The 420 reference and Japanese Surfers

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

The 420 reference and Japanese Surfers

#1 Post by Suntory » Mon May 10, 2004 5:05 pm

I was reading the translation of Luigi's review (see the reviews topic) and in it I see:
When receiving a fax from the woman in full dawn, Bob Harris (Bill Murray) looks at astonished for the clock in the servant dumb. The hour, 4h20, give origin to an interesting speculation regarding the script of Sofia Coppola. It is that number 420 capsized synonymous marijuana in U.S.A.. according to reviewed High Teamses , the bible of the marijuana users, 420 it exactly came of the schedule 4h20. according to publisher of the magazine, in the decade of 70, a flock of Californian adolescents costumava if to congregate in this schedule to smoke cannabis . Currently, 20 of April (4/20, in English), besides being the anniversary of Adolf Hitler and of the slaughter in Columbine (vide Shots in Columbine , of Michael Moore ), also are a date festejada for apreciadores of the hemp in the whole world. Coming back to the film Lost In Translation , in the party with the Japanese?surfistas, little before the scenes of the karaoke, Bob Harris and Charlotte also smoke marijuana.
I didn't realize the reference and I had not noticed them smoking pot. I thought they were smoking cigarettes. I'll have to look at that more closely next time I watch it!

I like the introduction of Japanese Surfers to the movie. I saw a fabulous surfing documentary called "Step Into Liquid" and they chronicled the adventures of surfers around the world. I had no idea it was so widespread. So after seeing that and then LIT it was cool. I could watch footage of surfing all day! Especially in slpw motion!

teknikks

#2 Post by teknikks » Mon May 10, 2004 6:57 pm

delete
Last edited by teknikks on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

sc1957
Awake

#3 Post by sc1957 » Tue May 11, 2004 3:45 pm

I'm not sure what to make of "capsized synonymous marijuana," though the phrase "conspiracy theory" comes to mind. I know Luigi's not a native English speaker, so I tried to wade through the language as it is.

In the party scene, you do hear Bob ask, "What kind of weed is that?"

But here's another theory about 4:20... 4:20 AM is the absolute center of the night, the pit of darkness, the depth of sleeplessness despair. 2:30 and 3:00 AM may not seem late, and 5:00 AM is almost morning. But if you're awake at 4:20 AM, you are stuck.

Suntory

#4 Post by Suntory » Tue May 11, 2004 11:19 pm

sc1957 wrote:I'm not sure what to make of "capsized synonymous marijuana," though the phrase "conspiracy theory" comes to mind. I know Luigi's not a native English speaker, so I tried to wade through the language as it is.
Blame Google for that. The page was translated with it and they haven't perfected these things yet! I'm sure Luigi could translate if better than that if he wanted! Although maybe that IS what he meant, some European or Dutch reference we are not aware of in America or whevever...

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#5 Post by A moment of silence » Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:10 am

O.k. WOW. I think I always though that Charlotte was looking like she was high in that scene were Bob is singing "Peace, Love and Understanding"- look at her face, then when they sit outside of the kareaoke area she still has that look of "i'm stoned" hehe. Also, yes when they dance in Charlie's crib they behave like children. Funny.
Anyway, I never noticed that 4.20 reference..interesting. Thanks SUNTORY. :wink:
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#6 Post by adrien950 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:26 pm

Has Sofia made any comments about the 4:20 reference?

Congruous
Suntory Time

#7 Post by Congruous » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:15 pm

I do remember Bob asking the Japanese guy about the weed. I never got the impression they were smoking it.

There is an interesting reference to "420" in "War and Peace." One of the main characters, Pierre, is studying to be a mason and there is an explanation of the significance of "420." I have read "War and Peace" twice, and I remember the reference, but a friend of mine reminded me of the details of it a few months back.

At one of the websites I frequent, several of the guys use "420" or "42" to signify something timely or lucky.

Wing Fat
Tokyo Insomniac

#8 Post by Wing Fat » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:15 am

I have a feeling Sofia could have picked *any* time at random and someone would eventualy manufacture some kind of hidden meaning to it. I think it was probably chosen just because it's an annoyingly-early-in-the-morning time to receive a fax, not because of some obscure symbolism.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#9 Post by Just Like Honey... » Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:31 pm

Wing Fat wrote:I have a feeling Sofia could have picked *any* time at random and someone would eventualy manufacture some kind of hidden meaning to it. I think it was probably chosen just because it's an annoyingly-early-in-the-morning time to receive a fax, not because of some obscure symbolism.
420 = weed isn't really that obscure though, and they do end up smoking some.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Bills_Translation
Sleepless in Tokyo

#10 Post by Bills_Translation » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:54 pm

Eh, they were doing drugs? I thought all that crap was fake in movies...

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#11 Post by The Shoegazer » Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:16 pm

teknikks wrote:yeah the clock was definitely on purpose. it's so cheesy to do that, but sofia hasn't had much opportunity to do it, only being her second film. also, they smoke weed in the scene where everyone's hanging out in charlie brown's apartment. and notice their behavior at the start of that scene compared to the end.
^_^
Yeah, its a bit to convienient that he wakes up at exactly that point in time isnt it. I thought it might have something to the drug referance but didnt really think about it much. Sofia wanted it there and she put it in.
Here we are, Stuck by this river

LITobsession
Park Hyatt Regular

#12 Post by LITobsession » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:26 pm

I like how subtlely it was put in there. I guess "subtle" is a good way to describe LIT.
I'm still lost...

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#13 Post by jm » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:37 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#14 Post by Just Like Honey... » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:10 pm

johnmonkey wrote:And that's exactly why I hate the Lord of the Rings movies -- no subtlely from start to finish.
Thank You! 8)
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#15 Post by jm » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:34 am

"[quote:e2bb956d34="Just Like Honey..."][quote:e2bb956d34="johnmonkey"]And that's exactly why I hate the Lord of the Rings movies -- no subtlely from start to finish.[/quote:e2bb956d34]
Thank You! 8)[/quote:e2bb956d34]
Thank you for getting it and agreeing, without further explanation.
:D"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#16 Post by Beery » Tue May 09, 2006 2:58 am

Congruous wrote:At one of the websites I frequent, several of the guys use "420" or "42" to signify something timely or lucky.
42 is the answer to the ultimate question in "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy". :D
Last edited by Beery on Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#17 Post by Beery » Tue May 09, 2006 3:47 am

Just Like Honey... wrote:420 = weed isn't really that obscure though...
I'd never even heard of it before I spotted this thread. Anyway, the relationships between 420 and weed mentioned here seem a bit far-fetched. They all seem a bit vague as a basis for a pop culture reference. I mean students getting together at 4:20 - not 4:15 or 4:30? Sounds odd to me - sounds like an urban legend. Also, Hitler's birthday - what can that possibly have to do with weed? Hitler hated smoking of any kind. And Columbine? How does that relate to weed except perhaps in the most superficial way?
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#18 Post by jm » Tue May 09, 2006 5:32 am

"[quote:073cbe0c28="Beery"]I'd never even heard of it before I spotted this thread. Anyway, the relationships between 420 and weed mentioned here seem a bit far-fetched. [/quote:073cbe0c28]

No, 420 is very very strongly established as meaning pot.
And if [u:073cbe0c28]I[/u:073cbe0c28] can spot something as a pot reference, everyone else should be able to!

http://www.google.com/search?q=420
http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/420.htm"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#19 Post by Beery » Tue May 09, 2006 9:12 am

johnmonkey wrote:No, 420 is very very strongly established as meaning pot.
And if I can spot something as a pot reference, everyone else should be able to!
If you should, then everyone should? Are you suggesting that you have a sort of telepathic link to the rest of humanity? If I've never heard of it, how could I possibly get the reference? Many people have no psychic powers, so I'm not sure how they could possibly spot a reference they've never heard of. Also, your assertion doesn't explain how 420 is 'very established' as a pot reference. Saying something doesn't make it so, and your knowing well that a reference exists doesn't mean it's well-established. It only means you think it is.

As for your links, the snopes.com site says "Everyone who considers himself in the know about the drug subculture has heard that '420' has something to do with illegal drug use". That in no way means that everyone should be able to spot it as a pot reference, since those who are in the know about the drug subculture probably make up only a small percentage of the population. The fact that a Google search for 420 brings up pot references is similarly unconvincing. The fact that references exist is no measure of them having widespread acceptance.

Suntory

#20 Post by Suntory » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:06 am

Ugh a little late but Happy 420 day everyone!