Anna Faris's character...

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Fan

Anna Faris's character...

#1 Post by Fan » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:16 pm

is she based off a real actress? I had head that she was. Thanks

jml98
Asleep

#2 Post by jml98 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:20 pm

rumors have it that her character is based on Cameron Diaz and John is based on Spike Jonze (Sofia's ex hubby)...theres a rumor that spike and cameron had an affair on the set of Being John Malokovich (Jonze directed, Diaz starred in it)....anyway i dunno if its true. thats what is said tho

Fan

#3 Post by Fan » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:24 pm

Thats pretty much what i had heard. Interesting. Thanks for the info

jml98
Asleep

#4 Post by jml98 » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:32 pm

is that why sofia/spike divorced, b/c spike cheated on her? if not, why did they? anybody know?...isn't she with quentin tarantino now?

Guest10

Anna

#5 Post by Guest10 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:25 pm

there isn't much talk about her on this board, i thought she was really cool in the movie especially when she sings, so cute

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:07 am

the whole point of kelly in the movie is to provide some comic relief, really. it's actually interesting that you mentioned cameron diaz because i actually did think of her when i first saw anna's character at the press conference.
she's basically the stereotypical dumb blonde that gets by by being 'cute' and innocent.. a great source of comic relief though, definetly in the sense that you (or bob and charlotte) are lauging 'at her' and not 'with her'.
they also bring the disruption between charlotte and john into light again when they first meet kelly, because john seems to like her, and wants to go out for a drink later, while charlotte instantly realizes she's a hollywood ditz. we can see it when charlotte pulls away from john after him and kelly's conversation, where he kind of ignores her (charlotte) for the first few minutes. that's my thoughts on kelly anyway.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#7 Post by KKDallas » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:00 am

One of my favorite scenes is when John and Charlotte meet Kelly in the lobby. SJ's talents as an actrees really shine in this scene. She hardly says anything but look at Kelly and John. But you know exactly what she is thinking by only her facial expressions.

In the script, Kelly is carrying a copy of "Memoirs of a Geisha" in this scene. For some reason this amuses me. I guess I find it funny that Kelly would be reading but also that she would think that book is so intellectual and that she is learning something about Japan. That book is about geishas, a dying profession, a long time ago. NOthing having to do with modern Japan at all.

Kenobi
Traveler

#8 Post by Kenobi » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:46 am

KKDallas wrote:One of my favorite scenes is when John and Charlotte meet Kelly in the lobby. SJ's talents as an actrees really shine in this scene. She hardly says anything but look at Kelly and John. But you know exactly what she is thinking by only her facial expressions.

In the script, Kelly is carrying a copy of "Memoirs of a Geisha" in this scene. For some reason this amuses me. I guess I find it funny that Kelly would be reading but also that she would think that book is so intellectual and that she is learning something about Japan. That book is about geishas, a dying profession, a long time ago. NOthing having to do with modern Japan at all.
That's a really good observation. I didn't know that but I do know :)

silvermoon
Suntory Time

#9 Post by silvermoon » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:21 pm

just an observation...the press conference she gives about midnight velocity. she says 'keanu' dies, and eventually gets reincarnated, and then says there's hope. meaning the old charlotte (or bob?), the one who was lost and confused at the start of the film, dies when bob (charlotte?) leaves, and is reincarnated as a person with a more optimistic outlook after her/his experience. and there's hope in that charlotte may have the inspiration to leave her husband, and bob will try to keep his marriage together for the sake of his kids (or something, dont know what). so their relationship is unconsummated but they do give each other hope. kelly not seeming so stupid now! unless i'm the stupid one for implying something that isnt there...well, just a thought

blades7896
Alone in Kyoto

#10 Post by blades7896 » Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:59 pm

I always thing of it as a little insight into Sofia's showbiz world, full of idiots and morons that people like John fawn over to be with them when they really aren't interesting at all.