LIT: One last viewing

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

LIT: One last viewing

#1 Post by Guest » Fri Apr 08, 2005 11:37 pm

It's been a year since I last saw LIT. It was disappearing quickly from the theatres, already pulled from any nearby cinemas. I sought out guidance from the IMDB oracle, it revealed to me that there was a city to the south where I would find what I was searching for. If I remember correctly only one theatre in the state was still showing it, in San Diego. Who knew if I'd ever get the chance to see it again on the big screen; I decided to take that hour and a half drive on a Sunday afternoon.

I guess it was fitting: the last time I watched it I was alone in the theatre. It was like having my own screening room. I felt like Howard Hughes (without the bottles of urine). But I did see something new in the movie. This screen was enormous and the room not very deep, so even sitting in the last row I was very close to the projected images. During the phone call scene with Lauren for the first time I noticed the tears running down Charlotte's cheek. Before I always wondered why she kept wiping under her eyes. Was it worth a three hour round-trip to see those tears?

The next week it was gone...GONE!! I couldn't believe it. More than 6 months: that's how long it had surived in the theatres. I had almost convinced myself that it would always be playing somewhere. I checked IMDB again: about a half dozen cinemas across the country were still screening it--2 of them in Arizona.

I came up with a brilliant plan. The following Sunday morning I'd fly to Phoenix, watch it once or twice, then fly home Sunday evening. Was I crazy?
Well, people go to Vegas for the weekend and blow tons of money. Spending a couple of hundred dollars to go see a movie is no more outrageous. But I decided against it. My LIT obsession was getting out of control, it was time to let it go: bye...bye...bye.

Now I wait patiently for one of the revival houses, or college film clubs to screen it again. But if it's ever shown at a theatre near you, let me know...I'll check the flight schedules.

jml98
Asleep

#2 Post by jml98 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 3:01 am

you could buy the DVD or look for it on StarZ!...i understand its not the same as the movie..but at least u get to watch it again

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#3 Post by jml2 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:49 am

:) great post

RyanZ
Tokyo Insomniac

#4 Post by RyanZ » Sat Apr 09, 2005 12:46 pm

I never saw it in the theatres, kinda makes me want to find out where it is showing and go check it out.

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#5 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:32 am

i wish i would have been able to see it on the big screen, too :?
mike

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#6 Post by wiggle » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:03 am

Same here. If the film was released now and it was showing at the cinema, I would've definately gone and seen it. It's just because when it was released I wasn't as big a film fan as I am now. I yearn to see it in a theatre now.
Where the hell's the whiskey?

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#7 Post by preciouswhile » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:33 pm

I went and saw it in the theather on a whim, with very little foreknowledge (never even saw a trailer for it).

One of the best whims I ever had.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#8 Post by jm » Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:41 am

I saw it in the theater something like thirteen times.
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silk
Tokyo Denizen

#9 Post by Silk » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:07 am

johnmonkey wrote:I saw it in the theater something like thirteen times.
Whoah! Good job... I saw it twice, the second time I joined some mates who got to see it for free because of a film-course they were taking. First time I saw it was on the premiere day and I was... breathless. I held my breath in every scene where Bob and Charlotte interacted (funny I'm not dead yet) and I almost felt... reborn? Last time I watched it was a couple of months ago when I was feeling low.

Gotta see it again this week.

#10 Post by Guest » Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:06 pm

Silk, is it out on DVD yet in Sweden? If so, what dvd extras do you have?

Lochlain
Alone in Kyoto

#11 Post by Lochlain » Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:20 am

damn... alone in the theater you say... that's a dream came true...
good luck!!!

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#12 Post by The Shoegazer » Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:41 pm

Thats really nice. Maybe they'll release LiT several years from now like they did E.T. or something. That will be the day!
Here we are, Stuck by this river

Silk
Tokyo Denizen

#13 Post by Silk » Thu Apr 14, 2005 4:43 am

Anonymous wrote:Silk, is it out on DVD yet in Sweden? If so, what dvd extras do you have?
The DVDextras are...

* Trailer
* Short film "Lost on location"
* Matthew's best hits
* Deleted scenes
* Musicvideo: Kevin Shields "City Girl"
* Conversation between Bill Murray and Sofia Coppola

It hits me that I haven't watched them all!

RyanZ
Tokyo Insomniac

#14 Post by RyanZ » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:23 am

I sometimes end up watching all the extra's. After I recover from some my tears from the last scene and Just like Honey playing, I always like to see Sofia, Ross Katz and the other crew put together the movie. Best line in the "lost on location" is when Sofia says "He thought me and Spike were twins" cracks me up everytime she says that has she walks by the camera.

LITobsession
Park Hyatt Regular

#15 Post by LITobsession » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:14 pm

We should all get together and rent out a theater for a night and get our hands on a copy of the LIT film reel. Then we can all watch LIT one last time in theaters.
I'm still lost...

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#16 Post by jml2 » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:10 pm

LITobsession wrote:We should all get together and rent out a theater for a night and get our hands on a copy of the LIT film reel. Then we can all watch LIT one last time in theaters.
that would be great :)
if we weren't all scattered across the map

LITobsession
Park Hyatt Regular

#17 Post by LITobsession » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:09 pm

Damn, I'll just have to wait until I become a millionare then. Well I'll be sure to post on this board when I do own my own line of theaters. :D
I'm still lost...

#18 Post by Guest » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:27 am

LITobsession wrote:We should all get together and rent out a theater for a night and get our hands on a copy of the LIT film reel. Then we can all watch LIT one last time in theaters.
Somewhere there should be a theater that shows it at the midnight movies a couple times a month!

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#19 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Fri May 20, 2005 1:02 am

Yes, this movie gave me a feeling I will never experience again, no movie has ever done this, and I don't think the feeling will ever return ...sigh...but I have the DVD so I am not complaining :D -- I also concur! That would be an interesting experience to meet LIT enthusiasts such as myself in a theater viewing LIT; knowing we all have the same appreciation for Sophia's masterpiece. :)
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#20 Post by hull_street » Fri May 20, 2005 6:48 am

Too bad we're all spread-out across the globe. It would be great to just hang out with you all in person, drink some sake and watch LiT. Maybe we could plan to fly to a central location, rent a copy of the LiT 35mm and a theater for a night, then have an after-party at the local Hyatt ?