Has anyone here had a relationship like that?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Pitman
Suntory Time

#41 Post by Pitman » Tue May 16, 2006 6:52 pm

kite wrote:wow Pitman, that sounds really nice and...nostalgic. :cry:
Yes, very true. I would like it if more of these experiences happened. It gives life such sparkle. I believe in the soul and spirit and deeper connections. Seems all this physical stuff often gets in the way.

mothling
LIT Super Fan

#42 Post by mothling » Thu May 18, 2006 10:23 am

Pitman wrote:mothling, great experience. It does certainly compare. Thanks for sharing. I understand the relevance and similarity to Bob and Charlotte regarding the connecting in a real and meaningful way. Finding these kind of connections is not so easy. It looks like you really did get a lot out of that discussion, and it's a good thing you were open to that. Not all people would be.
I think I was at that point in time when I really just wanted to talk to somebody and get some guidance on things, and he was there at the right moment and right time, doing just that, and that was how I managed to open up so much to him, and vice versa.

I am going to be seeing him again for the first time in years at an Engagement Party in a few weeks. Should be interesting. I'd like to know what he is upto now since we spoke.
i know that diamonds mean money for this art, but that's not the shape of my heart.

Nak Nak
Awake

#43 Post by Nak Nak » Sun May 21, 2006 4:06 pm

Well, here's my first post.

I haven't had a fleeting connection like they had in LiT, but I am very accustomed to leaving the one I love behind. I'm in a long distance relationship and I know all too well how jet lag, driving through fairly unfamiliar environs at night and difficult goodbyes feel. So whenever I hear Charlotte say "Bye." in that choked voice, it hits me like a punch in the gut.
----------------
It's a godawful small affair
To the girl with the mousy hair

Pitman
Suntory Time

#44 Post by Pitman » Mon May 22, 2006 2:15 pm

Nak Nak wrote:Well, here's my first post.

I haven't had a fleeting connection like they had in LiT, but I am very accustomed to leaving the one I love behind. I'm in a long distance relationship and I know all too well how jet lag, driving through fairly unfamiliar environs at night and difficult goodbyes feel. So whenever I hear Charlotte say "Bye." in that choked voice, it hits me like a punch in the gut.

Welcome to the club Nak Nak! I'm a newbie here too. As you can see this forum was just thriving with activity last year. There are now only occasional posters. It feels a bit like a ghost town. So it's great to see newcomers! :)

During the fire alarm scene when Charlotte asks Bob when he's leaving, Bob is so choked up about it. It's such a moving scene too.

Nak Nak
Awake

#45 Post by Nak Nak » Mon May 22, 2006 8:27 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I noticed that the forum isn't exactly busy. I was itching to get posting as soon as I found it, though.

Hopefully something like a Criterion release (aye, I know about the failed request) will renew interest in the film and get more people in here, ha.

LiT always makes me think about "what ifs" - what if I'd bothered to talk to the girl at the hotel, what if she'd talked to me and so on. I've talked to a lot of interesting people on planes and sort of regretted leaving them at the end of the journey.
----------------

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#46 Post by Flyonthewall » Wed May 24, 2006 12:28 am

Nak Nak wrote:Well, here's my first post.

Heya and Welcome :D
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

Nak Nak
Awake

#47 Post by Nak Nak » Wed May 24, 2006 11:43 am

Thanks for the welcome. Seems like a quiet but nice community.

To keep this post on topic (sort of) -
I had a dream that I went to a neon-adorned city like Tokyo with my betterhalf the other night.
----------------

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#48 Post by Old Member B » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:07 am

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: Short LIT moment

#49 Post by jm » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:21 pm

"[quote:577f41e030="Ben-B"]I had a short LIT moment today.

Met her at the bus stop...

Wanna hear more?[/quote:577f41e030]Jesus H."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nak Nak
Awake

Re: Short LIT moment

#50 Post by Nak Nak » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:55 pm

Ben-B wrote:I had a short LIT moment today.

Met her at the bus stop...

Wanna hear more?
Hurry up and tell us, man!
----------------

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#51 Post by burgundy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:42 pm

I've been thinking about this since I first saw the movie a couple weeks ago. I guess a few of those fleeting mass transit-type encounters that Pitman described but nothing really stood out.

Until now.

I was going over my astrology files (yeah, sorry -- I like to indulge my post-rational side every now and then), and I came across the chart of a Korean girl I used to know about 10 years ago. She was fantastic. Very individualistic, not at all like the cliche of young Asians in search of trendy brand name clothes, etc. I remember her favourite movie was Planet of the Apes! I thought -- gee, that's different. And she was. She was a friend of friend who was in Toronto from Korea to study English. We got on famously at the party where we met. I was attracted to her and I think she was to me too. I think it was on that first evening that she broke the bad news: she was going back to Seoul in three days!

Talk about bad luck. We saw each other a couple of times after that, for dinner, etc. But I decided early on that I wasn't going to push it. Unlike Bob and Charlotte, we weren't involved with other people, but it just seemed to crazy to proceed down that love street when we would never see each other again. I probably could have "made my move" but realized that I wasn't built that way. I wasn't a notch-on-the-bedpost type.

And the last night I saw her, we got together for drinks or whatever, and I walked her back to her place. And then she gave me a goodbye gift, the hardcover Bollingen edition of the I Ching -- The Book of Changes. Pretty nice and yet I didn't give her anything. What a knob I was. But I figured we'd only known each other 3 days, and we didn't get romantically involved, so why bother with the gift... How insensitive.

Anyway, we said our goodbyes, both realizing that this was one of those classic missed opportunities in life. I think I stated the obvious then: "why didn't I meet you 6 months ago?" "We are not lucky people", she said or something like that. I can't remember if I even kissed her on the cheek. Definitely no lip action because I would have remembered that.

And then I walked home in the clear night air just shaking my head. I hadn't thought of her in years so it's nice to do that. Another dividend of being a fan of this movie.

That's really what LIT is all about -- making connections that can't last because of circumstances and coming to terms with the inevitable feelings of loss that result.
With intensity.

Pockets
Suntory Time

#52 Post by Pockets » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:36 pm

About five or six years ago, I would be in GA once a month on business for four days. I had a good friend who was much older than me, married and in the same business. I had a boyfriend back home. We would have three dinners together every month and it was wonderful. I loved his company, his sense of humor and his southern gentlemanly manners.

Older men can be awesome company, they seem to be more cultured and intellectual. Right now though, I am in a terrific relationship with a man many years my junior. I feel what's good about a May-December relationship is that initially, one relates more on common interests and having a good friendship, and less so on lust and all the shallow nonsense that goes with that. With men my own age, there is an annoying competitive undercurrent about who is smarter, more right or who gets to wear the pants, and that is from modern society and men and women being equals.

kite
LIT Super Fan

#53 Post by kite » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:53 pm

Well said.

BrassInPocket
Wide Awake

#54 Post by BrassInPocket » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:59 am

Although I haven't had anything like the situation in LIT, I do have a very, very, very dear friend who lives on the other side of the world, whom I've never met, and who loves LIT just as much as I do. It's a long story how we met (online, of course), but I consider her my "Charlotte" and she considers me her "Bob", and our relationship is strangely very much like the one in the movie. Which is a very nice, comforting thing. You can be lost and find someone without ever actually being with them in person.

Pockets
Suntory Time

#55 Post by Pockets » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:40 pm

Of course we should consider that Bob and Charlotte's encounter was brief and outside their normal environments. It could be that if they were able to spend a lot of time together back in the States, things wouldn't be as perfect any longer.

As to virtual internet friendships, I'm a member of several other message boards devoted to cars. And with the exception of about four people (including my boyfriend), most people were a letdown when met in real life. I mean that they were all nice regular people, but online, people generally post their best and most entertaining life stories and so they can seem more interesting than they really are.

BrassInPocket
Wide Awake

#56 Post by BrassInPocket » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:05 pm

Having internet-dated in the past, believe me...I know. :)

Pockets
Suntory Time

#57 Post by Pockets » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:23 pm

In terms of internet dating, guys have it much easier imo. Men are more visually stimulated, so the women are insecure that they won't meet up with their date's standards of hotness. I feel that women are looking less for a handsome guy and more for someone with inner qualities. As I said before, with our culture, it's acceptable that Charlotte could be attracted to Bob despite being older and not handsome. However if the sexes were reversed, the storyline wouldn't be believable with Charlotte being older and unattractive.

BrassInPocket
Wide Awake

#58 Post by BrassInPocket » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:38 pm

I've been trying to think of an arguement against your post, Pockets, but...uh, I can't come up with one. You're pretty much right, and that makes me (as a guy) feel a bit shallow. :(

Pockets
Suntory Time

#59 Post by Pockets » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:54 pm

It's just human nature. Men and women are wired differently, but we are meant to compliment each other, all that yin and yang stuff. However, our current society is particularly shallow at present.

Emma
Stocking Lipper

#60 Post by Emma » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:35 am

burgundy wrote:That's really what LIT is all about -- making connections that can't last because of circumstances and coming to terms with the inevitable feelings of loss that result.
Beautifully said, burgundy.