DVD quality

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

jml2
WooHoo Guy

DVD quality

#1 Post by jml2 » Tue May 11, 2004 4:40 am

I just got my DVD of LIT here in Australia. I'm not sure about the quality. Some scenes seem darker than I recall they were in the cinema, and it also seems cropped.(my copy is 1.85:1)
What do others think?

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#2 Post by jeffyen » Tue May 11, 2004 5:20 am

Well, the outdoor scenes look all right, I guess. The dvd software I use has a 'bright' setting to make things brighter. According to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335266/technical

the DVD version seems to be even 'wider'?

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#3 Post by Suntory » Tue May 11, 2004 11:23 pm

I don't have the DVD (shocking I know!!!) but I do recall discussion elsewhere about how the film was badly framed in many theatures leaving boom mikes showing everywhere etc. In my area that was not the case, I never saw any boom mikes. So what they were saying is that theatures get a cut that is meant to be cropped by the dark area around the screen. However it would be cropped correctly when placed in DVD. Also I recall that there were a number of scenes that were dark where I saw it. I think it's just the kind of lighting and film they used. Actually from what I read there wasn't a lot of extra lighting.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

You can't please everyone

#4 Post by jm » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:33 pm

"Lost In Translation (15)

So finally, here it is. The most overrated film of 2003 is available to buy on DVD. Not that Coppola’s film is bad, exactly. It has an adequately engaging script, is competently directed, and its two leads give well judged, believable performances. Yet the fact that this became the “must-see” movie of late last year is more an indicator of the poverty of the competition.

This is a small-scale independent project that struck it rich. Just how small becomes clear on viewing the “making of” documentary on the DVD extras. Most of the Tokyo street scenes were shot commando-style, with a handheld camera, since seeking permission from the relevant authorities would have been a bureaucratic nightmare. This, at least, explains why this extraordinarily diverse city is so underused in the film.

What it doesn’t excuse is the film’s reliance on the perceived oddness of Japanese customs and language for humour. We are encouraged to believe that bowing to greet people is comical, while the scene in which Murray’s jaded superstar does his Suntory whisky shtick relies on the notion that foreign languages sound funny. A deeper problem is that once you reject these “funny” interludes, the script has precious little else to cling on to, as it plods along to its entirely predictable conclusion.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0, ... 74,00.html"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

#5 Post by Suntory » Sat Jun 26, 2004 11:36 pm

Can you see Sofia in a darkened room bemoaning how none of them sees her genius?! They just cant appreciate art and innovation when they see it?!

Ive heard most movie critics are just completely jaded and cynical and hate everything they see. I would hate to be a movie critic! But then again, everyone's a critic!!! :)

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#6 Post by jeffyen » Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:46 pm

Suntory wrote:Can you see Sofia in a darkened room bemoaning how none of them sees her genius?! They just cant appreciate art and innovation when they see it?!

Ive heard most movie critics are just completely jaded and cynical and hate everything they see. I would hate to be a movie critic! But then again, everyone's a critic!!! :)
Actually the opposite seems to be true. Sophia said she was surprised at how much people seemed to enjoy her movie. I had a similar feeling also; I don't think she knows what she's done...LOL

It's surprising that the Orkut community has almost 1000 Lit fans (what, for a boring movie?!)... If you want an orkut invite, shout...

#7 Post by Guest » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:34 pm

jeffyen wrote:It's surprising that the Orkut community has almost 1000 Lit fans (what, for a boring movie?!)... If you want an orkut invite, shout...
Hey what if you give a shout out to the Orkut community about this forum and then we'd see more members and discussion!!!
thanks!

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#8 Post by jm » Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:54 pm

"[quote:ed0c31b0ab="jeffyen"]It's surprising that the Orkut community has almost 1000 Lit fans (what, for a boring movie?!)... If you want an orkut invite, shout...[/quote:ed0c31b0ab]

Consider this a shout. :wink:"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#9 Post by jeffyen » Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:30 pm

John, please type out your email address...with antispamdecoylettersscatteredwithinit lol