Hey everyone

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

Hey everyone

#1 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Sun Jan 23, 2005 9:25 am

After seeing the movie twice, I had decided that it was my favorite. I had always felt it, but then I watched it again last night for the third time.. my first time watching it alone. The scene where they are laying down together on the bed and Bob turns on his side to face her, out of nowhere I started getting tears in my eyes. Before the final scene when they say goodbye in the hotel lobby and she walks away, the look on his face killed me. So much that it was painful. The final scene was obviously just a continuation of what I had already been feeling throughout the last half hour or so, and while it was satisfying, it was still painful.

I had been listening to and had really gotten into some of the music that was on the soundtrack, My Bloody Valentine, Death in Vegas, Happy End, Phoenix, etc.. knowing that music and then hearing it in context again was really powerful. It was like I knew exactly where and why each song fit into the scenes.

I'm an 18 year old male with a few months left until I finish high school and head off to college, and I have no idea why this movie effects me so much. I have not had the experiences that either of these two have had, but I guess it's more about relating to the feelings. I understand completely why some people don't like this movie, but i have never loved a movie as much as I have Lost in Translation. People who don't get it are quick to call it pretentious, but there is not one pretentious scene in this whole movie.

Despite the unfortunate events that lead up to feeling "lost" in these characters' lives, their meeting gives hope that no matter how bad things get, there is someone out there who can make it better. I could only be so lucky as to find that person.
--
(that's what i posted on the IMDB board, but i thought it would make a good intro for here)

i'm so glad i found this place, people who feel like i do. talk to you all soon!

mike

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:59 pm

Welcome! Glad you've come to soul-search with us, Mike. I'm also an 18 year old male so I can relate to you in the sense that I don't know either why this movie touched me the way it did. Either way, it's really an amazing thing as I can see you've noticed. Check out the thread on the multi-view that should be happening soon :)
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

jml98
Asleep

Re: Hey everyone

#3 Post by jml98 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:22 pm

WhoFeelsLove wrote: The scene where they are laying down together on the bed and Bob turns on his side to face her, out of nowhere I started getting tears in my eyes. Before the final scene when they say goodbye in the hotel lobby and she walks away, the look on his face killed me. So much that it was painful. The final scene was obviously just a continuation of what I had already been feeling throughout the last half hour or so, and while it was satisfying, it was still painful.

I had been listening to and had really gotten into some of the music that was on the soundtrack, My Bloody Valentine, Death in Vegas, Happy End, Phoenix, etc.. knowing that music and then hearing it in context again was really powerful. It was like I knew exactly where and why each song fit into the scenes.

mike
that part u said about their bed conversation is so true. i saw an interview with Scarlett and she said that she believes that people that like the movie really start to appreciate it after watching this scene. I think it's great how theres no sexual "vibe" or anything. You don't really get the sense that something like that is going to happen and its refreshing. The final scene renders one speechless. I remember the first time i saw it, i was just sitting there, feeling so many emotions. I was paralyzed, i couldn't move until the credits were almost over.

I'm a 17 year old male (16 when i saw it) ...and people say that no one under 20 will appreciate LiT..:D

The soundtrack is great. I discovered bands like Phoenix and MBV after watching the movie.

p.s. you're the 100th member, i'm glad our little community here is growing so well!

Blissbomb
Stocking Lipper

#4 Post by Blissbomb » Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:32 am

lol, Im starting to wonder if LIT affects men more than it does women. Seems to be a lot of guys on this site.

Or does it mean that there just isnt any women out there like Charlotte?
Lost in World

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#5 Post by jml2 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:57 pm

Blissbomb wrote: Or does it mean that there just isnt any women out there like Charlotte?
well Sofia Coppola is Charlotte, so there's at least one out there.

Blissbomb
Stocking Lipper

#6 Post by Blissbomb » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:59 pm

I think that is the most obvious part of the movie, that Charlotte is really Sofia. I wonder who the real guy was that she met in japan. He is one lucky man.
Lost in World

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#7 Post by jml2 » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:14 pm

Blissbomb wrote:I think that is the most obvious part of the movie, that Charlotte is really Sofia. I wonder who the real guy was that she met in japan. He is one lucky man.
I don't think there was any one guy she met in Japan, but there probably were (there must have been) experiences sort of like this one while she was married.
Also I personally don't think she is as smart as the character of Charlotte is meant to be (philosophy degree and all), though she probably is in her own way. She would be as sensitive and girly and low-key and dry though

Blissbomb
Stocking Lipper

#8 Post by Blissbomb » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:29 am

jml2 wrote:
Blissbomb wrote:I think that is the most obvious part of the movie, that Charlotte is really Sofia. I wonder who the real guy was that she met in japan. He is one lucky man.
Also I personally don't think she is as smart as the character of Charlotte is meant to be (philosophy degree and all), though she probably is in her own way. She would be as sensitive and girly and low-key and dry though
Sofia not smart?? she makes the most inciteful movie of the decade and you say shes not smart? :roll:
Lost in World

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#9 Post by Just Like Honey... » Thu Jan 27, 2005 5:30 pm

well, Sofia is smart in the sense that she can create movies and inspire feelings like this. she is smart in a right-brained way.. in "the arts" per se. Charlotte is portrayed as being smart in the left-brained sense or "book smart" as some people say. that's what was probabaly meant by Sofia being smart "in her own way" as opposed to having a philosophy degree, etc.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.