love

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

hitori
Traveler

love

#1 Post by hitori » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:54 pm

There is nothing about this movie that ever gets old. From the first day that my local video store owner recommended the movie in 2004 (ya...an actual video store existed!!) til now...ok, going to go enjoy my 1 million+ time watching - hope this finds you all very very well :) :)

Bob_san
Site Admin

#2 Post by Bob_san » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:35 am

That's awesome! :D

azhitnik
Tourist

#3 Post by azhitnik » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:20 pm

Hitori - I've got my work cut out for me to catch up with your 1 million viewings, but I'm at around 300 and counting...

Bob_san - thanks for the site. Even if it's not that active, I still very much enjoy reading all that's been written here.

The Chimp
Tourist

#4 Post by The Chimp » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:26 am

Wow, and I thought I was a big fan of the movie... until I checked out the weareawake forum. You guys are the hardcore LIT fans.

I think people will still be watching it in 100 years time as a timeless classic love story. Well done to Bob and every member of weareawake.

T-Dot
Traveler

#5 Post by T-Dot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:43 pm

Hi friends! I haven't been here in a while but it's so great to stop in and see that this site is still alive and kicking.
Thanks, bob_san

Duguesclin
Lost In Jet Lag

yes LOVE is the right wording here

#6 Post by Duguesclin » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:38 am

That beautiful Movie will survive to all deseases as time, cataclysm and any other remake or bad copies..Bob and Charlotte are in our hearts FOR EVER...Indeed the more I see it the more I love it.
Nothing more than this!

Atlanta Bill
Traveler

#7 Post by Atlanta Bill » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:19 pm

The Chimp wrote:
I think people will still be watching it in 100 years time as a timeless classic ...
I was thinking about this c-word a few months ago. "Classic." What turns a phenomenon or a blockbuster into a classic? Movie channels on cable TV abuse the word classic e.g. AMC or TCM. Yes, TCM has Casablanca, but they regularly show Viva Las Vegas, too. So when does a classic become a classic?

I think The Chimp is right about the "test of time" his comment implies. But it is not just time. There has to be somehting else.

There are films like Citizen Kane, which broke ground in many aspects of film making and thus is a benchmark film for all time. But people do not watch it regularly, because it does not bring out in the viewer any genuine emotional identification with the characters.

Conversely, Casablanca was only noted as an advancement of the film art to the extent to which it showed what truly talented people behind the camera can do in a studio-lot-bound production. They just created a film that remains emotionally inspiring and awesomely entertaining. The reason we watch it is we are still pulled into the lives of the people involved.

And that is why The Chimp will be proven correct in 2103.

Casablanca's story is not less compelling today because the WW II setting is 70+ years in the past, there are no computers or cell phones, and the Hays Code prevented Rick and Elsa from doing anything more than noting Rick "let her pretend." So, too, The Park Hyatt's key locks, Bob's flip phone, and increasingly dated automobiles will not cause LiT to fade.

In fact, I think just the opposite will happen. It will be rediscovered by each generation. Sophia Coppola captured some level of knife-cutting human truth that can not be taken away by the passage of time. In fact, I would suspect that with the removal of associated time and place experiences, the human components of the story will be even clearer for the viewers.

This is not to say the film will not be studied for its art. In fact, I think that such will be why the film will be studied. From a short and highly flexible script and with limited resources in every dimension of production, Coppola was able to cut deep into the core two people and allow us to experience their interactions with each other and the world around them. Her work will challenge directors for generations: She did it; why can't you?
Atlanta Bill