Quotable Quotes

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Ever So Lost
Lost In Jet Lag

Quotable Quotes

#1 Post by Ever So Lost » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:28 pm

Can anyone think of a few lines said by the characters, which just stuck out in your mind?

My favorite one would have to be:
"I'm stuck. Does it get easier?", said by Charlotte, during the infamous bed-scene.

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#2 Post by wiggle » Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:36 pm

Why is the bed scene infamous?

The quote you've just mentioned is probably my favourite too. I particularly like the line Bob whispers to Charlotte at the end...I can hear it if I turn the sound right up...ha ha ha.
Where the hell's the whiskey?

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#3 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:12 pm

"I don't want to leave"
"Then don't. Stay with me and we'll start a jazz band."

something to that effect..

also, i like at the hospital when she asks if the owl is for her and he says, "it can be"
mike

jml98
Asleep

#4 Post by jml98 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 5:00 pm

"lip your stockings?" - Bob

"your're not hopeless" - Bob

"the more you know who you are and what you want, the less you let things upset you" - Bob

"I don't wanna leave"
"so don't, stay here with me. We'll start a jazz band" -Bob and Charlotte

" Call me if you get lost" -- (not actually said, but written by Charlotte)

"[inaudible whisper]" - Bob

some of my favorites
:D

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#5 Post by The Shoegazer » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:53 pm

"You're not hopeless"
and "What kind of a restaurant makes you cook your own food?" both by Bob
Here we are, Stuck by this river

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#6 Post by jml2 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:02 pm

are you awake on the fax

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#7 Post by The Shoegazer » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:05 pm

hey jml! doest the letters J M L stand for something or just picked randomly? there are a few (two I think) jml s on this forum and was just wandering.
Here we are, Stuck by this river

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#8 Post by jml2 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:07 pm

hi shoe, jml are my initials. I think same for jml98 these are his initials too

jml98
Asleep

#9 Post by jml98 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:36 am

yes, JML are my initials...the number is random

on a completely unrelated topic...march madness here!!! its extremely popular around my area for people to do huge pools and fill out their brackets. Last year's first place share got 100 bucks in one pool at school..it wasn't me...my question is for ppl like jml2 and justlikehoney who don't live in the U.S. -- are they as popular outside where you live also?

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#10 Post by Suntory » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:01 am

Huge pools and brackets? Huh?

What is this "they" that you are asking them about?!

jml98
Asleep

#11 Post by jml98 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:59 am

Suntory wrote:Huge pools and brackets? Huh?

What is this "they" that you are asking them about?!
perhaps i should explain..haha

ok so every march college basketball holds a tournament. Only 64 teams out of all the many college teams get in. Some of the most dramatic moments in sports have been in this tournament. So many people like it because of its excitement, because anything really can happen (like there have been huge upsets...you never know for sure who is gonna win) The NCAA sets up the tournament in a bracket system. There are four divisions; teams are seeded 1-16 in each of the four. It's really easier if you just see it for yourself The numbers next to each team are the seeds. If you are a fan of college basketball, you wait the whole year for these couple of weeks.

People, from hardcore fans to just casual followers, get in pools (like at school u give like 10 bucks and ur in a pool) and fill out bracket. They try to predict which team will win each game. The challenge is that any team can win, (ALWAYS expect a lot of upsets; they nickname the tournament "March Madness" because theres always unexpected upsets, and many games go down to the last fraction of a second, last shot, etc.) so filling them out is hard. Points work somethign like this: 1 point for each first round pick that is correct, 2 points for second rounds, 4 for third and etc (it's arbitrary...the points are agreed upon) Some pools have extra points for upsets (for example if a 5 seed loses to a 12 seed, maybe you get 7 points extra because of the difference in the seeds) Keep in mind that if you pick a team to go all the way, and they lose in the second round for example, you're losing a lot of points.

They're really very popular around my area, so much so that people will spend lunch or even SKIP class to watch a game (people will "go to the bathroom" to check scores during class) If you're interested, just print out some brackets from ESPN.com or something (many sites have leagues where you can win money and stuff) All you need is like a 5 or 10 dollar buy in.

If you don't watch basketball at all, it's really ok. In my experience, those that know the least about basketball usually do very well (last year my friend's mom was in our pool; she picked teams that had cooler sound mascots...she won our pool. i'm embarassed)

It's fun!...anyways, my explanation might be confusing, so sorry.

I was asking if this kind of thing was popular in places outside of the U.S....

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#12 Post by jml2 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:20 am

I think there are pools here
it's sports related so I wouldn't know much about it

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#13 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:14 pm

Nothing like that in Canada (down east anyway). It's mostly about how drunk you can get while drinking Molson and watching the playoffs at the local bar. Of course we're all bummed out in the great white north because of the NHL situation this year.. we've pretty much all retreated into our igloos until summer rolls around and the kids start playing street hockey again...

Go Canada!
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#14 Post by Just Like Honey... » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:16 pm

I just realized I said 'the playoffs' without actually specifying that it's the NHL playoffs im referring to.. (we just assume that its hockey up here) I guess that's the Canadian in me coming out.. lol
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

Lochlain
Alone in Kyoto

#15 Post by Lochlain » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:02 pm

back to the topic...
I can't think of anything now...It's usual for me.
So I guess later.

jml98
Asleep

#16 Post by jml98 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:40 pm

...forgot one...

"Let's never come here again, because it would never be as much fun" -- Charlotte

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#17 Post by Just Like Honey... » Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:09 am

jml98 wrote:...forgot one...

"Let's never come here again, because it would never be as much fun" -- Charlotte
I think that's a given :D

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#18 Post by jm » Wed Mar 16, 2005 8:11 am

"Bob, ending a scene with

[b:4a3248e92e]"Thank you!"[/b:4a3248e92e]"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jml98
Asleep

#19 Post by jml98 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:24 pm

haha i can't believe i forgot that one! good call johnmonkey that is one of the funniest moments in the movie...o man :D

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#20 Post by KKDallas » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:13 pm

Some of my favorites:

"I hear there's a helluva buck in that racket" - Bob says to Charlotte when she tells him her major in college was philosophy.

"Which one is burgundy?" Bob asks when the FedEx package of carpet samples spills out on his hotel room foyer.

Kelly: "Everyone thinks I'm anorexic but I just really have a high metabolism"
John: "Oh, I thought you were anorexic".
Kelly: "Thank you!"

Upon seeing Charlotte's black toe, Bob "You just can't put that back in your shoe!" [more dialogue] "Surely someone here likes black toe. Hey, you gotta sharp knife?"

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'll come back and add more! LOL

Kathy