Since i just saw the movie...

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

RyanZ
Tokyo Insomniac

Since i just saw the movie...

#1 Post by RyanZ » Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:29 pm

... I have been going back and reading all of the post on this forum and ya'll have had some great discussions wish I saw it back when it first came out so I could have participated in those discussions. Anyways I wanted to buy the movie today but I didnt have the time hopefully I can get it tomorrow I havn't seen it in 2 days and I'm allready missing it.

Doesnt seem like to many people still post here, maybe we should all watch it again around the same time and discuss how we felt about it once again, dont know just an idea to get things going.

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#2 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:05 pm

There are a still a few of us here. There is a thread in another section on why this board isn't as big as it used to be. The originally maintainer abandoned the board and we had to start again without anyone knowing what was going on. Luckily, I found my way here by chance.

We have simul-views every once in a while, I have yet to participate, but I think this movie is best watched alone.

Either way, stick around.. eventually more and more people will come and hopefully we'll be back in buisness!
mike

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#3 Post by The Shoegazer » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:52 pm

The movie IS better watched alone, late at night, with nothing disturbing you. Simul-view is just a discussion about certain parts of the movie as they appear.I didn't see the movie for over two months, just didn't have time but I am kinda afraid of this punched in the gut feeling. Like someone earlier said, LiT is both a blessing and a curse.
Here we are, Stuck by this river

Not Lost

Some people just don't get it

#4 Post by Not Lost » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:19 am

I was eating at a Japanese restaurant (ironically) recently with my boyfriend and we were sitting at one of the hibachi tables with other couples. We were sitting next to a very nice 50 something couple and spent most of the evening talking with them. They had teenage children and we were mostly talking about how times have changed and the "things" going on today, etc, etc. They were a very respectable couple and appeared to be very knowledgeable and we agreed on almost all of our opinions, morals, ethics, etc. And then the subject of movies came up. They brought up LIT and I was shocked that they didn't like it.
They said it was boring and had no point. I couldn't believe it. After speaking with them for over an hour, I thought for sure that they would have appreciated the movie. I have been on some other sites with reviews and just couldn't believe (second that, I can believe it) that there are a lot of people that just didn't like it. This site is obviously a "fan" site.
All I can assume is that the people who didn't like it, really just didn't understand it. The whole point and the meaning of the movie was what was not said and not explained - thus the title "Lost in Translation". What made the movie special was - the intelligent movie goer and the one that goes to the movies and reads books to see or read something that evokes an emotion within and greater understanding within or makes us think - will feel and think without the director/writer having to spell it out for us. If you go to the movies just to see a happy ending or the same old concept done with different actors or just to laugh and not think - then you won't "get" this movie. If you don't want to think you couldn't possibly catch all the underlying inuendos and "unsaid" moments.
I am sure that Sophia Coppola reads the bad reviews and smiles and says "exactly" - Lost In Translation. She probably gets just as much satisfaction from the people who didn't get it, as the ones who appreciated it - it's her own private joke.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by jm » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:16 pm

(deleted)
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#6 Post by 52FM » Thu May 26, 2005 1:05 pm

Reviving an old thread...

I doubt too many married couples in their 50s would like this movie - or admit they liked it. This is coming from a 50+ year old man.

Think about it - Bob has this emotional connection to a young girl - about the age of the children of people in their 50s. Now they are not likely to come out and say that's why they didn't like it, but it could be a reason.

Sofia in my estimation did a great job in making this situation feel real. And therefore maybe too real to a woman who has a husband Bob's age and who sees a part of herself in Lydia. Or a husband - or wife - with a daughter Charlotte's age and feels uncomfortable about the ambiguous relationship.

I suspect most fans of LiT are younger and enjoy the emotion it portrays without the conflict it might present in theri own life. Anyone older who is struck by it may be like me - realting it to a personal experience.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#7 Post by jm » Thu May 26, 2005 10:33 pm

"[quote:7e883e47e6="52FM"]I suspect most fans of LiT are younger and enjoy the emotion it portrays without the conflict it might present in theri own life. Anyone older who is struck by it may be like me - relating it to a personal experience.[/quote:7e883e47e6]
Relating it to a personal experience doesn't mean you won't like it. I'm not sure how well young people would understand the emotion and conflict. I don't know if there's any way to find out how a love for LIT breaks down demographically."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#8 Post by Suntory » Thu May 26, 2005 11:05 pm

It seems to me that this movie goes across all ages when it comes to liking and/or relating to it.

When I saw it in the theature the first time I would say at least 60% of the
crowd was over 40 or 50. In other screenings I saw people of varying ages.
Often I would see younger women and older men as well. The women were usually with 1 or 2 other women or part of a couple and often the men were by themself (or in a couple). But I saw the movie twice with a different woman of different ages and 3 times by myself!
The younger woman I saw it with, my SO, liked it but wasn't crazy about it like I was. She doesn't understand why I like it the way I do.
(but that's ok with me because I don't expect my SO to like everything
I do or understand everything I do because there are many ways
we are different but many ways we are alike and compatible and share
enough other similer loves and interests!) The older woman (13 years older than me!) I saw it with loved it and related to the
affair aspect because a similer thing happened to her one week at a conference.

For myself I loved it because I related to the travel aspect and the stranger in a strange land aspect having experienced both of those
in depth. In my travels I did meet many girls/women but it never got to
the Charlotte stage or further. (unfortunately! :shock: :twisted: )

The thing is the people who would use the internet and seek out this site are probably
a lot younger than the "older" people who liked it as well.

Also it seems to me that "younger" people (between 16 and 25?!) :?:
who like it and relate to it, whether they have an experience like that
or not, happen to be emotionally more mature than the average person
their age. I was like that too when I was a "younger people"!

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#9 Post by 52FM » Fri May 27, 2005 9:40 am

Yeah - I guess it's tough to really break down the fans by demographics. Interesting point about younger people more likely to express it on the Internet. Gave me another thought (which I'll get to in a bit).

I was surprised a bit by how many young people are or were on this board (based on the "iintroduce yourself" thread. By young I mean 20s or younger.

I'm a mathematician by schooling so bear with me on my attempt to break this down logically. I figure young women woudl relate to Charlotte so I was surprised to see mostly men on this board (at least it seems that way - nto that I've done any survey on it). I honestly can't see younger men relating to Bob's feelings - so it had to be just the raw emotion that they liked. A bit surprising to me (and actually heartening). Or maybe they just see themselves as coming to Charlette's rescue as a more age-appropriate soul-mate.

Older men - definitely. But it would take a very strong relationship for them to admit it to their wives. Just my opinion - in the crowd of people we know, I really can't imagine too many men talking postively about the Bob / Charlotte relationship without it raising flags to the wife that are better left unraised. I could be wrong, and I could just have a group of similar but non-typical friends that age.

For the same reason, I can't see many married older women seeing this without objecting to Bob's actions in some way. Conversation in a bar - OK (maybe). Going out on what to some women would amount to dates - no. Lying in bed together (no matter what did or didn't happen) - absolutely not. Absolutely not. Kissing her - yeah, right.

Just my take. Having said all that, the emotion of the film is spectacular and that is the certainly what gets people hooked on it.

That brings me to my last point. I saw the movie only once (too painful to see again for me - see my other posts - I'm relating it too personally.) On cabel about 5 weeks ago I think. I woke up (again) today thinking of it. Every day for five weeks I figure I spent at least an hour. Probably more - reading forums, posting to forums, reading reviews (dozens and dozens) and interviews. And the script. I've thought and thought and written pages of notes. All trying t deal with my situation, and all becuase of this movie. I figure it adds up to at least 48 hours of time. Two solid days, for God's sake! Three days of waking time. I may be the most obsessive LIT person - but then I read of people seeing it over and over, being in a trance, punched in the stomach, etc. I felt - or feel - the same.

Does that remind you of anyone in a decidedly different movie? How about Richard Dreyfus and all the others touched in Close Encounters?

So now we know -Sofia is an alien! (By the way- it's just a joke. I'm not that crazy.)

And I need to get this out of my head.

#10 Post by Guest » Fri May 27, 2005 2:25 pm

I'm a 50 year old single man...almost married a couple of times in the eighties, but somehow remained single.

I love this movie. I've analyzed it up and down and all I can say is that it makes me happy. All the analysis is just bunk. I think the thing I respond to the strongest is Charlotte's transformation from being morose at the beginning to being ecstatic at the end. It's astonishing to compare the look on her face when Bob walks up behind her and says, "Hey, you" to the moment after he hugs her. She looks like a thunderbolt has just struck her. Plus it helps to see Bob flash a big crud-eating grin as he backs away from her. It's naked portrayal of romantic love is simple and powerful.

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#11 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Sun May 29, 2005 10:00 pm

Relating it to a personal experience doesn't mean you won't like it. I'm not sure how well young people would understand the emotion and conflict. I don't know if there's any way to find out how a love for LIT breaks down demographically.
Well I'll be your first statistic :D

This movie does pull on your emotions from varying ages, I myself being a "youngin" appreciate this movie because I can relate to it. Though not exactly in the way Bob and Charlotte had. Of course I can't relate to Bob simply because I am not married, nor am I a middle-aged man. As someone said, the raw emotion does have quite an effect but that is not quite what gave me the "punch in the gut" feeling.
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#12 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Mon May 30, 2005 9:17 am

52FM wrote:Yeah - I guess it's tough to really break down the fans by demographics. Interesting point about younger people more likely to express it on the Internet. Gave me another thought (which I'll get to in a bit).

I was surprised a bit by how many young people are or were on this board (based on the "iintroduce yourself" thread. By young I mean 20s or younger.

I'm a mathematician by schooling so bear with me on my attempt to break this down logically. I figure young women woudl relate to Charlotte so I was surprised to see mostly men on this board (at least it seems that way - nto that I've done any survey on it). I honestly can't see younger men relating to Bob's feelings - so it had to be just the raw emotion that they liked. A bit surprising to me (and actually heartening). Or maybe they just see themselves as coming to Charlette's rescue as a more age-appropriate soul-mate.

Older men - definitely. But it would take a very strong relationship for them to admit it to their wives. Just my opinion - in the crowd of people we know, I really can't imagine too many men talking postively about the Bob / Charlotte relationship without it raising flags to the wife that are better left unraised. I could be wrong, and I could just have a group of similar but non-typical friends that age.

For the same reason, I can't see many married older women seeing this without objecting to Bob's actions in some way. Conversation in a bar - OK (maybe). Going out on what to some women would amount to dates - no. Lying in bed together (no matter what did or didn't happen) - absolutely not. Absolutely not. Kissing her - yeah, right.

Just my take. Having said all that, the emotion of the film is spectacular and that is the certainly what gets people hooked on it.

That brings me to my last point. I saw the movie only once (too painful to see again for me - see my other posts - I'm relating it too personally.) On cabel about 5 weeks ago I think. I woke up (again) today thinking of it. Every day for five weeks I figure I spent at least an hour. Probably more - reading forums, posting to forums, reading reviews (dozens and dozens) and interviews. And the script. I've thought and thought and written pages of notes. All trying t deal with my situation, and all becuase of this movie. I figure it adds up to at least 48 hours of time. Two solid days, for God's sake! Three days of waking time. I may be the most obsessive LIT person - but then I read of people seeing it over and over, being in a trance, punched in the stomach, etc. I felt - or feel - the same.

Does that remind you of anyone in a decidedly different movie? How about Richard Dreyfus and all the others touched in Close Encounters?

So now we know -Sofia is an alien! (By the way- it's just a joke. I'm not that crazy.)

And I need to get this out of my head.
I'm 18, and I love this movie more than words. However, just because I can't relate to Bob's particular character doesn't mean I can't relate to the feelings he's going through..same with Charlotte.

I don't know why I love this movie, except it's the only movie that's gotten a consistent emotional responce out of me. As I am about to step into the real world, college anyway, it scares me that the ideal life that we all dream of could go a complete other way like it did for these characters.

It's reasurring to know that however lost we may become, we aren't alone.
mike

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#13 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Mon May 30, 2005 3:53 pm

I'm 18, and I love this movie more than words. However, just because I can't relate to Bob's particular character doesn't mean I can't relate to the feelings he's going through..same with Charlotte.

I don't know why I love this movie, except it's the only movie that's gotten a consistent emotional responce out of me. As I am about to step into the real world, college anyway, it scares me that the ideal life that we all dream of could go a complete other way like it did for these characters.

It's reasurring to know that however lost we may become, we aren't alone.

Well said!, my being the same age no precisely what you mean :D
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#14 Post by The Shoegazer » Mon May 30, 2005 10:49 pm

It's reasurring to know that however lost we may become, we aren't alone.[/quote]

Well said. I feel the same way even though I am 2 years younger but there is more and more responsibilities thrown my way and watching this movie is like being in a dreamland that seems very real.