Finally saw this masterpiece 9 years late

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

vlps
Tourist

Finally saw this masterpiece 9 years late

#1 Post by vlps » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:11 am

Hey guys,

This is probably the only movie I've seen that's made me go out of my way to find a group of people to talk about it with, and while although this forum is probably not as active as when the movie originally came out, I had to speak my views on this film. First off I happened to watch this film simply because I was on a Scarlett Johansson moviethon. When it came to watching this film, I was about to skip over it because I'm a pretty manly guy and not into romance films. I watched the trailer on youtube and still wasn't sold, but the countless comments saying "best movie I've ever seen" was enough to get me to watch it. The 90 minutes I spent watching this movie were one of the most profound moments in my movie watching career. I can't recall any movie or any life event for that matter that had such an impact an powerful message, leaving me depressed, happy, and hopeful all at the same time. Being a 21 year old about to graduate college, I can completely relate to Charlotte, I am sort of lost in life, not sure what I'm meant to be and where to go, so I completely sympathized with her character. The thing that separated this movie from standard romance films was that the connection between Scarlett and Bob was completely emotional and not physical and it made the movie so much better. Watching their relationship develop made me hopeful and more eager to look for a similar connection to someone in my life. The movie's soundtrack was beautiful and absolutely perfect for this movie. I've watched this movie about 5 times in the last month or so and it's just had such an impact on me that I can't stop thinking about it. It's amazing that two people can be completely lost, confused, and alone and then end up connecting on a level where nothing else in the world matters, living in a moment where "there's nothing more than this". This movie changed my opinion about not wanting to find a life long partner, it made me realize that it's okay to not know "who you are" because at any moment you can find someone that makes everything else in the world entirely unimportant.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#2 Post by Bob_san » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:32 am

That's fantastic - you've been bitten by the bug! And welcome to the forum!

Luigi
Lost In Tokyo

Welcome

#3 Post by Luigi » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Welcome to the forum! Even though this place is not as busy as it used to be, there are plenty of interesting threads to read.

hitori
Traveler

#4 Post by hitori » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 pm

Very cool to hear your experience, my first time watching caught me off guard as well, and threw me for a wonderful loop.

I first saw this movie before Scarlett was as known/popular as today, so for me to see her in Avengers, watching with my kids, is like '....what is Charlotte doing pretending to be a ninja....'.

Continue to enjoy watching it, and I can promise you, years down the road it will continue to bring smiles and melancholy.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#5 Post by samwright8380 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:15 pm

Good to see that this film still continues to have an effect on people. And also, welcome :)

SunsetOdds
Wide Awake

fellow new person

#6 Post by SunsetOdds » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:20 pm

Hello!
It seems you have had a similar experience to me. I could only vaguely remember when this film came out through my siblings word of mouth. I finally watched it later in early 2012. It shocks me how real my reactions to this film are, how genuine my melancholy and optimism was. What a film.

Side note; that song 'sometimes' that played during the car ride home is part of the album loveless by My Bloody Valentine. Have just listened to it and is rediscovering the feelings I felt on the first watch.

I will shut up now,
SunsetOdds

Bob_san
Site Admin

Re: fellow new person

#7 Post by Bob_san » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:46 am

SunsetOdds wrote:Hello!
It seems you have had a similar experience to me.

Side note; that song 'sometimes' that played during the car ride home is part of the album loveless by My Bloody Valentine. Have just listened to it and is rediscovering the feelings I felt on the first watch.

I will shut up now,
SunsetOdds
Cool and no, no need to shut up now, keep going, this is a discussion forum after all!!

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#8 Post by jeffyen » Fri May 10, 2013 11:29 pm

hitori wrote:Very cool to hear your experience, my first time watching caught me off guard as well, and threw me for a wonderful loop.

I first saw this movie before Scarlett was as known/popular as today, so for me to see her in Avengers, watching with my kids, is like '....what is Charlotte doing pretending to be a ninja....'.

Continue to enjoy watching it, and I can promise you, years down the road it will continue to bring smiles and melancholy.
I remember reading that she trained for months and did the stunts herself. So she's probably not 'pretending' lol