"Welcome to Tokio" - bonus featurette on German DV

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

osullic
Traveler

"Welcome to Tokio" - bonus featurette on German DV

#1 Post by osullic » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:58 am

The German DVD of Lost in Translation is supposed to include a bonus featurette called "Welcome to Tokio" (or "Welcome to Tokyo" in full English I guess). DVDCompare.net lists the runtime as 6:18.
Does anybody know if it's possible to see this featurette online anywhere?

I actually bought the German DVD from Amazon.de just for this and another couple of bonus features not on my original DVD, and the German DVD just arrived but the Welcome to Tokio featurette is not among the bonus features listed on the rear cover. Can anyone confirm if the featurette is on the German DVD and not listed on the rear cover? I'm hesitating about opening the shrinkwrap to find out if it is in fact on the DVD I received, because, if not, I'd rather return the DVD and look elsewhere for a copy that has all the bonus features I'm missing.

osullic
Traveler

#2 Post by osullic » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:04 pm

After a little web searching, I came across this review in German that indicates that the Welcome to Tokio featurette is just an ad for an airline and not actually related to the movie at all. So I went ahead and opened my new German DVD, seeing as the cover does list all of the other bonus features missing from my original DVD.

As it turns out, the Welcome to Tokio featurette is indeed on my new DVD even if it's not listed on the cover. And as the review above said, it is just a 6-minute (slightly dated) promotional video for All Nippon Airways (ANA) and an ANA-affiliated hotel (The Strings Hotel Tokyo), and nothing at all to do with Lost in Translation. Really kind of a bizarre inclusion on the DVD.

Just for reference, here is the list of bonus features on the German DVD:
Behind the Scenes (in English with German subtitles, just some behind the scenes footage at various points during the movie shoot, running for 4:32)
Deleted Scenes (in English, same as on LiT DVDs from other countries)
Conversation with Bill Murray and Sofia Coppola (in English with German subtitles, same as on LiT DVDs from other countries)
Kevin Shields "City Girl" music video
Making Of (in English with German subtitles, called 'Lost On Location' documentary on LiT DVDs from other countries)
Interviews (in English with German subtitles)
- Bill Murray
- Scarlett Johansson
- Giovanni Ribisi
- Sofia Coppola
- Ross Katz
Cast/Crew Info (text, in German, about Bill Murray, Scarlett Johansson, Giovanni Ribisi, Anna Faris, Sofia Coppola, Francis Ford Coppola)
"Der besondere Filmtipp" (separate trailer for German movie 'Sams in Gefahr')
Welcome to Tokio (Werbeclip) (in German, as described above)
Matthew's Best Hit (in Japanese/English, same as on LiT DVDs from other countries)
Trailers (in German)
- Lost in Translation
- The Guys
- Autobahnraser
- Die Klasse von '99
- Vergiss mein nicht! (Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind)

Bob_san
Site Admin

#3 Post by Bob_san » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:37 pm

That's very interesting. It looks like aside from the Nippon Airways thing, the rest is what is on the English / Region 1 dvd. Is that correct?

I did a search on youtube and could not find this Nippon Airways featurette. However since a lot of airlines are putting their inflight and tv ads on youtube, would you be able to extract it and put it on youtube for us to see?!

osullic
Traveler

#4 Post by osullic » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:26 am

Here is the 'Welcome to Tokio' clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEWs4MnSGBE
It looks like aside from the Nippon Airways thing, the rest is what is on the English / Region 1 dvd. Is that correct?
The German DVD includes some "behind the scenes" footage (runtime 4:32) and five interview clips (Bill Murray 1:57, Scarlett Johansson 4:50, Giovanni Ribisi 1:05, Sofia Coppola 4:35, Ross Katz 3:04), which don't feature on the R1 DVD I think.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bob_san » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:22 pm

Thanks!