hypnosis

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

john

hypnosis

#1 Post by john » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:15 pm

Used to post to RU awake ..then drifted away from it and LIT...as I found the " hypnosis " that the film evoked was wearing off. I couldnt feel what I felt when I first saw the movie and drifted into the strange and unexplained mood ..leaving me to wonder many things...Something Im obviously not alone with.

Past few days I explained the movie to someone else..and it made me grab the DVD and watch it again..( only watch late at night ...seems right somehow )Well for those who havent tried it...back comes the strange and awake " sleep " ..a sad yet awake euphoria...a reminder...that you ..in your life...have more to do ..more to see...and that somewhere out there more souls are drifting and waiting for someone to sit next to them and say hello. Imagine ...all this evoked through film.....Remember you...me ...we are the lucky ones for finding the message in this film..It was left by SC for us. Heres to hoping everyone finds their own Bob or Charlotte...

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#2 Post by Suntory » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:51 am

Aha a new refugee from the old place!

Yes I think sometimes you have to put it away for some time and then come
back again at some point to recapture the feeling and mood.

I have dreams about meeting someone. Even though I am married.
Although in the dreams when I meet someone eventually I have to
say to them I can't be more than friends with you because I am married.
Even in the dreams!!!! But I do love my wife and we are happy together.
But somehow in the unconscious mind it hypothesizes other relationships.
I can't tell her about these dreams of meeting other people of course.
I had one of these dreams last night. Weird.

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

couldnt stay away

#3 Post by findingcharlotte » Wed Oct 27, 2004 12:25 pm

Yep.lured back from the old board ( john is now " finding charlotte " )

Watched again last night and like others noticed more little details..( hard to imagine missing anything after seeing it so many times )

Look forward to hanging around in a " non hostile " LIT " environment..speaking with people who are opne minded enough to have been able to understand Sophia's message.
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

phillygalinutah
Lounge Singer

#4 Post by phillygalinutah » Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:44 pm

Yes, I enjoy watching it in the evening too, and it's interesting to note emotions or other bits from the movie others from the LIT board point out that I overlooked previously.

My sister is flying in tonight to visit for five days. She hasn't watched LIT yet...mostly because others (except ME!) have told her it's boring or a waste of time. She's willing to watch it with me...I'm curious whether or not she'll feel the flood of emotions I experienced after watching it the first time.
"Everyone wants to be found"

Suntory

Re: couldnt stay away

#5 Post by Suntory » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:14 pm

findingcharlotte wrote:Yep.lured back from the old board ( john is now " finding charlotte " )
Cool! How did you find the new one after all this time?!
There's been a lot of great discussion here so I guess you got a lot to catch up on!

phillygalinutah - let us know how it goes with your sister!!

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

Re: couldnt stay away

#6 Post by findingcharlotte » Thu Oct 28, 2004 2:26 am

searched LIT forum..out it came.

Needed to find company of soul searchers..

Suntory wrote:
findingcharlotte wrote:Yep.lured back from the old board ( john is now " finding charlotte " )
Cool! How did you find the new one after all this time?!
There's been a lot of great discussion here so I guess you got a lot to catch up on!

phillygalinutah - let us know how it goes with your sister!!

jml98
Asleep

Re: hypnosis

#7 Post by jml98 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:18 pm

john wrote:Used to post to RU awake ..then drifted away from it and LIT...as I found the " hypnosis " that the film evoked was wearing off. I couldnt feel what I felt when I first saw the movie and drifted into the strange and unexplained mood ..leaving me to wonder many things...Something Im obviously not alone with.
I watched the movie near the beginning of August...here it is three months later and the hypnosis is STILL on me...i still watch the movie semi-regularly, usually late at night...how long does it take for it to wear off? to me, it seems like it never will (and that's not really a bad thing)...

btw, i joined this site after it changed to the "new site" or wutever...why did it change?...what is "RU awake" (the old site??)

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: hypnosis

#8 Post by jm » Thu Nov 11, 2004 10:09 pm

"[quote:2809933b09="jml98"]btw, i joined this site after it changed to the "new site" or wutever...why did it change?...what is "RU awake" (the old site??)[/quote:2809933b09]

The old site was areyouawake.org, and Crissy or Chrissy who ran it just let it die - she lost interest."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jml98
Asleep

#9 Post by jml98 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:28 pm

couldn't she have let someone else take over? it woulda been great to see all the other posts and have more members...

Suntory

#10 Post by Suntory » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:25 am

Yes its a very sore subject with some (well a lot maybe. . .) people. People begged her to let
them help and run it or host it or something. But she just let it go.
And so should we.
We have a very nice community here now and it's growing slowly.
Lots of great discussion and a chat/view next Weds!
Hope to see you all there! :)

jml98
Asleep

#11 Post by jml98 » Fri Nov 12, 2004 1:05 am

such a pity...

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#12 Post by CHris! » Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:02 am

I too first saw the film around the end of august, and was just mezmorized for like 3 weeks solid, I still watch it regularly and its almost as if I get the same feeling everytime, I cant describe it, but I love it :P and I do think its best seen just before you go to bed, when your tired ;E
theres nothing more than this

jml98
Asleep

#13 Post by jml98 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:51 pm

well...here it is, close to four months since ive seen it, and it seem like, finally, the effects of this hypnosis, the "getting punched in the stomach" feeling, or wutever you want to call it, is wearing off. i still love it and always will, and each time i watch it i get the same feeling, but it doesn't last so long anymore. kudos to sofia, bill and scarlett for such a fabulous movie!! :D

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#14 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:56 pm

i still havent had the feeling wear off. althought i didnt notice a "punched in the stomach feeling" or even something similar. kind of that euphoria thing, where no matter where you are or what you're doing, you're always searching for another lost soul.. i dont think it'll ever go away.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

that feeling

#15 Post by findingcharlotte » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:30 pm

Well for me these days ...now..it comes and goes ...all really depends on whats happening in life...If youre feeling alone and youre by yourself late at night..you can seek out Bob and Charlotte ..and the story lends some comfort..I still feel lucky to be one of those who had the gift to understand Sophias message ..The beauty of DVD is that you can always go back to it...and find the message again.

jml98 wrote:well...here it is, close to four months since ive seen it, and it seem like, finally, the effects of this hypnosis, the "getting punched in the stomach" feeling, or wutever you want to call it, is wearing off. i still love it and always will, and each time i watch it i get the same feeling, but it doesn't last so long anymore. kudos to sofia, bill and scarlett for such a fabulous movie!! :D

LipYourStocking
Awake

Addictive hypnosis

#16 Post by LipYourStocking » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:18 pm

I am caught in the hypnosis you all describe. It is both a blessing and a curse. I love the feeling of being alive and the endless possibilities of new relationships the movie promises. However, I am feeling addicted. I want more. I watch the DVD almost every night. I should be working etc.

I even feel that, like alcahol, this movie should be taken in small doses so as to not let the effect of it diminish over time. However I need to watch.

Can anyone please suggest other books and movies tht have moved them so?

jml98
Asleep

Re: Addictive hypnosis

#17 Post by jml98 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:26 pm

LipYourStocking wrote:It is both a blessing and a curse. I love the feeling of being alive and the endless possibilities of new relationships the movie promises.
that is well said, and i couldn't agree more. It really has affected my life, not only that "punched in the stomach"/hypnosis feeling, but on a day to day basis also. I'm watching the movie, listening to music from the movie, posting ont his site, etc. when i shoudl be doing other things, like work....but i'm glad, in a way, too...

I can't say that i can recommend another book movie, etc. that has had a similar effect. It seem like LiT is the only one that has affected me like this...

Guest10

the hypnosis

#18 Post by Guest10 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:21 pm

I almost wish I didn't see the film because a few days after I have seen it on Starz (3 nights in a row at 10:20) I feel sad and depressed for some reason. No one dies, not much going on but I think I understand the movie and I thought I was the only one but I'am obviously not. It has given me a new perspective on things.Instead of plying a video game when I come from school I go to my room and sit thinking about random things and writing lyirics of some sorts as crappy as they are.

I was wandering , how long for some people did it take to return back to their completely normal lives and routine?

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#19 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:16 am

it hasnt happened yet... although i really work a lot so it hasnt really affected my physical routine in itself, im still the spacier, deeper person i have been ever since i was graced with LiT's presence. theres really nothing that can take away from that feeeling of wanting to travel and get lost for yourself, and having a moment like bob and charlotte that seems so perfectly crafted yet totally random...
i also get depressed when the movie ends.. its just a love you develop for the bob and charlotte and the story as a whole.. i think it's just that when it ends there's almost a sense of emptiness or disbelief, and on more than one occasion it has caused me to watch the movie over again to get rid of that sinking feeling..
that's why seeing the movie is (as i believe was posted somewhere else on the forums) both a blessing and a curse. kudos to whoever came up with that one
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Guest10

#20 Post by Guest10 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:14 pm

I wander if it was Coppola's intent and goal to make us(some people) feel that way or if she just wanted to present Tokyo in a whole new way.I guess one person whos life was changed by the movie in one way or another, makes up for a hundred people that thought the movie was boring.