Suntory whiskey

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

Suntory whiskey

#1 Post by findingcharlotte » Thu Oct 28, 2004 5:22 pm

Has anyone ever tried this whiskey ( or admit to buying some because it was in the film ? ) I tried to find it here with no luck
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

Drood
Traveler

#2 Post by Drood » Sun Oct 31, 2004 5:55 pm

I always assumed it was a fictional brand.

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#3 Post by lost in translation » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:33 pm

Yes it is.
When Japan decides to get yopparai (drunk), many of its whiskey drinkers do so with Suntory, a 100-year-old firm that produced Japan's first whiskey. Hibiki, Kakubin, and Old are some of the Japanese whiskies that Suntory says are especially made to go with Japanese cuisine. Suntory makes Midori melon liqueur, Malt’s and Suntory beer, Noble d’Or wine, and nonalcoholic drinks. Suntory complements its domestic products by importing more than 1,500 wines, 100 spirits (such as Brown-Forman's Jack Daniels and Kahlua), and Carlsberg beer. Like other Japanese brewers, Suntory is seeing growth in low-alcohol brews. Suntory Limited is part of the Suntory Group
http://www.hoovers.com/suntory/--ID__52 ... heet.xhtml

Here's an interesting fact. Remember, during the photoshoot, when the photographer asks Bob to act like Roger Moore (who played James Bond)? Bob says he thinks of Sean Connery it comes to James Bond. Well, Sean Connery did some Suntory Whiskey commercials! Great, isn't it?
Spoofed by the recent Golden Globe winning "Lost In Translation" where Bill Murray lampoons "Suntory Time" whiskey commercials, Sean Connery starred in their recent campaign. In this tasteful (by Japanese standards) commercial, Connery practices his Roger Moore eyebrow impression whilst being pleasantly surprised that the Japanese whiskey doesn't taste like turpentine. Connery
http://www.mi6.co.uk/sections/articles/ ... php3?t=&s=

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

suntory whiskey

#4 Post by findingcharlotte » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:32 pm

Nope..Its real....but interesting fact....you cant purchase it at the New York Bar in the hotel where teh movie was shot....

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#5 Post by jeffyen » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:54 am

http://www.japander.com/japander/index.htm

Download Sean's Suntory ads above.

jml98
Asleep

#6 Post by jml98 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:21 am

i heard at that hotel they have two drinks in honor of Sofia and the movie (if i read that in this site...sorry) One of the drinks is called the "sofia" or something like that. i dunno the other.

lostinflorida
Traveler

#7 Post by lostinflorida » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:31 am

I think that's super creative on Sophia's part. It can't be coincidence can it? :)

Drood
Traveler

#8 Post by Drood » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:07 am

Well slap my a** and call me Judy! I always assumed it was fictional. Cool!

Anyone know if they Murray actually got paid? Since he's slapped on a few billboards in the movie.

suntory time!

#9 Post by Guest » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:28 pm

Yeah, I picked up a bottle of the same whisky at Narita for I think 4700 yen. There are different types but the one from the film is definatly the 17yr old.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#10 Post by Suntory » Thu Nov 18, 2004 12:20 am

As of now 4700 Yen = $45 US.

I wonder how much the 17 year old stuff is. I gotta
find someone locally that can get me a bottle next time
they go! :)

Bob would have to pick the most expensive one!

#11 Post by Guest » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:35 am

That is the 17yr old stuff. They make a twelve year old one which is cheaper, but the bottle is completly different. I'm going to see if I can get some locally, if not I'm just gonna have to make do.

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

Suntory

#12 Post by findingcharlotte » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:14 pm

I have a cousin that teaches English in Kyoto..going to have to get him to get me a bottle of the real deal for Xmas...

CelticSword

You can order it most anywhere

#13 Post by CelticSword » Tue May 10, 2005 1:46 am

I live in Indiana, about 35 miles southeast of Chicago, and I was able to order a fifth of it (the 12 year old) through my local liquor store. They didn't stock it, but they could order it. They said I was the 4th person to ask for it, and each of us wanted to try it after seeing Lost in Translation. Cost about $30. It's good!

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#14 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Sun May 15, 2005 3:15 am

Hey, I also live in Indie :D -- anyway, I plan on going to Tokyo sometime in the near future and I'll be bringing some back...I won't leave Tokyo without some lol.
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

#15 Post by findingcharlotte » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:39 am

Have still never had luck tracking down a bottle..but now have a new friend who flies to Hong Kong 3 times a month...close as Ill get to a bottle...Its a lead anyways.........

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

#16 Post by findingcharlotte » Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:39 am

Have still never had luck tracking down a bottle..but now have a new friend who flies to Hong Kong 3 times a month...close as Ill get to a bottle...Its a lead anyways.........

synasp
Awake

Re: suntory time!

#17 Post by synasp » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:22 am

Anonymous wrote:Yeah, I picked up a bottle of the same whisky at Narita for I think 4700 yen. There are different types but the one from the film is definatly the 17yr old.
That is a total load of crock.

First, this particular make of Suntory is fairly difficult to find (took a small army of hotel staff to locate a store that carried it), so finding it at the airport? No way.

Second, 4700 yen? Nothing in Tokyo costs only 4700 yen. ;) But seriously, that would be an incredibly cheap whiskey by Tokyo standards.

I hope I don't sound annoyed (or annoying!), but I don't like it when people mislead others, and I will flat-out say you completely fabricated that story.

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#18 Post by Beery » Tue May 09, 2006 1:57 am

Does anyone know if Suntory whiskey is actually regarded as being any good by the cognoscenti?
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"

onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

#19 Post by onesmokin3g » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:55 pm

So I realize I am updating a very old thread, but I recently (and finally) got myself a bottle of Suntory! It seems quite a bit has changed since some of these older posts. Suntory currently has available 10yr, 12yr, 18yr, 25yr, and 50yr old whiskey available on their site....at least in the yamazaki style, which is their most popular.
Although available for online purchase (10yr-25yr), I happened to stumble across it at my local liqueur store! They only had the 12 yr available, at what I thought to be a quite reasonable price of about 55 USD. Considering the same bottle through Suntory directly (prior to any kind of shipping) when taking the conversion rate into account was over 80 USD! Unfortunately the price of the 18yr old is nearly double, and the price of the 25yr old is borderline obscene....
As far as the taste.....it's pretty descent. For those familiar with their whiskey, I found it very similar to VO Gold or Crown Canadian whiskeys (which I do enjoy). It has a bit more bite then I think a 12yr old whiskey should have, but it is quite flavorful. I may or may not purchase it again, as I find the less expensive Tullamordew to be somewhat better, and Glennlivet 12yr old to be quite a bit better and still a few bucks cheaper. I will however save it for special occasions and of course, future viewings....which I think, may have to happen right now...I'm getting thirsty. Hope this clarifies or helps anyone else out there who is still looking for or wondering about this drink!

onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

#20 Post by onesmokin3g » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:59 pm

Oh, and thanks Bob for fixing the Log In issues!