hello

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

sweetmidori
Tourist

hello

#1 Post by sweetmidori » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:31 pm

I have a sound recording studio, and I played around with the levels, untill the backround noise was eliminated almost completely. I can say with confidence that Bob says "Promise me you won't give up that easy. On the flight back, you tell the truth, okay?"

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: hello

#2 Post by jm » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:52 am

Thanks, but we've done this countless times.
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy

Greetings new member!

#3 Post by A guy » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:36 am

Yea we've heard everything and we still dont want to know.
Its like the Zapruder film. No one will ever really know what happened.
:)

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#4 Post by KKDallas » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:23 pm

I know this topic has been hashed to death here and on other message boards. But I seemed to detect sarcasm towards Sweetmidori. Maybe he/she was so happy with their discovery that they felt the need to share with other LiT fans. That's ok, even though we all have our own opinions as to Bob's final words.

I am going through some difficult times on behalf of my children and cliques at school. I felt the need to step in and say something in a newbie's defense. :)

Now, how'bout a group hug? :lol:

lostinflorida
Traveler

#5 Post by lostinflorida » Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:15 am

If that is what he said (Although I'm sure it just said "whisper in her ear" on the script) it would be wonderful. Good job on coming up with that.

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#6 Post by CHris! » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:04 am

I think I read that it wasnt scripted, it was just those two going with the flow, So only Bill, Scarlett and maybe sofia coppola knows what was said ;P
theres nothing more than this

jml98
Asleep

#7 Post by jml98 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:58 pm

just one LAST thing before no one ever talks about this again (b/c really its been argued about for sooo long) In the original screenplay there is a "rough" scripting of what happens.

In the original screenplay, this scene isn't even close to how it turns out! Here is how it is in sofia's original screenplay:

"
BOB
Charlotte!

But she can't hear him over the loudspeaker. He rushes to her.

C.U. she turns and we see she is crying.

The music swells. He embraces her, holding her close to him in the crowd.

BOB (CONT'D)
Why are you crying?

CHARLOTTE (sincere)
I'll miss you.

He kisses her, hugs her good-bye.

BOB
I know, I'm going to miss you, too.

He holds her close.

Charlotte watches Bob as he reaches his car, he turns and looks at her.

She smiles at him, and is lost in the crowd.

Bob gets into his car.

CUT TO:
Charlotte walks with the crowd as they go on their way.

CUT TO:
INT. CAR - DAY

Back in the Presidential, alone, Bob leans against the little doily. They drive off.

He looks out the window, Bob's happy he's going home, he's happy he came to Tokyo.

Bob's P.O.V.- Tokyo goes past his window

FADE TO BLACK. "

Again, that's how it is in Sofia's original screenplay, if you are interested.

One last thing: I also have heard it with the background noise almost silent. I'm almost certain that Bob says,

"Promise me you won't give up that easy. On the flight home, tell him the truth, ok?"

each time i rewatch the movie, when this scene happens I don't pretend that Bob is saying this into Charlotte's ear. Rather, I imagine that I don't know what is being said; i don't want to know what he said, and in a way i regret ever listening to it with the background sound down. It's sooo much better if you dont' know what he said. it's more magical (for a lack of a better term) that way...

And with that, let us never speak of this whisper again...let it simply be remembered as a last private goodbye between two intimate friends, just as Sofia had intended it to be....