Dangerous Roads of the World

Foreign or domestic, wherever you go, there you are! Tell us about your travels at home or away. Got any good travel/culture/customs tips?! Places to go or avoid or hidden gems?!
Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

Dangerous Roads of the World

#1 Post by Just Like Honey... » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:15 am

I don't like posting links to articles, but this one is just too cool, and I think I can fit the first part of it in here. There are some other interesting things on the host site, too, and new content is added daily.
http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2006/11 ... world.html
This is the original article, as written by Avi Abrams in November, 2006 All rights reserved, @ Ian Media.

The Most Dangerous Roads in the World

1. Bolivia's "Road of Death"

North Yungas Road is hands-down the most dangerous in the world for motorists. If the previous road is just impassable, this one clearly endangers your life. It runs in the Bolivian Andes, 70 km from La Paz to Coroico, and plunges down almost 3,600 meters in an orgy of extremely narrow hairpin curves and 800-meter abyss near-misses. A fatal accident happens there every couple of weeks, 100-200 people perish there every year. In 1995 the Inter-American Development Bank named the La Paz-to-Coroico route "the world's most dangerous road."
Among the route there are many visible reminders of accidents, wreckages of lorries and trucks lie scattered around at the bottom...
The buses and heavy trucks navigate this road, as this is the only route available in the area. Buses crowded with locals go in any weather, and try to beat the incoming traffic to the curves. It does not help that the fog and vapors rise up from the heavily vegetated valley below, resulting in almost constant fogs and limited visibility. Plus the tropical downpours cause parts of the road to slide down the mountain.
Apparently some companies make business on the road's dubious fame by selling the extreme bike tours down that road. "Gravity Assisted Mountain Biking" is one of them. (you can read one such biker's account here.) If you are nuts enough to consider it, please be advised that you will be only adding to the road hazards, as it's hard to spot a cyclist on the road's hairpin curves, and your shrieks (as you fall down the abyss) will disturb the peace and quiet of the villagers nearby.

The whole thing is 3 pages long.

http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2006/11 ... world.html

Here are some highlights:
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.