Weird experience yesterday while shopping

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

Weird experience yesterday while shopping

#1 Post by lost in translation » Mon Oct 11, 2004 5:40 pm

So, yesterday I was shopping in Polo, looking at jeans and t-shirts. All of these trendy/preppy stores play borderline offensively bad music. Only this time I heard a song from LiT over their speakers.

I was shocked :shock:

It put me in my place and lowered my feelings. It took me a second to remember where I knew the song from. The movie has such an impact that merely a song from it can bring back memories. It made me feel happy and sad at the same time -- bittersweat. An unpredicted set of emotions weathered me. Anyone here have an experience like this? It was great :)

switchtosake
Lost In Tokyo

#2 Post by switchtosake » Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:09 pm

Which song was it?

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#3 Post by lost in translation » Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:37 pm

switchtosake wrote:Which song was it?
The funny thing is I'm having trouble remembering, heh. That's how strange it was.

I'm pretty sure it was, Too Young - Phoenix. Reminds me of them dancing in that house and how awkward Bob looked. I love that scene.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

Re: Weird experience yesterday while shopping

#4 Post by Suntory » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:17 pm

lost in translation wrote:So, yesterday I was shopping in Polo. . .
This sounds like something out of the Twilight Zone and at Polo no less! Yikes!

I can't say I've heard any LiT music while out anywhere.

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#5 Post by lost in translation » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:28 pm

Suntory wrote:
lost in translation wrote:So, yesterday I was shopping in Polo. . .
This sounds like something out of the Twilight Zone and at Polo no less! Yikes!

I can't say I've heard any LiT music while out anywhere.
Trust me, I couldn't believe it. I see you're from Boston -- me too. This was up in the Kittery, NH outlets. I did pick up some nice stuff (and at nice prices too, hahah)

:D

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#6 Post by KKDallas » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:43 pm

lost in translation wrote:. Anyone here have an experience like this? It was great :)
I also experience this when I hear LIT music. I have yet to hear it by chance in public, though. Yesterday, I worked from home and had LIT on in the background. I hadn't watched it in several weeks. I, too, had a bittersweet feeling. I was sad at first but then took comfort in seeing Bob, Charlotte and Tokyo again. The music really is such a vital element in this movie. It can create and evoke a mood in me that is almost beyond words.

I wanted to stay home again today but I forced myself to head into the office. Maybe tomorrow I will "work from home" again. :lol:

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#7 Post by CHris! » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:57 pm

The soundtrack to LiT is just pure class and I feel is a vital part to the movie and how it portrays the characters emotions, Ive got a chunk of the soundtrack on my mini disc and each song just takes me back to the first time I saw the movie.

Relating to hearing that song, I was sat flicking through the movie channels like 4 days ago and Shallow Hal was on, I caught the 30 second scene where they are dancing in a club, and the song playing is Phoenix - Too young, when I realised what it was, and where I'd heard it, had such an impact on me, reminding me of kareoke, my favourite scene in LiT.
theres nothing more than this

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#8 Post by lost in translation » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:23 pm

KKDallas wrote: I also experience this when I hear LIT music. I have yet to hear it by chance in public, though. Yesterday, I worked from home and had LIT on in the background. I hadn't watched it in several weeks. I, too, had a bittersweet feeling. I was sad at first but then took comfort in seeing Bob, Charlotte and Tokyo again. The music really is such a vital element in this movie. It can create and evoke a mood in me that is almost beyond words.

I wanted to stay home again today but I forced myself to head into the office. Maybe tomorrow I will "work from home" again. :lol:
Listening to the soundtrack can be moving just like watching the movie. The song selection is perfect. The introduction song in particular. Hearing that song makes me think of the whole movie. And then of course there's the last scene that gives me an empty feeling. I remember that feeling was stuck in me for a week after my first viewing. I can't really put words on the feelings that come over me.

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#9 Post by lost in translation » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:25 pm

CHris! wrote:The soundtrack to LiT is just pure class and I feel is a vital part to the movie and how it portrays the characters emotions, Ive got a chunk of the soundtrack on my mini disc and each song just takes me back to the first time I saw the movie.

Phoenix - Too young, when I realised what it was, and where I'd heard it, had such an impact on me, reminding me of kareoke, my favourite scene in LiT.
Absolutely!

The Kareoke is also my favorite scene. So that song means something special to me. Weather it's good or bad -- I don't know :)

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#10 Post by CHris! » Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:05 pm

lost in translation wrote:Listening to the soundtrack can be moving just like watching the movie. The song selection is perfect. The introduction song in particular. Hearing that song makes me think of the whole movie. And then of course there's the last scene that gives me an empty feeling. I remember that feeling was stuck in me for a week after my first viewing. I can't really put words on the feelings that come over me.
yea, same for me, although I love the kareoke scene, and the the song in the background, the very first song in the film as bob pulls up, Death in Vegas - Girls, was just the perfect choice to open the movie with. Everyrytime I hear it, it gives me such a relaxing and comforting sensation, it is probably my favourite song atm, closely followed by a few others from the LiT soundtrack ;D

Silver

The "LiT" soundtrack and being elsewhere

#11 Post by Silver » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:13 pm

I had been in a restaurant with my husband and the music being piped in was "Sometimes" by My Bloody Valentine (the music in the taxi after the karaoke on the way back to the hotel). It was strange hearing it out of context like that, but I too immediately placed the point of origin.

More interesting though was hearing "More Than This" - the Roxy Music version in "Matchstick Men" w/ Nicolas Cage. I somehow turn the movie on just at that scene to hear the music.

I still like the Bill Murray rendition better. It was heartfelt and had more meaning than the rushed version.

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

Re: The "LiT" soundtrack and being elsewhere

#12 Post by lost in translation » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:33 pm

Silver wrote:I had been in a restaurant with my husband and the music being piped in was "Sometimes" by My Bloody Valentine (the music in the taxi after the karaoke on the way back to the hotel). It was strange hearing it out of context like that, but I too immediately placed the point of origin.

More interesting though was hearing "More Than This" - the Roxy Music version in "Matchstick Men" w/ Nicolas Cage. I somehow turn the movie on just at that scene to hear the music.

I still like the Bill Murray rendition better. It was heartfelt and had more meaning than the rushed version.
You just reminded me! In the car I once heard the Elvis Costello song (Peace love and Understanding) that Bill sings during the kareoke scene. He sounds so much like Elvis Costello that I actually thought it was Bill.

How did I forget this?

edit: And Matchstick Men was a good movie :)

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#13 Post by lost in translation » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:35 pm

CHris! wrote:
lost in translation wrote:Listening to the soundtrack can be moving just like watching the movie. The song selection is perfect. The introduction song in particular. Hearing that song makes me think of the whole movie. And then of course there's the last scene that gives me an empty feeling. I remember that feeling was stuck in me for a week after my first viewing. I can't really put words on the feelings that come over me.
yea, same for me, although I love the kareoke scene, and the the song in the background, the very first song in the film as bob pulls up, Death in Vegas - Girls, was just the perfect choice to open the movie with. Everyrytime I hear it, it gives me such a relaxing and comforting sensation, it is probably my favourite song atm, closely followed by a few others from the LiT soundtrack ;D
I love that song too. So perfect for the introduction scene. It makes me think of what's coming and therefor makes me feel kind of shakey. I guess that's just the feeling this movie has on me.

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#14 Post by jml2 » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:43 am

the intro song, Girls - Death In Vegas, is just a superb song for this movie, and for the intro. The 'aah-aah' is hypnotic, it sounds like ocean tide, it immediately gives that insomniac dreamy feeling. The right music is essential in an atmospheric movie, Sofia Coppola rules.

Lost in Boston

#15 Post by Lost in Boston » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:48 am

My laptop wallpaper is a beautiful photograph of the Tokyo skyline at night which includes the Tokyo Park Hyatt where much of the movie was filmed and the skyline is dotted with those wonderful red aircraft warning lights. I've also downloaed the mp3 of Girls by Death in Vegas. I can sit at work or on a plane or in a hotel room and look at that skyline and listen to that song and recreate much of the feel of watching the movie in just a few minutes.

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#16 Post by lost in translation » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:41 pm

Lost in Boston wrote:My laptop wallpaper is a beautiful photograph of the Tokyo skyline at night which includes the Tokyo Park Hyatt where much of the movie was filmed and the skyline is dotted with those wonderful red aircraft warning lights. I've also downloaed the mp3 of Girls by Death in Vegas. I can sit at work or on a plane or in a hotel room and look at that skyline and listen to that song and recreate much of the feel of watching the movie in just a few minutes.
Can you share the picture?

Lost in Boston

#17 Post by Lost in Boston » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:42 pm

The photograph at http://tokyoyakei.cool.ne.jp/tokyo/toty ... yo-s-1.jpg was taken from the Tokyo Park Hyatt and shows some of the same buildings seen in the scene where Charlotte is sitting on the window ledge.

This is my current wallpaper and is a photograph of the Tokyo Park Hyatt. It's the building with the three towers. http://tokyoyakei.cool.ne.jp/tokyo/fuku ... ter-16.jpg

You can find many beautiful wallpaper images of Shinjyuku at http://tokyoyakei.cool.ne.jp/tokyo-shinjyuku.html.

Enjoy.

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#18 Post by lost in translation » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:34 pm

thanks a ton Lost in Boston. Those are great.

#19 Post by Guest » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:52 pm

OH MY GOD that is an amazing site! I'm going to link to it.
I will probably spend HOURS looking at all those photos of Tokyo.
Since lord knows when I'll ever get to go it's the next best thing!

Lost in Boston did you take all those photos?! Or who did?

And would you like to register and be an official member?! :D

I think I now count 3 people from Boston on this forum.

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#20 Post by CHris! » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:12 am

good work Lost in Boston, those pics are absolute class, Ive been looking for something similar but could never find anything worth using as a wallpaper, Cheers!