Always awake

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

hitori
Traveler

Always awake

#1 Post by hitori » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:40 am

In 2004 I divorced and moved from the warm comfort of my upbringing back to my roots of Maine. My then 4 year old son and I spent our off time playing halo and eating cold pizza on saturday mornings, while visiting the local video store who's owner slowly learned my likes/dislikes and offered me a movie I shrugged at but trusted her on.
I rented that movie once, then again, and again for weeks until Laura, the owner asked me why I didn't just go buy it.

The time in my life, the cold, the new, the lost personal feeling of restarting my life, was one of the dozens of reasons this movie was put at the very top of this film lovers movie list.

The sense of traveling to a foreign country is captured in many small snippets , subtle moments like when change is dropped into bobs hand at the club...

I'm not embarrassed to say after renting this movie for over 40 times (sidebar: why do this?....at that time I think holding it, watching it, and letting it go, was some weird metaphorical thing I just had to do), I I've married and have four wonderful kids and watch it frequently and having it burned to my server with easy access through the xbox have easily surpassed the 100 mark.

I'm a movie lover, there are no genre's I can't respect...but I honestly do not believe there will come a day that I say this particular movie is ..."nothing more than this"....(ironically watching now with that scene).

- Hitori

Pitman
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Pitman » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Thanks for posting your story. Very touching. As I said before, to me this movie is an event.

Thanks again!

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#3 Post by jeffyen » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:55 am

I'm listening to youtube versions of Aloneinkyoto and reading this forum... this movie is an event all right.. and it doesn't seem to lose its magic ever!

Bob_san
Site Admin

#4 Post by Bob_san » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:51 am

Great story and welcome to the forum!