The 420 reference and Japanese Surfers

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#16 Post by Beery » Tue May 09, 2006 2:58 am

Congruous wrote:At one of the websites I frequent, several of the guys use "420" or "42" to signify something timely or lucky.
42 is the answer to the ultimate question in "The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy". :D
Last edited by Beery on Tue May 09, 2006 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#17 Post by Beery » Tue May 09, 2006 3:47 am

Just Like Honey... wrote:420 = weed isn't really that obscure though...
I'd never even heard of it before I spotted this thread. Anyway, the relationships between 420 and weed mentioned here seem a bit far-fetched. They all seem a bit vague as a basis for a pop culture reference. I mean students getting together at 4:20 - not 4:15 or 4:30? Sounds odd to me - sounds like an urban legend. Also, Hitler's birthday - what can that possibly have to do with weed? Hitler hated smoking of any kind. And Columbine? How does that relate to weed except perhaps in the most superficial way?
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#18 Post by jm » Tue May 09, 2006 5:32 am

"[quote:073cbe0c28="Beery"]I'd never even heard of it before I spotted this thread. Anyway, the relationships between 420 and weed mentioned here seem a bit far-fetched. [/quote:073cbe0c28]

No, 420 is very very strongly established as meaning pot.
And if [u:073cbe0c28]I[/u:073cbe0c28] can spot something as a pot reference, everyone else should be able to!

http://www.google.com/search?q=420
http://www.snopes.com/language/stories/420.htm"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#19 Post by Beery » Tue May 09, 2006 9:12 am

johnmonkey wrote:No, 420 is very very strongly established as meaning pot.
And if I can spot something as a pot reference, everyone else should be able to!
If you should, then everyone should? Are you suggesting that you have a sort of telepathic link to the rest of humanity? If I've never heard of it, how could I possibly get the reference? Many people have no psychic powers, so I'm not sure how they could possibly spot a reference they've never heard of. Also, your assertion doesn't explain how 420 is 'very established' as a pot reference. Saying something doesn't make it so, and your knowing well that a reference exists doesn't mean it's well-established. It only means you think it is.

As for your links, the snopes.com site says "Everyone who considers himself in the know about the drug subculture has heard that '420' has something to do with illegal drug use". That in no way means that everyone should be able to spot it as a pot reference, since those who are in the know about the drug subculture probably make up only a small percentage of the population. The fact that a Google search for 420 brings up pot references is similarly unconvincing. The fact that references exist is no measure of them having widespread acceptance.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#20 Post by Suntory » Sat Apr 21, 2007 1:06 am

Ugh a little late but Happy 420 day everyone!