living goddesses' stripped of status

#1 Post by Pockets » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:29 pm

It's tough to be a perfect girl or woman in Tibet. (I posted this story in here in case someone should have a chance to visit Tibet and see one of their Kumari.)

"Nepalese folklore holds that men who marry a former Kumari will die young, and so many girls remain unmarried and face a life of hardship."
One of Nepal's 'living goddesses' -- a 10-year-old -- stripped of status due to overseas trip

KATMANDU, Nepal -- A 10-year-old Nepalese girl was stripped of her title as a living goddess because she traveled overseas to promote a documentary about the centuries-old tradition, an official said Tuesday.

Sajani Shakya had her status revoked because she broke with tradition by leaving the country, said Jaiprasad Regmi, chief of the government trust which manages the affairs of the living goddesses.

Sajani is among several "Kumaris," or living goddesses, in Nepal, but as one of the kingdom's top three, is forbidden from leaving the country.

However, last month she left Nepal for the United States and other countries to promote a British documentary about the living goddesses of the Katmandu Valley. Sajani is to return to Nepal later this week.

"We have begun the process to search for a new Kumari," said Regmi, adding that a task force would be responsible for determining suitable candidates.

Living goddesses are worshipped by both Hindus and Buddhists. The girls are selected between the ages of 2 and 4 after going through several tests.

They are required to have perfect skin, hair, eyes and teeth, they shouldn't have scars or wounds, and shouldn't be afraid of the dark. They always wear red, pin up their hair in topknots and a "third eye" is painted on their forehead.

Devotees touch the girls' feet with their foreheads, the highest sign of respect among Hindus in Nepal.

During religious festivals the girls are wheeled around on a chariot pulled by devotees. Living goddesses usually keep their title until their first menstruation.

The main Kumari lives a sequestered life in a palatial temple in the capital, Katmandu. She has a few selected playmates and is allowed outside only a few times a year for festivals.

Others like Sajani are allowed to stay at home, attend regular school and take part in festivals.

The government last year announced a monthly pension of $40 for serving and retired Kumaris. Previously, the main Kumari received only a gold coin during an annual festival and the other girls received whatever was offered by devotees.

Nepalese folklore holds that men who marry a former Kumari will die young, and so many girls remain unmarried and face a life of hardship.

Critics have said the tradition violates both international and Nepalese laws on child rights.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#2 Post by Bob_san » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:20 pm

When I was in Nepal I saw the Kumari, the one at the time. If I find the photos maybe I will post them.
You don't always see the Kumari though. She comes out and looks out whenever she wants not on some schedule so when you go to the place where she lives, you may or may not see her. Anyway this is pretty sad. I want to see the documentary they were making at the time this occured.

Why do you say Tibet? Are there Kumari in Tibet also?