Fun With Audio

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

Fun With Audio

#1 Post by hull_street » Sat Sep 04, 2004 10:21 pm

If you want to experience some of the best laughs in LiT, look no further than the French language option. Sometime during Charlie Brown's version of "God Save the Queen", switch to the French track, and watch the rest of the karaoke scene.

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#2 Post by KKDallas » Tue Sep 07, 2004 1:37 pm

I did this over the long weekend. It was weird hearing "French Bob" singing in English. :o

I also played it, with and without English subtitles, when Bob was speaking French to the Japanese surfer at the bar, just before the BB gun scene. I wanted to know what those 2 were talking about but nothing was translated.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#3 Post by hull_street » Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:54 pm

Scarlett's voice is just beautiful. I thought it was a shame they ditched it for "French Charlotte".

I believe "French Bob" could give Kelly some stiff competition in a karaoke battle.

I wonder how the "Lip My Stockings" scene translates on the French track. I doubt that they have the same "Lip/Rip" similarity in French, so it would be interesting to find out which words they used instead.

Nijal
Traveler

#4 Post by Nijal » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:05 am

I don't know about French, but in Italian it sounds "Slappale" :lol:

#5 Post by Guest » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:38 pm

a question to the european folks here: are all the foreign language versions dubbed?? or could you watch in english and just read subtitles?
i guess it's what we're used to here in america but if i had to watch anything dubbed, it would make me crazy. i'd avoid it altogether.

and, you've got to listen to scarlett's voice!!....to me, it's one of her appealing traits
:wink:

#6 Post by Guest » Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:22 pm

Another "guest" here...

Here in Germany, the dubbed version was standard fare, the English original also played, but on fewer screens in arthouse-like cinemas.

I've never listened to a complete dubbed version, just played around with the DVD and what I noticed, the "German Charlotte" sounds like she's 14 to me, while the "French Charlotte" seems 30ish.
Replacing Scarlett's voice...just shouldn't be done.