What were they saying......

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Mischa_Lane
Tourist

What were they saying......

#1 Post by Mischa_Lane » Mon May 03, 2004 2:10 am

Hello!!

What was Bob whispering to Charlotte at the end of the movie while they were hugging?????????

Thanks!!!!

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#2 Post by Suntory » Mon May 03, 2004 10:31 am

Ah! The great debate begins!

I'm going to try and find on some forum where a guy said he was in a theature where the volume was very loud and he said what he heard. However when I went again it didn't sound to me like that was correct.

I think he told her he had a great time with her and that she will find herself someday.

sheyit
Lost In Jet Lag

#3 Post by sheyit » Mon May 03, 2004 11:43 am

Bob:
"I hope people don't ask what we're talking about here cause they just aren't supposed to know!"

Only kidding...

Its what makes the movie magic. If you find out, the end loses its punch - simple as that.

Mischa_Lane
Tourist

#4 Post by Mischa_Lane » Tue May 04, 2004 3:01 am

Thanks!

haha, I just really wanted to know...I was so sad when he left. He should have stayed. But reality is having to leave...I guess.. gah.

Amazing movie.

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

My Musings Only About the Whisper

#5 Post by phillygalinutah » Tue May 04, 2004 5:50 pm

Bill and Scarlett have already said they'll never reveal what his character Bob whispered.

And it's what captivates all us moviegoer fans of LIT!

It was clearly obvious that Bob experienced a deep connection with Charlotte in their short days together. I think they both helped each other feel special and valued for themselves in another's eyes again.

My thoughts are that Bob said, "Charlotte, you're the best person I've met for a long time. Never forget your special, okay!"

Luigi
Lost In Tokyo

Hear the whisper

#6 Post by Luigi » Wed May 05, 2004 12:31 am

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

Guess My Hearing Isn't So Great

#7 Post by phillygalinutah » Wed May 05, 2004 4:57 pm

:roll: Luigi...don't be so coy...spell out what you think that audio said.

All I could hear sounded like don't worry, don't let.....okay? :o

Okay, Luigi, I Gave it a Better Effort

#8 Post by Guest » Wed May 05, 2004 5:48 pm

:roll: Spoiler..don't read if you believe what I heard :shock:

...on the way back, tell him the truth, okay?

Awww....I prefer Bob telling Charlotte she's special, and then she could take that wisdom, and move on with her life if her hubby can't see it too :!:

Random Drift
Traveler

This is what I heard

#9 Post by Random Drift » Thu May 06, 2004 5:50 pm

Spoiler

If I heard correct

this is a spoiler.

If not

it doesn't matter

I heard: When I see you at the next bla bla, don't forget to tell me that you love me.

I'm not sure about the part before the bla bla, but pretty sure about the part after that.
Living in Oblivion

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Getting together later

#10 Post by jm » Sat May 08, 2004 12:20 am

"Just to re-run something I posted on the dead site, about them getting back together if not actually the whisper.

Here is Bill Murray's opinion from the French site for the film:

[quote:6bcedc62af]Well, I think what happens is he's touched by someone who has -- he's touched by this girl, he's touched by her, so that there's an emotional energy that he will always have, you know, whether he has the same vitality for his work, or for the regime of the day, maybe not, but to be emotionally touched is to be fresh and be alive and be new, uh, and it's a shock for him to feel something where, in his own personal relationship, it had become perhaps mundane and ordinary. So there was a new old feeling. He had an old feeling again that he liked. And he responded to it. And, but because his life had developed, and he was more of a developed man, he wasn't going to let -- he wasn't going to spoil that. Which was what Sofia was trying to say, that he knew how to have an exchange with someone, and to spend time with someone, and be intimate with someone without becoming invasive and damaging to the other person or to his own life....

Well, I think I tried to watch him go and to be him and to watch him at the same time. So that as he was reacting and behaving, that he was -- that I was watching him. And I think that's what his character was doing, he's doing things and he's watching himself . He knows what's happening: he sees the attraction of this woman, he sees the situation, he sees how far away he is from his home, and he knows, he feels the pull of the emoition pulling him towards the woman and he feels the pull towards his own home. And he's just watching it, and I think it's his watching it that enables him to maintain his dignity, and to do the best thing for himself and for Scarlett's character. To do the best thing for the girl and for himself -- and if he hadn't been watching, and the moment he's not watching is when he falls for the girl in the bar, you know? But partly that moment occurs he doesn't want to spoil the other thing, he doesn't want to spoil with the other girl. He knows he's a man and he's weak, maybe he has his weaknesses, but he doesn't want to be weak for her, with her.
[/quote:6bcedc62af]

And Scarlett Johansson's from Tribute TV in Canada.

[quote:6bcedc62af]INTERVIEWER. Because a lot of people I talked to, you know, did want them to get together, but I --

Miss JOHANSSON. Ew, no --

INTERVIEWER. Yes.

Miss JOHANSSON. -- why?

INTERVIEWER. I agree.

Miss JOHANSSON. No. But she loves her husband, the husband is -- and it would have ruined everything they had, and, and and and and, and she loves her husband, and she's so cute, and they're just in a bad spot, and there's hope for them, you know? It would have been awful if they had consumated that love for one another. It would have been a different movie, really.
[/quote:6bcedc62af]"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random Drift
Traveler

They don't end up together

#11 Post by Random Drift » Sat May 08, 2004 5:12 pm

I don't think they end up together either. I think want he whispers is suppose to be a kind of joke. I cannot make out where he says they will see each other again (see my previous post), but I think it's suppose to be some place where they will obviously not meet. Something like "when I see you at the next "hotel in some foreign country", don't forget .....

I think from the very beginning of the film it is clear that they cannot end up together. Thats what makes it so much fun to watch.
Living in Oblivion

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: They don't end up together

#12 Post by jm » Sat May 08, 2004 7:45 pm

"[quote:49b3838c81="Random Drift"]I don't think they end up together either. I think want he whispers is suppose to be a kind of joke. [/quote:49b3838c81]

Sofia has said -- sorry not to have a URL at my fingertips to post -- that she envisioned that he would express his feelings for her, since Charlotte has been pretty expressive and has wanted something back from him. And Sofia has also said that one point of it is that they don't get back together."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arluss
Traveler

#13 Post by Arluss » Sun May 09, 2004 11:04 pm

I'd like to guess but would rather not know what Bob whispered in Charlotte's ear. Just as I would rather not know what is inside the brief case in Pulp Fiction.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#14 Post by Suntory » Mon May 10, 2004 10:46 am

And we will never know what was in the box or briefcase, if I remember correctly, in the movie Repoman!!!

I think there are plenty of people who can relate to some aspect or aspects of Bob and Charlotte's relationship from their own experiences.
I have a female friend who went to a convention and had a mad crazy fling with a married guy when she was young. After seeing the movie she told me about it and how she could relate to it. Not the same but similer.

sooner77
Stocking Lipper

#15 Post by sooner77 » Thu May 20, 2004 2:56 pm

Although Bob never says anything about where he lives, I'm assuming it's LA. Another interesting thing is that I can't recall ever hearing what Charlotte's last name is. Even if Bob wanted to get in touch with her, he wouldn't know whom to call, and Bob's number is probably unlisted. :-)

kelvin
Tourist

#16 Post by kelvin » Sun Jun 06, 2004 7:05 am

actually i dont think he says anything... i think he got a line of nonsense that would maybe sound like he was saying something, and then add an OK? at the end... that way even hardcore filmfreaks like us (lol) wouldnt be able to discern something which to me is the one thing we should NOT hear... (also i would think the script would say something like "bob hugs charlotte tightly and whispers something into her ear - we do not hear what it is) - so the truth is, he doesnt really say anything, coz from the storytellers point of view he's not supposed to say anything, just appear to tell something to charlotte :)

as sofia has said so many times, what he (bob not bill) says, is between him and charlotte. its the perfect ending for a perfect movie

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

I downloaded the script and it doesn't shed new light....

#17 Post by KKDallas » Mon Jun 07, 2004 2:13 pm

Here are the scripted lines:

Bob: Charlotte!

But she can't hear hom over the loudspeaker. He rushes to her.
C.U, she turns and we see she is crying.
The music swells. he embraces her, holding her close to him in the crowd.

Bob: Why are you crying?

Charlotte: I'll miss you.

He kisses her, hugs her goodbye.
Bob: I know. I'm going to miss you too.

He holds her close.

Charlottes watches Bob as he reaches his car, he turns and looks at her.
She smiles at him and is lost in the crowd. Bob gets into his car.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: I downloaded the script and it doesn't shed new light…

#18 Post by jm » Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:53 pm

:!: You downloaded the script and didn't post the link?
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

Re: I downloaded the script and it doesn't shed new light...

#19 Post by KKDallas » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:23 pm

johnmonkey wrote::!: You downloaded the script and didn't post the link?
I'm so sorry. I should have posted the link. Here you go (and its free, too!!)

[/url]http://www.script-o-rama.com[url

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: I downloaded the script and it doesn't shed new light…

#20 Post by jm » Mon Jun 07, 2004 6:45 pm

Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.