Kelly's "Flash of "Intelligence""

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

Kelly's "Flash of "Intelligence""

#1 Post by hull_street » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:31 pm

OK, another minute detail of LiT: When Kelly starts her "my dad was an anorexic" story, look at her face. She self-consciously pulls a frown right after she says it. Does that look say, "what I'm about to say is complete bulls**t, I wonder if anyone will buy it" ?

It almost gives her a soul in the film (no matter how small-minded and stupid), so I doubt this will be a popular theory, but I think it shows that Kelly knows she's full of it, even while she's dishing it out. Kudos to Anna Faris for that one.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: Kelly's "Flash of "Intelligence""

#2 Post by jm » Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:31 pm

Why do you think this story is not true?
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#3 Post by hull_street » Sat Aug 28, 2004 10:02 pm

Why do you think this story is not true?
Good point. Really having an anorexic father might help explain the way Kelly turned out. :P
I just loved the way the facial expression was carried out by Anna. It was perfect for the character. Another detail that's so small, yet so telling.

I love this picture more every time I see it.

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#4 Post by KKDallas » Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:27 am

The anorexic father story caught my attention as well, but for a different reason. As she tells it, Kelly's father was told that the food he was given was poisoned. He then threw it up.

I thought anorexia was the medical condition that occurs when people, usually young women, have a distorted view of their bodies wherein they see a fat person but in reality they are really thin. They then over-exercise and under-eat in order to get thin in their eyes.

Wouldn't Kelly's dad really seem more likely to develop buliminia, the condition where you throw up your food in order to maintain or lose weight?

I saw Kelly's story as her attempt to be the center of attention but that she really didn't know the difference between anorexia or bulimia. Which then led me to believe she was making up the whole story to keep the focus on her. She struck me as someone always craving attention.

I watched the scene again and it is one of my favorites in LIT. Anna Faris subtle facial expression is priceless! Good catch!!