Lost and found/finding

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

Lost and found/finding

#1 Post by CHris! » Sat Sep 25, 2004 8:13 pm

About 10 days ago, I obtained a copy of Lost in translation, wandering what all the rave I had stumbled upon in reviews and magazines was really about. After watching it the first time, I wandered around for the next 4-5 days in a trance, my head full of ideas and thoughts, and generally as one member already described as being "punched in the stomache".

I always had an great fascination with japanese culture, aswell as an ambition to visit japan, but after watching LiT, its just opened my eyes to so much, really making me feel like dropping what im currently involved with and just getting out there, exploring the world, and meeting loads of new people. I feel kind of annoyed that I didnt see the film earlier, which makes me wander what other almost life changing influences ive missed, Lost in translation IS now one of my favourite films.

Im still trying to figure out the feeling of being "punched in the stomache", that some of the other board members have refered. im not gonna lie, but being your average 19 year male old student, i fell in love with scarletts character, bill was amazing, and added to that the tokyo nightlife, i was mezmorized, it just made me want to get out there and grab a piece for myself. Listening to the perfect soundtrack now, after seeing the film a few more times, reminds me of a few of the scenes, and emphasizes how good the film really was, the idea of still trying to find your feet in the world, the emotions both characters share seeming so real. Theres so much more I could write about the film and how it affected me, but Ill leave it at that :D

How did you lot feel when the film really sunk in?

Chris

Clint
Traveler

#2 Post by Clint » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:20 am

Hello mate. I too am a new member here, and after watching and experiencing Lost In Translation for the first time a few nights ago, I felt well ... just inexplicably dreamy after viewing it. I have found myself in an almost daily trance since then, just thinking about the film, the beauty and amazing execution of it, and Bob and Charlotte's relationship. Since the first viewing I have been drawn back to it like a bee to a flower to further scrutinise it and view my favourite scenes.

Having already visited Japan earlier this year, this film sure does bring back a lot of great memories too. Just viewing the fantastically shot Kyoto and Tokyo scenes just sent me back to when I was there. Lost In Translation sure has evoked a lot of memories out of me and is just such a dream to view. If you ever get the chance to head to Japan, take it with open arms and visit as many wonderful places as you can, because every piece of it is a special piece.

My favourite scenes of the film include -

1) Bob and Charlotte in the bar. The first real conversations they strike up.
2) Bob and Charlotte on the bed late at night, just talking, enjoying each other's company during a sleepless night.
3) The final farewell scene. One thing I immediately picked up was the relief on Bob's face in the cab after his final words to Charlotte. Just magical.

I also love Kevin Shields 'City Girl' music video in the extras. It features some pretty neat sights of Japan and it's just interesting to see Charlotte walking around the city. This is definitely one of my favorite films ever and I have not tired of thinking about it in the past few days. It just features so much quality, so much depth, and so much magic.
Last edited by Clint on Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm so into you...

Blissbomb
Stocking Lipper

#3 Post by Blissbomb » Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:32 am

welcome to my world

I was watching Van Helsing with some friends the other day and I kept thinking "a week in Tokyo would fix up those vampires"

Im still having trouble watching new movies, they just dont come close to LIT.
Lost in World

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#4 Post by lost in translation » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:01 pm

Blissbomb wrote: Im still having trouble watching new movies, they just dont come close to LIT.
my feelings exactly

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

Re: Lost and found/finding

#5 Post by Suntory » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:39 pm

CHris! wrote:I feel kind of annoyed that I didnt see the film earlier, which makes me wander what other almost life changing influences ive missed, Lost in translation IS now one of my favourite films.
Yes but on the other hand perhaps you saw the film when you were meant to see it at exactly the right time and the right place in your life.

So Im sure all those other life changing experiences will materialize.
Definitely get to travel and it will be all that!

switchtosake
Lost In Tokyo

#6 Post by switchtosake » Sat Oct 02, 2004 3:53 pm

Excellent take on it Suntory! I couldn't agree more. I didn't see it until April of this year when it was released on video. Although I couldn't understand how I passed it by in the theatres, it was something that I needed at just that time.

Although I also walked around with that "punched in the stomache" feeling, it reinvigorated my life and my perspective. I am driven to succeed and experience more out of life...the big things and the small fleeting LiT things.

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#7 Post by CHris! » Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:07 pm

Have to agree with both of your posts relating to the idea that LiT made you really want to get more out of life. Individually I just felt that some of the thoughts and emotions that Charlotte spoke about in the film, the whole, "I dont know what I want to be thing" kind of coincided with my life, hitting the nail on the head. Coupled with the fact she is stunningly gorgeous, in a setting such a tokyo must have mesmorized me.

Relating to the other posts, Im yet to see another, or even think of a film off the top of my head which comes close to LiT, a totally complete movie.
theres nothing more than this

jml98
Asleep

#8 Post by jml98 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:02 pm

CHris! wrote:Have to agree with both of your posts relating to the idea that LiT made you really want to get more out of life. Individually I just felt that some of the thoughts and emotions that Charlotte spoke about in the film, the whole, "I dont know what I want to be thing" kind of coincided with my life, hitting the nail on the head. Coupled with the fact she is stunningly gorgeous, in a setting such a tokyo must have mesmorized me.

Relating to the other posts, Im yet to see another, or even think of a film off the top of my head which comes close to LiT, a totally complete movie.

i couldn't agree more...i do feel like i have little or no direction in life, which is emphasized by the fact that its getting closer and closer to that time when i have to apply for colleges, and i don't know what i want to be or where i want to go....im envious of bob (even though he is fictional) for having such an amazing experience with charlotte, i wish i could have that experience, even if it was for only a few days...LiT is a one of a kind movie, i don't think there ever has been a movie quite like it, nor will there be a movie like it in the future; there are plenty of "mid life crisis" or "lost in life" types of movies, many of them are good (see American Beauty...) but nothing quite like LiT....anyways...

Guest10

#9 Post by Guest10 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:11 pm

are there any female fans of LIT on this board? , well I'am a male but just wandering if, how many girls actually liked it(while understanding it)

jml98
Asleep

#10 Post by jml98 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:50 am

there are a few...KKDallas and jml2 are two...

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#11 Post by KKDallas » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:03 am

I'm female and I "get" this movie. Personal experience partly. Partly a big fan of Bill Murray. Oddly, I was not moved so deeply from my first viewing of LiT in the theater. It was only after the Oscars and obtaining the DVD that I really became obssessed, if you will. I love all the sublte nuances of the script and characters. I need to go watch it now, LOL!

Blissbomb
Stocking Lipper

#12 Post by Blissbomb » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:30 pm

Thats the beauty of this movie, nobody gets it, just us special people that congregate here.

I watched the movie again last night and I really noticed the long periods of quiet, no talking, no sound, just glances between two people, it was beautiful.
Lost in World

jml98
Asleep

#13 Post by jml98 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:43 am

Blissbomb wrote:Thats the beauty of this movie, nobody gets it, just us special people that congregate here.

I watched the movie again last night and I really noticed the long periods of quiet, no talking, no sound, just glances between two people, it was beautiful.

Absolutely right about the long periods of quiet, Blissbomb. And that's a major reason why i like it; the film is a very visual film. It lets you just sit and admire the views of the city, etc...

as for nobody gets it part, i guess this movie is an aquired taste kinda thing huh? that's ok, though....

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#14 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:19 am

Defintly right about the acquired taste.. I actually got a bit drowsy myself my first time through the movie..

But then again the best things take a great amount of time to fully enjoy. I think the reason is that the movie is so original and deep, that when watching it the first time, we really don't know enough to pay close attention to all the visual details, and subtle looks and gestures. We actually expect a more fully developed and less subtle plot, like in most movies nowadays. It just takes a couple of views for one to fully appreciate the fact that the movie is really made by all the emotional subtleties throughout it, as opposed to the 'action' that most of us were waiting for the first time through, but never came.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#15 Post by Beery » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:26 pm

Blissbomb wrote:Thats the beauty of this movie, nobody gets it, just us special people that congregate here.
I find it amazing how few people get this movie. It must just be a case of 'haven't got there yet' for those people. They simply haven't reached that point where they can appreciate the feelings that this movie evokes. It's a pity that it requires that life experience (or level of maturity), because if only everyone could 'get' this movie I think the world would be a better place.

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

Re: Female Fans of LIT

#16 Post by phillygalinutah » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:54 pm

Count me as another female fan of LIT and Bill too. I certainly appreciated the intensed feelings it provoked. It hit me in the "gut" and "heart" real hard too. I can remember being Charlotte's age and wondering who I was and where I was going, but being married 15 years, I related more to Bob Harris feeling out of sorts with his spouse, his children, job and his life. Had to watch LIT a number of times as there were so many emotions and nuances. Watching and discussing LIT helped me to get out of my own little personal rut, and explore positive possibilities in my life in respect to my marriage, work, friendships, etc... :D
"Everyone wants to be found"

Silk
Tokyo Denizen

#17 Post by Silk » Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:55 am

And yet another female.
It's a djungle out there, but I've finelly found a spot were I can relax and be myself: here.

When I think about LiT, I get warm and dizzy and happy and sad at the same time. It is the most important film I have watched, not only because it is so emotional, smooth and beautiful, but because I identify with Charlotte so much, and the connection she has with Bob is a bit similiar to something I have experienced.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#18 Post by A moment of silence » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:17 am

The movie sunk in me and made me feel all kinds of things. First, sadness because I see these two people that were not commited to each other but deserved to be because they were great together. The silent moment outside the kareoke room was fantastic.
I also felt like I had hope. I am an only child and not just that, but an only person. I tend to spend most of my time by myself if not with my mother. I need a friend like Bob or even Charlotte, someone to be with me at least temporary and make me feel like I am not in a loop of loneliness and mundanity. An adventure that becomes a joyous memory.
I also felt like I was way too connected with the characters. It is very strange, but I cannot define my complete feeling about the movie yet. I believe it will come to me eventually. After watching this movie I could not stop crying or even eat regularly- I must sound like a nut case, but I do not know. It sunk in too fast, too furious.

Now I feel better though, I see it as a positive experience. It's the relations you may encounter in life that change you and make you a better person, eventhough it hurts not to prolong them. This also shows us that life is full of surprises and when you least expect them, then they come. :D
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#19 Post by jm » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:41 am

"[quote:af7c3c433c="A moment of silence"]I am an only child and not just that, but an only person. I tend to spend most of my time by myself if not with my mother. I need a friend like Bob or even Charlotte, someone to be with me at least temporary and make me feel like I am not in a loop of loneliness and mundanity.[/quote:af7c3c433c]
Lovely post, and I often feel the same way."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#20 Post by 52FM » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:59 pm

"AMOS":
Many people - myself included - described the feeling they had after seeing LiT as either "punched in the stomach" or "in a fog or a daze".

You are not a nut case to feel that way. You are very much alive!
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."