LiT Ultimate Soundtrack (67 tracks)

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Mr Kazu
Awake

#21 Post by Mr Kazu » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:40 am

A couple things. My preference is for the original performers, so that would mean the BB King version of The Thrill is Gone, the Nick Lowe version, and the Roxy Music version of More Than This. Not a big deal, just my preference. I kind of think Goodbye should be listed with the bonus tracks since afaik we don't hear it in the movie. Maybe they had a choice & they went with Tommib instead? I think I would put Girls at the end since it's on the closing credits. & I don't see Hito ni Yasashiku by the Blue Hearts on the list anywhere. It was another track from an arcade. & Scarborough Fair by Simon & Garfunkel.

& in addition to the scene descriptions how about listing what time all the tracks come on in the movie? & putting it all into a proper table? :P
"Let's never come here again because it would never be as much fun."

foxchosen
Lost In Tokyo

#22 Post by foxchosen » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:54 pm

Mr Kazu wrote:A couple things...
My preference is for the original performers, so that would mean the BB King version of The Thrill is Gone, the Nick Lowe version, and the Roxy Music version of More Than This. Not a big deal, just my preference. I kind of think Goodbye should be listed with the bonus tracks since afaik we don't hear it in the movie. Maybe they had a choice & they went with Tommib instead? I think I would put Girls at the end since it's on the closing credits. & I don't see Hito ni Yasashiku by the Blue Hearts on the list anywhere. It was another track from an arcade. & Scarborough Fair by Simon & Garfunkel.

& in addition to the scene descriptions how about listing what time all the tracks come on in the movie? & putting it all into a proper table? :P
Great, a constructive comment! :D

With "The thrill is gone", I can see what you're going for. To be honest, I don't even remember how I ended up with Julie London on the list, I guess she sounds a bit more like Catherine than other performers, her version has a more bar feel to it. But neither of them made the original, the orig is actually from 1950s.
I'm still hoping to talk to Catherine, perhaps this recording does exist as well.

Lowe / Castello question is still open, so far one vote for each.
I do agree however that Bob seems to be going for Castello's sound during the karaoke segment so I'm leaning towards that version now as well.

Roxy Music over Bill Murray? You can't be serious...
Same with "Scarborough Fair". When you have Catherine's movie version in mp3, the original is out of question :lol:

"Goodbye" in the bonus section is a good point, I must've mixed up the numbers as it used to be there.

"Girls"? Did you mean "City Girl"? It used to be at the end, after Just like honey. I moved it up to see how it feels there, since it does appear briefly in the movie right at the beginning when the movie name shows with Charlotte... eh, resting.
But I agree, the beginning of the soundtrack is nice and slow and it does kinda feel out of place there. Moving back.

If you have "Hito ni Yasashiku" by the Blue Hearts, could you please upload it to the folder?
I will make a placeholder for it in the meantime.

51+3 tracks, yay!

Feel free to get the times together and make a nice table for it, I won't complain :D
I'm stuck. Does it get easier?

Mr Kazu
Awake

#23 Post by Mr Kazu » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:49 pm

Like I say, just my preference, it's your soundtrack :) Here's a version of Hito ni yasahiku. You might recognise it as a song a guy is playing in the arcade in one scene. I don't know if there's a way to get an mp3 out of it or not
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX-jV-XQPh0

foxchosen
Lost In Tokyo

#24 Post by foxchosen » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:56 am

Mr Kazu wrote:I don't know if there's a way to get an mp3 out of it or not...
I found some fan video on YouTube which used what seemed to be the album version. Grabbed the MP3 from that and added it to the folder.

Still struggling with The Mary Butterworth Group - "Feeling I Get" though, does anyone have it?
My torrent is stuck on 76% and I can't seem to find it anywhere else...

Mr Kazu
Awake

#25 Post by Mr Kazu » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:59 pm

that's on youtube also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMfB8CL1pug

cheezo :P

Good luck finding an original on vinyl. Supposedly it's extremely rare.

foxchosen
Lost In Tokyo

#26 Post by foxchosen » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:21 am

Mr Kazu wrote:that's on youtube also...
I have no idea how I managed to miss this.
Let's pretend this didn't happen. :D

(quietly grabs the mp3 and uploads it to dropbox) :lol:

Mr Kazu
Awake

Re: LiT Ultimate Soundtrack (53tracks)

#27 Post by Mr Kazu » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:36 am

(copied from OP) I don't know how to put this into a table so hopefully I can still keep this tidy. This is sort of what I meant before. I'll have to add the times the tracks come on in the movie later.

black - Original / Enhanced ST
silver - Dialogue
blue - Extra tracks not on any ST
red - RARE movie versions

Day 1 (Friday)
Bob - arrives, bar with fanboys

1. Intro - Tokyo - Yellow Generation
2. Girls - Death In Vegas
3. Short and sweet, very japanese
4. The Thrill Is Gone - Julie London

Day 2 (Saturday)
Bob - fax @ 4:20am, elevator with Charlotte, commercial shoot, old self on TV, premium fantasy
Charlotte - shrine, stubs toe

5. On The Subway - Reitzell & Manning
6. Sorry, what did you say
7. Fantino - Sebastian Teller
8. I'll Stop Later

Day 3 (Sunday)
Bob - breakfast in room, invite to Tanabe Mori, photo shoot, gets oysters(?) from Charlotte
Charlotte - dinosaurs @ Shibuya, sends oysters to Bob

9. Shibuya - Reitzell & Manning
10. Photo shoot music
11. Where The Hell Is The Whiskey
12. Scarborough Fair - Catherine Lambert (movie version)

Day 4 (Monday)
Bob - limps in lobby, hara-kiri on tv, can't sleep, bar
Charlotte - meets Kelly, Evelyn Waugh was a man, ikebana, cd in tub, can't sleep, bar, Posche, etc

13. Not Everybody Went To Yale
14. Did You Ever Wonder What Your Purpose In Life Is
15. Ikebana - Kevin Shields
16. Blue Atmosphere
17. For Relaxing Times

Day 5 (Tuesday)
Bob - pool with ladies, bar, prison break
Charlotte - Arcade, Shibuya, bar, no hip-hop, power cleanse

18. Love Gun - Rick James
19. Hito Ni Yasashiku - Blue Hearts
20. Yume Ari - Des-Row Union
21. You Stepped Out Of A Dream - Catherine Lambert (movie version)
22. I'm Trying To Organize A Prison Break

Day 6 (Wednesday)
Bob - burgundy carpet, camo shirt, too tall/small, Pizza of Death, etc
Charlotte - John leaves for Fukuoka (back on Sunday), Tommib, pool, invites Bob out

23. Tommib - Squarepusher
24. You Really Are Having A Midlife Crisis
25. The State We're In - Chemical Brothers
26. Where's Your Room Key
27. Feeling I Get - The Mary Butterworth Group
28. Too Young - Phoenix
29. The Sex Pistols - God Save The Queen
30. Nick Lowe - Peace Love And Understanding
31. Brass In Pocket - Pretenders
32. More Than This - Bill Murray
33. Kaze Wo Atsumete - Happy End
34. Sometimes - My Bloody Valentine

Day 7 (Thursday)
Bob - day off, golf, lunch(?) w/Charlotte, brack toe, hospital, putting practice, strip club, avoid Kelly, Are You Awake?
Charlotte - lunch w/Bob, shows toe, hospital, Louise the Owl, movies & sake in Bob's room, hand on foot, etc

35. That Toe Is Almost Dead
36. F*ck The Pain Away - Peaches
37. They're Taking a Dance Class
38. Nobody Does It Better - Carly Simon
39. Are You Awake - Kevin Shields
40. No, You Smiled
41. La Dolce Vita - Nino Rota
42. It Gets Easier

Day 8 (Friday)
Bob - bathroom, tiny razor, escapes out of lobby, does Tanabe Mori show, pics of Weds night, phone in spa, Germans in sauna, watches self grab eels
Charlotte - Kyoto, shrine, wedding, etc

43. Alone In Kyoto - Air

Day 9 (Saturday)
Bob - room with singer, cringes
Charlotte - invites to sushi place in Daikanyama, scowls @ Bob, fire drill, jazz band, awkward elevator ride, etc

44. l Guess You're Busy
45. Midnight At The Oasis - Maria Muldaur
46. When Are You Leaving
47. So Into You - Mark Willms (movie version)
48. We'll Start A Jazz Band

Day 10 (Sunday)
Bob - phone to get jacket, awkward goodbye, whisper, etc
Charlotte - fax from John arriving tonight, awkward goodbye, whisper, etc

49. Ok
50. Just Like Honey - The Jesus And Mary Chain
51. City Girl - Kevin Shields

BONUS tracks related to the movie
60. 50 Floors Up - Kevin Shields (from Japanese OST)
61. Goodbye - Kevin Shields (because while not used in the film, it's included in Enhanced Soundtrack)
62. Alone in Kyoto (Lazy Session Mix) - Air (in my opinion nicer and more powerful than original, but don't want to replace the original in the list)
63. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace Love And Understanding - Elvis Costello (might change Nick Lowe's version for this)

foxchosen
Lost In Tokyo

Re: LiT Ultimate Soundtrack (53tracks)

#28 Post by foxchosen » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:25 pm

Mr Kazu wrote:(copied from OP) I don't know how to put this into a table so hopefully I can still keep this tidy. This is sort of what I meant before. I'll have to add the times the tracks come on in the movie later.
I see what you mean, and though it's interesting to think of the movie this way (I never looked at it as days of the week), it feels like a strong information overload for a simple soundtrack list.

I was thinking more along these lines, maybe even leave out the scene description altogether...
2. Girls - Death In Vegas (1:00, taxi ride to hotel)

Of course, all that preferably in a fancy html table that I can't seem to get working since BB is struggling with even basics like ordered lists :D

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#29 Post by samwright8380 » Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:12 pm

Wow, this is amazing work! I've sent you a PM if you don't mind.

Luigi
Lost In Tokyo

#30 Post by Luigi » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:23 am

Fantastic work!

I have just downloaded it and I'm on the second track. I let you know my thoughts soon...

Thank you very much for compiling this!

By the way, next month I will complete 10 years as a member of this forum. Wow, time flies! :)

foxchosen
Lost In Tokyo

#31 Post by foxchosen » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:57 am

As I'm getting messages every once in a while if the collection is still available...

Yes, yes it is :wink:

morethanthis
Traveler

#32 Post by morethanthis » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:42 am

Thanks for sharing! I'm listening right now, some nice additions to the OST. Brings back memories :D

Riddleman
Tourist

#33 Post by Riddleman » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:09 pm

:o

Good job. Lots of songs which I completely forgot, but come back to my mind, as soon as I listened to them :idea:

brandon_san
Tourist

#34 Post by brandon_san » Thu May 01, 2014 12:47 am

Wow! This is so amazing. Thank you for putting it all together. I've sent you a PM, can't wait to listen! I love the idea of being able to carry even more of the film with me as I walk around everyday.

EndorphinBinge
Tourist

#35 Post by EndorphinBinge » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:18 am

I've sent a PM, hope to hear back!

minato
Tourist

#36 Post by minato » Sun Oct 12, 2014 4:00 pm

Hi,
I just would like say hello to this forum and thank you so much for great soundtrack. It's amazing.

m

Milloman
Tourist

#37 Post by Milloman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:36 am

Hey all, this forum is amazing to discover as a long-term fan of the film, and I'm super psyched about getting this soundtrack when foxchosen has a chance!! :D

Milloman
Tourist

#38 Post by Milloman » Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:42 am

Huge thanks to FoxChosen for getting me hooked up to his dropbox to download this!!!

I noticed that the movie versions of most if not all of these tracks are in fact pitched slightly higher and run a slightly higher tempo. I was trying to edit them all simply using Audacity to make these changes, but my audio card must suck because the output quality isn't the best. It's OK, but I can notice some fall off in quality.

Also added plenty of big-room reverb and background bar noise to the bar scene tracks to transport me right back to the movie :D

I can add if desired, let me know by PM :)

foxchosen
Lost In Tokyo

#39 Post by foxchosen » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:13 am

What a year :)
Since I started all this, 31 fans have asked me for access to the Ultimate soundtrack and the feedback was always great.

I'm glad you guys enjoy my little collection!
Have fun ;)
F

Shavedice210
Tourist

#40 Post by Shavedice210 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:44 am

Thank you fox for taking the time to make this compilation. You responded to my request promptly and politely considering the difference between our time zones.

It is now going to be 2am and i just finished listening to the entire collection. Great work! Especially on Mark Willms's So Into You (movie version). This is perfect studying music for me. Haven't decided between replaying the soundtrack or playing the movie as a study for this Calc test. Thanks again.

Wish i found this forum during its prime.