Phoenix

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

Phoenix

#1 Post by preciouswhile » Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:26 pm

Hello all.

I'm sure that many of you enjoy the LiT soundtrack as much as I do. It fits the movie perfectly, and it's the CD I listen to the most on my commutes to work.

Anyway, Phoenix happens to be in the middle of their first US tour. I actually didn't find out they were in Seattle until 2-3 days before the concert. Someone at work said "Wow, Phoenix is playing here." "What, Too Young Phoenix?" I said as I ran over to his desk (yes, I only know them from LiT. I feel guilty). Sure enough it was them. I bought tickets right then.

Unfortunately there are only 2 dates left, in LA and San Diego, but if any of you are there I highly recommend seeing them. If you liked Too Young, you'll love the rest of their songs too. And it was great dancing to them, especially since I can dance about as well as Bill Murray.

Here are the remaining dates/locations:
Sun Dec 12, LA, at the Troubadour (all ages)
Mon Dec 13, San Diego, Cane's (21+)
Last edited by preciouswhile on Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#2 Post by The Shoegazer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:56 pm

I loved Too Young but I didn't really like the rest of their songs so much. I guess with some songs you have to listen a few times to them to like them.I'll try that. After LiT I really got into My Bloody Valentine music though.

jml98
Asleep

#3 Post by jml98 » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:53 pm

The Shoegazer wrote:I loved Too Young but I didn't really like the rest of their songs so much.
i can't say that i agree with you...i don't really like pop music, but i like Phoenix

gusornot
Tourist

#4 Post by gusornot » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:37 am

for poppy music, it's definitely got some promise.

i don't know if anyone else will be into it, but there's this band called snow patrol that is starting to get airplay here in l.a. with their song "run". this song is on permanent repeat in my cd player right now. and after re-watching LiT monday, i felt that the movie and the song "run" are like perfect fits. the mood and lyrics of the song are so in line with each other.

check out http://www.snowpatrol.net
even if you cannot hear my voice
ill be right beside you dear

Bob_san
Site Admin

#5 Post by Bob_san » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:39 am

I am going to resurrect this thread in honor of Phoenix's performance on SNL recently!!! I spent some time reading about them on wikipedia and found out the following:
grew up in the same culture that produced late-'90s bands such as Air and Daft Punk.
It seems that the two bands - Phx and Air - or their members worked together on projects.
Thomas Mars' partner is film director Sofia Coppola. They have a daughter, Romy, named after Coppola's brother, Roman Coppola. Mars and Coppola met during the production of Sofia Coppola's first feature film The Virgin Suicides, when Mars helped mix and did the vocals on the song "Playground Love" for the band Air which was used in the movie.
This explains a lot. Much to our benefit!

Here are some of their websites:

http://www.wearephoenix.com/

http://wearephoenix.com/journal/

http://www.youtube.com/welovephoenix

andymaq
Traveler

#6 Post by andymaq » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:21 am

Phoenix's new song is fantastic! I'm definitely going to buy Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix!
Lip them!

Dupont Odeon
Sleepless in Tokyo

#7 Post by Dupont Odeon » Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:49 pm

I saw them in Philly. They were great. I love french pop.

Edit:

Phoenix is touring in support of their new album (which is fantastic). Definitely try to catch them!