Lost in Translation, the sequel

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Autumn Child
Philosopher

#21 Post by Autumn Child » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:06 am

if that did happen for a sequel, how do you think bob and charlotte might have changed? it might actually be interesting to see how they've moved on or found a direction in life :D

find me at www.talkrpg.tk

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#22 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Wed Aug 10, 2005 11:42 pm

There is going to be no sequel...seriously, think about that. Sophia isn't stupid, she wouldn't dare destroy LIT with a sequel.
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

jml98
Asleep

#23 Post by jml98 » Sun Sep 04, 2005 11:37 pm

a sequel would be undermining the spirit of the movie and would be a horrendous mistake

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#24 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:43 am

shame on you Wiggle for ever posting this thread! :lol:
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

thehardestwalk
Traveler

#25 Post by thehardestwalk » Thu Sep 08, 2005 1:09 pm

"Let's never come here again, because it would never be as much fun."

I think the lady has a point...
So where are the strong, and who are the trusted?..

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#26 Post by A moment of silence » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:07 pm

"The Hardest Walk" is right. I believe that Charlotte said that and Bob called her "Boss" for a reason. they would not dare to go back, unless they go crazy because their lives still don't get better, which by the way it's not what the ending tells us. So, a second part to this movie might need to work itself thorugh another point, not Tokyo...just something else. Oh, and I trust Sophia so I think if she plans another sequel it would be as good as this.

Peace :twisted:
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

Pitman
Suntory Time

#27 Post by Pitman » Thu May 25, 2006 7:46 am

At this point I can't imagine any other movie ever taking over the number 1 spot as my all around favourite movie.

I know most LiT fans would disagree because it would taint the first movie, but I wish there was a second film as good as the first. Perhaps the sequel wouldn't be necesarrily a continuation of the first film but rather a documenting of Bob and Charlotte's lives up until the time they meet and also filling in some of the stuff we didn't see during their stay in Tokyo. I just want to see more of them.

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#28 Post by burgundy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:11 pm

I would love to see a sequel. Of course, it couldn't be cheesy or bad or disappointing.

But why would it? Sofia would be directing -- she's got it going on. The one problem is that the Sunrise/Sunset has sort of already done it, so that would make it harder for a creative and original artist like Sofia to justify it.

I agree with many other forum members that there would be a risk of spoiling what has been done. The thing is it could be done tastefully. And you have to think it would reflect our times quite well. Look at what the internet has done to change our perceptions of our youth? Nostalgia is an industry now. It's so much easier to find people through google or all those high school 'where are they now?' ads.

What would be wrong about doing a sequel ten years after? Maybe something has gone wrong in the lives of either Charlotte or Bob. I doubt that Charlotte's marriage would last anyway. She would be looking for Bob as soon as as it became clear to her that John and his hair products would insufferable. It still wouldn't necessarily have to a be a full-blown romance either. That might venture into cheesy territory. I'm OK with it staying platonic since that was one the messages of the movie.

As Pitman says, you want to see more of these people down the line. They have a great way of relating with each other. And perhaps the best way to do the sequel is for one of them to seek out the other, they get together someplace else (definitely not Toyko again) only to realize that you can't go back. That too would be in keeping with the original spirit of the film.

Depending on how Sofia's career goes, I think this sequel is possibility.
With intensity.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#29 Post by Pitman » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:07 pm

I loved the Sunrise/Sunset films....awesome stuff. I doubt there will ever be a sequel to LiT, but if one is going to happen, it better happen soon...because Bill is not getting any younger!!

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#30 Post by burgundy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:26 pm

Maybe and old Bill would be part of the story. If the guy is pushing 65 then he can really play the wise old man to Charlotte's pain. All platonic. The dramatic possibilities are endless.
With intensity.

tsooml
Inactive/Deleted user

#31 Post by tsooml » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:41 pm

I'd like to see them twelve years later, both their stories, and they almost run into each other again a few times -- but never actually do.