"Just Like Honey"; deeper meaning

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

jml98
Asleep

"Just Like Honey"; deeper meaning

#1 Post by jml98 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 1:25 am

I watched the LiT again this past weekend (feels so right to do it late at night...); I don't even know how many times I've seen it now. The last scene was, of course, heartbreaking, as it is everytime. But this time I realized a deeper meaning of the lyrics of the song "Just Like Honey" which plays as Bob walks away. The lyrics start:

"Listen to the girl/as she takes on half the world/moving up and so alive..." and later on in the song, "walking back to you/is the hardest thing/for me to do"

To me, there is a deeper meaning. The "girl" that "takes on half the world" is Charlotte. Bob wants to be with this girl so badly (and vice versa), but knows its not possible, and ends up "walking back to you" (Bob's wife, Lydia), which is "the hardest thing for [him] to do". I love it! I love this movie more and more everytime i watch it, and especially because i notice things like this.

What do you guys think? am i on to something or am i just full of crud? (i won't be offended if you think i'm full of it; be honest in your responses)

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

just like...

#2 Post by findingcharlotte » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:29 am

It just seems to work right as the final song. Like all the music in the film.its beautifully chosen and helps to tell this most special story..
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

CHris!
Evelyn Waugh

#3 Post by CHris! » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:10 am

The song works so well with that scene and to an extent, I think the song does have a deeper meaning, atleast relating to charlotte. With her not knowing what she wants to do yet, her walking away and "taking on the world" is whats needed to really discover herself, or the idea of "taking on the world" could just be to emphasize loneliness, or I could just be talking crud, good song tho.

;D
theres nothing more than this

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Just Like Honey... » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:33 pm

as you might be able to tell, im a huge fan of that song too and i have actually spend some similar time deliberating about it. i basically figured out the same thing as you, that charlotte is the girl who "takes on half the world" all while being pleasant and happy most of the time (up and so alive) with bob. the one thing that i did notice though, that im probably wrong about, is the part about walking back to you. what i hear is "walking, back to you" which would mean bob walking away from charlotte, after he turns around the last time and knows they will never see each other again. it was my signature at one point until i realize that it's really not said that way in the song but hey its something to think about, and it seems to make a bit more sense in the context of the movie.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Guest10

MBV

#5 Post by Guest10 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:32 pm

Wonder if My Bloody Valentine's-Sometimes has a deeper meaning. Its not like you can understand the lyirics anyway.But I think Kevin Shields is brilliant at making some of the songs and I really thing this Japanesee guy's song at the end of the credits is really cool and perfectly taps off the bittersweet ending.

The movie was good as it was, the music made it great.

Guest10

#6 Post by Guest10 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:37 pm

Close my eyes
Feel me now
I don't know
How you could not love me now
You will know
With her feet down to the ground
Over There
and I want you, love, to know
You can't hide
Oh no
From the way I feel
[new translation]

Close my eye(s)
Feel the high
I don't know
But you could not love me now
You alone
And I feel down to the ground
Over there
And I want to ???
You can hide
Oh, but where to?
[old translation]

Turn my head
Into sound
I don't know
But I lay down on the ground
You will find
The ???
Never care
When you're ??? to ???
You will see
??? down
On your way to

You will (wait)
See me go
I don't care
When you're heading for ???
You will break
When I turn my eyes (around)
Over there
When I hold you next to me
Overhead
To ???
??? see you

Its from when Bob sleeps in the cab and Charlotte looks out the window right?

jml98
Asleep

#7 Post by jml98 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:53 am

i think you are confusing The Jesus and Mary Chain's "Just like Honey" (the song at the end, after the whisper, as we see taxi going to the airport, with My Bloody Valentine's "Sometimes", which is, as you say, the song when bob is sleeping in the car with charlotte. The lyrics you posted is "Sometimes". :D

btw, guest10, you think about becoming a member? you seem interested enough...

Guest10

#8 Post by Guest10 » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:08 pm

well many songs are the same kind of style in this movie. what do you get when you become a member? I mean what can you do different from when you are just a guest?

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#9 Post by The Shoegazer » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:03 pm

I was the Guest10 guy , I became a member so looking forward to post further on this board!

jml98
Asleep

#10 Post by jml98 » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:45 am

well...i guess its more personalized...i dunno, lol theres nothing really that a member can do that a guest cannot...i dunno

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#11 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:14 am

Well you can join chat and stuff, have your avatar, and build up your rank by making posts.. :)
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#12 Post by A moment of silence » Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:00 pm

O.K. I'm confused. I thought "walking back to you.." meant walking back to charlotte. Meaning that he'd rather leave her and let that experience be remembered instead of staying with her and ruining the memory and their recent marriage. I do have a question though "eating up the scum it's the hardest thing for me to do" is a part of the song. Does this mean that Bob had to eat the scum because he was leaving Charlotte or he would be eating it if he'd stayed ?
I have also tried to tear this song apart. It goes so well with the end of the film. I love it. It makes my heart pound fast. Beautiful! :shock:
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#13 Post by jm » Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:22 am

"[quote:dee125b3ab="A moment of silence"]I have also tried to tear this song apart. [/quote:dee125b3ab]
I think Sofia liked the song and thought it would go well there. Don't think [u:dee125b3ab]too[/u:dee125b3ab] hard!"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#14 Post by Congruous » Fri Oct 07, 2005 1:24 pm

I agree with JM. The song works great where it is. The lyrics may or may not parallel the storyline.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#15 Post by A moment of silence » Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:43 pm

Yah, i know, still I got obsessed. hehe, it's ridiculous because it's not like it was written for the movie- but it does go with it.
And- i stopped "tearing it apart" in case you were wondering... JohnMonkey and Congruous, thanks for caring.
:twisted:
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last