This Movie....The 1st Time. 2nd Time

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

This Movie....The 1st Time. 2nd Time

#1 Post by You Make it Easy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:40 pm

Haven't posted here in forever...but every single time I rewatch(which is right now)this great movie, I can't help but think of the first time I ever watched LIT.

My parents rented and I was like ok I'll just watch this on my own. I still think back to all the little things I had no idea was going on. I was just trying to figure what the movie was about. It actually took me til the 2nd watch thru to understand the full aspect of this movie.

The fact I was drawn back to watch it a 2nd time is what really compels me. I know for a fact I had no idea what Coppola was showing me until the 2nd time. For me it shows so much.

Also good to see there are still new fans finding this place.
Waiting to be found...

hitori
Traveler

#2 Post by hitori » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:44 pm

I know what you mean, beautifully however, each time I watch it I am filled with nostalgic melancholy that no other film has given me.
My first time was at the suggestion of a local video store owner, I'm glad I accepted :)

Whats also wonderful about the movie is the different stages of life both Bob and Charlotte are in, as a father of four I can appreciate where Bob is in life, and always loved his definition of children, to Charlotte as they lay on the bed together. On the other hand I can appreciate Charlotte's position when she finds herself suddenly "awake", wondering how she arrived at this place and time in her life, truly lost and not sure of where she's going or why she's where she is (I think we all get there in our early 20's :wink:).

Bob_san
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bob_san » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:02 am

hitori wrote: as a father of four I can appreciate where Bob is in life, and always loved his definition of children, ......she arrived at this place and time in her life, truly lost and not sure of where she's going or why she's where she is (I think we all get there in our early 20's :wink:).
Indeed! Yes what Bob said about kids took on a whole new meaning once I became a parent and for a few years! You've got 4?! Wow!

SuperDuper
Lost In Tokyo

#4 Post by SuperDuper » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Good topic!

The first time I watched was after my graduation from university and I was jobless. I could actually relate to Charlotte's character a lot. Looking back, and watching it subsequent times, I think back to those period of my life.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#5 Post by samwright8380 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:41 pm

I think seeing the film for the first time led me to consider the direction I was going in at that point in time. I'm not sure that the film was pivotal in itself, but it certainly provided a catalyst for a change within myself. I think it was seeing these two characters so far removed from their normality that inspired the notion within me that I could strive to experience things myself that I previously hadn't considered since I was a child. To go climb mountains and travel the other side of the world. I haven't seen LIT in a long time now, but I hope that when I do so again I will be able to do so with an increased awareness for the nuances of emotion.