Unanswerable Questions?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Unanswerable Questions?

#1 Post by GUEST » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:37 pm

What does Charlotte bang her foot on?

Which actor is Bob referring to in his conversation with the waiter?

Who is Charlotte talking about with John right before they run into Kelly?

Why didn't they go together to the strip club?

Why does he phone her from the lobby and not from his room?

Why isn't Kelly's boyfriend listed in the cast credits?

Please reconcile the following statements:
a) Charlotte attended Yale
b) She has been married for 2 years
c) She moved to L.A. after she got married
d) She graduated last Spring
So where did she graduate from?

Have you noticed that sound effect of a rapidly accelerating vehicle? Here are 3 instances in particular that caught my ear:
1) During the opening shot, it's the first thing you hear in the movie
2) When Charlotte is at the mirror, right before Bob starts knocking on her door
3) When they're laying in bed, the point when she turns on her side to face him
Is it a motorcycle? A sports car? A Porsche? Bob's Porsche?

I've seen 3 different photos of Bill singing karaoke but none of Scarlett. Gotta believe that either the set photographer or Sofia must have taken some pictures of her. Have you come across any such pictures?

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#2 Post by jml2 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:21 pm

:lol:
nothing escapes your notice, Guest

jml98
Asleep

#3 Post by jml98 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:33 pm

some interesting questions...

my guess is that charlotte bangs her foot into a chair, one with no backrest. It is hard to see, especially because it's small and something is on top of it, but that would be my guess...as for the people Bob and Charlotte are referring to, well, i don't know! (sorry for the disappointing answer...) I don't know if you can actually know for sure, the best anyone can do is take an educated guess...as for why he phones her from the lobby, he was probably contemplating whether or not it would be appropriate to phone her at all, and you could def. tell that the "reason" he phoned her was just an excuse

these questions, though, are somewhat irrelevent, although they are kinda interesting, but i think the point is that there are just some things that sofia left for the viewer to assume (see a post about this somewhere else...) There are plenty of questions you could ask, like "Where does Charlotte get the pink wig?" But there are irrelevant, they don't matter.

As for the accelerating car sounds, my guess is that Sofia wanted to create an feeling of serenity in the midst of a very busy, modern city. Each time you hear the car, not much is happening in the scene (Charlotte lying peacefully on her bed, getting ready to go out with Bob, the two of them lying the bed, talking) The fact that the sound itself is of an accelerating car is irrelevant too. It's arbitrary; Sofia probably just wanted a sound to create the atmosphere, and i think the car works fine...

As for the pictures, i also noticed that...i wonder where its from, and i wonder how many others there are....

P.S. you seem like a pretty big fan to have noticed these little instances, Guest. Why not join our little community here?

lost in translation
LIT Super Fan

#4 Post by lost in translation » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:01 pm

That comment, "Not everybody went to Yale," doesn't mean that she went there!

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#5 Post by The Shoegazer » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:28 pm

not everything has to have a straight line answer. Those are, as said above, irrelevant things that just are added into the plot.I understand most of the movie and don't pay attention to those things. But yeah, some people watch the movie so many times that those things just come out naturally cause you know almost every line of the movie.
Here we are, Stuck by this river

jml98
Asleep

#6 Post by jml98 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:35 pm

lost in translation wrote:That comment, "Not everybody went to Yale," doesn't mean that she went there!
i think that it's supposed to be implied that she went there, but i guess you could interpret it in another way...

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#7 Post by jm » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:09 am

"[quote:8ddff3c349="jml98"][quote:8ddff3c349="lost in translation"]That comment, "Not everybody went to Yale," doesn't mean that she went there![/quote:8ddff3c349]

i think that it's supposed to be implied that she went there, but i guess you could interpret it in another way...[/quote:8ddff3c349]
No, that's how someone, namely John, would say that not everybody's an egghead."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#8 Post by GUEST » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:17 pm

Here are some reasonable to wildly speculative answers to my questions.

Charlotte bangs her foot on John's camera case.
Bob is referring to Richard Gere.
Charlotte is talking about her screw-up brother.
The Suntory people had taken Bob out to dinner when Charlotte phoned to invite him out to the club. But why does she arrive at the club after him? Wasn't she back at the hotel?
Why does he phone her from the lobby? jml98's answer sounds good to me.
Kelly's boyfriend is Roman Coppola doing an uncredited cameo. I noticed that John's assistant is also missing from the cast credits.
Charlotte graduated from UCLA.
There's some not too subtle connection between that racing engine and Charlotte's backside.
Why no karaoke photos of Scarlett? I'll ask Sofia if I ever run into her.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#9 Post by A moment of silence » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:26 pm

This has go tto be one of the few incredibly inetresting and original posts. GUEST, you belong here.

Well, I believe that Charlotte might have gone to Yale because John sort of tells her in her face so as to make her feel like she is being snotty. "Not everybody went to Yale" to me seems like she did but Kelly did not. That's the point he tried to make.
The rest of those questions are unanswerable and the answers are not needed in order to enjoy the movie. But this post makes you realize how for some reason the movie is mysterious. It is not made for you to know most things, you have got to imply or guess. Just like with the last scene and the whisper and what happened between them...this things are made for your brain to think and find them out. This is why this movie is so different and beautiful. :D
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last