anybody else notice...? subtle things

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

anybody else notice...? subtle things

#1 Post by Guest » Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:33 am

Did anybody else notice the note that Charlotte writes on Bob's map? It's the part where he's on the phone with Ms. kawasaki, telling her he'd love to be on that crazy Japanese talk show. He's trying to find his place to somewhere to meet Charlotte, and on the map she writes "Bob, Call if you get lost. Charlotte" It's so symbolic of the whole meaning of the movie. I love that. It's these subtle little things that make me like the movie more and more every time I watch it. Any thoughts?

Another guest

#2 Post by Another guest » Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:45 pm

I'm guessing it's the map to the strip club she faxed him the night before. Speaking of the night before, there's a Beatles song that often runs through my head when I think of the worst-so-bad-lunch scene.

Here are the lyrics:

We said our goodbyes......ah the night before
Love was in your eyes......ah the night before
Now today I find
You have changed your mind
Treat me like you did the night before

Last night is the night I will remember you by
When I think of the things we did
Makes me wanna cry

Were you telling lies.....ah the night before
Was I so unwise.....ah the night before
When I held you near
You were so sincere
Treat me like you did the night before

Silver

Subtle things

#3 Post by Silver » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:02 pm

The map and directions referred to meeting Charlotte at a restaurant for lunch. It might have been the place that they eventually wind up in the day after the night he slept with the Sausalito singer.

lauren

#4 Post by lauren » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:06 pm

i noticed it too, but until your post i didn't really think too much of it. But i think you're right. Sofia definately meant for that note to have a deeper meaning. My interpretation is that Bob and Charlotte are two lost souls, but in Charlotte, Bob has found someone like him, who understands what it's like. The little note she writes conveys this idea; "Call me if you get lost" she says. Charlotte is the one who will help Bob find his way. The note is a metaphor for the two lost (figuratively) people. Good post...makes me want to go back and watch it and see what other subtle things i missed the first time(s) I saw LiT.

michelle

#5 Post by michelle » Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:10 pm

i think ur right also. I like how you put it Lauren ("Charlotte is the one who will help him find his way"). In the original script, Charlotte invites Bob to a sushi restaurant (not the shabu-shabu restaurant; it didn't make the final cut i guess) That map is supposed to show Bob the way (In Tokyo there are no street names, and as you can imagine, it makes it hard to find your way around, especially if you are a tourist). And your right about another thing Lauren...makes me want to go and watch it again.

#6 Post by Guest » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:46 pm

Hey all you Guests! Great stuff! Why not register? We love having new members and fans join our forum!

john

Re: anybody else notice...? subtle things

#7 Post by john » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:38 pm

Finally !! someone else caught that too.....I always wondered if it was just me who saw this line on the page that obviously was meant to be deeper than how it was seen for a few breif seconds...a very significnat emotion in the film was left on this page..

Anonymous wrote:Did anybody else notice the note that Charlotte writes on Bob's map? It's the part where he's on the phone with Ms. kawasaki, telling her he'd love to be on that crazy Japanese talk show. He's trying to find his place to somewhere to meet Charlotte, and on the map she writes "Bob, Call if you get lost. Charlotte" It's so symbolic of the whole meaning of the movie. I love that. It's these subtle little things that make me like the movie more and more every time I watch it. Any thoughts?