Bob's Wife

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Blissbomb unlogged

Bob's Wife

#1 Post by Blissbomb unlogged » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:36 am

Another topic of this movie is the relationship Bob is not having with his wife. Why do women change as they get older, why do they treat their husbands like crap. Why does material possessions mean so much more to women than it does to men. You can hear the contempt in her voice as she talks to him on the phone and the way bob gives those bland answers in reply? Why do women for no aparent reason resent their husbands even when they are providing for them and working hard to keep a roof over their heads. Its a mystery wrapped in a riddle.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: Bob's Wife

#2 Post by jm » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:16 pm

"I pass over the obvious thing to comment on, and stick to the movie. The voice for Lydia was the costume designer, who I have read had good chemistry with Murray and fell into doing the part of Lydia. I think she's perfect at it.

And I'm not sure how [u:76440c5742]hard[/u:76440c5742] Mr. Harris is working."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#3 Post by hull_street » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:30 pm

A Mystery Guest trying to raise our collective hackles wrote:Another topic of this movie is the relationship Bob is not having with his wife. Why do women change as they get older, why do they treat their husbands like crap. Why does material possessions mean so much more to women than it does to men. You can hear the contempt in her voice as she talks to him on the phone and the way bob gives those bland answers in reply? Why do women for no aparent reason resent their husbands even when they are providing for them and working hard to keep a roof over their heads. Its a mystery wrapped in a riddle.
Well, let's really examine the situation. Bob cheats on his wife when he is out travelling alone. Call it what you want, but the guy doesn't resist women. Meanwhile, Lydia is home, raising the children, biding her time making the house that Bob makes possible a nicer place. She asks for Bob's opinion, at least on the areas he is likely to frequent, such as the study. She obviously cooks for him, otherwise she wouldn't have been so taken aback when he cries that he doesn't want "all that pasta". And if things aren't bad enough, he treats her like dirt when she calls him. And you wonder why there is contempt in her voice when he is out partying in Tokyo all night, forgetting important family events, and spending as much time as possible with a woman half his age?

This sounds more like a woman who truly knows her husband. I might suggest that Bob's wife may have had an affair of her own the very same night that Bob did. Did anyone find Lydia's voice a little _too_ chirpy the next day after the "hot tub" phone call ? And she _is_ spending a lot of time with those construction workers... ;)

jml98
Asleep

#4 Post by jml98 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:00 pm

hull_street wrote: I might suggest that Bob's wife may have had an affair of her own the very same night that Bob did. Did anyone find Lydia's voice a little _too_ chirpy the next day after the "hot tub" phone call ? And she _is_ spending a lot of time with those construction workers... ;)
i don't know if you really tell that someone is having an affair because of the sound of their voice over the phone...no offense, but its kind of a stretch...i guess u are entitled to ur own interpretation of the movie, so if that is how you thought it was, then so be it, but i cannot say i agree with you

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#5 Post by hull_street » Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:29 pm

Sorry, jml98, I was certainly _not_ seriously suggesting that. Just thought I'd throw it out there for it's shock value. This thread seems a good place for that.

jml98
Asleep

#6 Post by jml98 » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:04 pm

haha fair enough...why do u put the underscores?

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#7 Post by hull_street » Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:35 pm

jml98 wrote:haha fair enough...why do u put the underscores?
That would be because I am an aging relic, jml...thanks for pointing it out. In order to show emphasis in our electronic communications back in the "olden days" (think 1990), we'd bookshelve words with underscores (or asterisks). Just a throwback to a forgotten culture, a time before spam, spyware & HTML existed, and when kids had to walk 5 miles uphill in the snow to school every day.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#8 Post by jm » Thu Jan 13, 2005 12:13 am

"[quote:0de10c63ec="hull_street"][quote:0de10c63ec="jml98"]haha fair enough...why do u put the underscores?[/quote:0de10c63ec]
That would be because I am an aging relic, jml...thanks for pointing it out. In order to show emphasis in our electronic communications back in the "olden days" (think 1990), we'd bookshelve words with underscores (or asterisks). Just a throwback to a forgotten culture, a time before spam, spyware & HTML existed, and when kids had to walk 5 miles uphill in the snow to school every day.[/quote:0de10c63ec]

*** QUESTION! ***

Do you remember, when you would trade pictures with another BBS user, you needed a stamp and an envelope?

[color=blue:0de10c63ec]
Ready
_[/color:0de10c63ec]"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#9 Post by hull_street » Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:55 am

Thanks, John, *that* brought back some memories! I remember the "sharing rules" we used to have: For every 5 files you downloaded, you had to upload something to be shared with others.

I also remember the day I installed a new program called Mosaic on our Unix server at the office, and wondered what the big deal was over some text you could click on.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#10 Post by A moment of silence » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:37 pm

Marriage is hard, just like Bob told Charlotte.
Lydia and Bob had been married for 25 years!
they already had two kids and took most of their time together for granted. I don't know what to tell you, I have never been married, but Lydia was just as bored and lost as Bob probably. She had to be there with the kids all stressed up. And yes she might have had an affair too with the construction workers (lol). no, seriously.
I just wish they started to fix things once Bob had come back from Japan.
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#11 Post by 52FM » Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:41 pm

Unless I'm mistaken about Bob - I'm sure he tried his damnedest to work things out with Lydia.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#12 Post by adrien950 » Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:45 pm

Yeah,I agree. I think his relationship with Charlotte woke him up from his sort of zombie-like state that he was in for so long. I think he realized what he wanted in a relationship and was excited to go repair his damaged marriage.