Films like LIT? Are there any?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#41 Post by LostCalls » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:48 am

Yes, Cafe Lumiere is very beautiful, but it's also extremely hushed. I think LiT does a lot more with its silences, but the comparison isn't exactly fair, as I feel the two films are aiming for different effects.

But I do feel that CL does for the Akihabara area what LiT does for Shinjuku.

Also, as CL is a tribute to Yasujiro Ozu, I'm wondering if anyone has any specific recommendations of Ozu films that deserve a look.

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#42 Post by TokyoGirl » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:22 pm

Oh I agree, the mood in both films isn't the same.. I just thought that people who like LiT would enjoy CL. Mainly for the Japan scenery element and it's feeling. I'm yet to find a film that rivals LiT in any way!
She's got the moves to rule the world...

Ash27
Lost In Jet Lag

#43 Post by Ash27 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:54 pm

Yep Cafe Lumiere was good loved the slow pace. Tokyo girl i'd recommend a film pitman has recommended on this page 'Last Life In The Universe' it has the same japanese bloke in it thats in CL, can't remember his name. Also again i'd recommend 'Chunking Express' i'm always recommending it! It has that meeting strangers anything can happen lonely feel. I note about CL it has the worst sub titles i've ever seen. White sub titles on a very white film doesn't work. Took me a long time to watch cause me constant pausing. Thank god there's not much talking in it!

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#44 Post by preciouswhile » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:41 pm

Watched this last night, was able to track down a copy.

I don't know if there are Studio Ghibli fans around here but Cafe Lumiere really reminded me of Whisper of the Heart, in that it's very slow paced and focuses more on the characters and surroundings, whereas the plot is simple and secondary. There was also another Studio Ghibli film that had a very similar feel but I can't remember the name.

But upon further reading I guess Cafe Lumiere is supposed to be a very strong homage to Tokyo Story by Ozu. So now I really want to watch that to see the source of his inspiration, and probably for the Ghibli films as well.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#45 Post by samwright8380 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:42 pm

i've not seen cafe lumiere but I have to admit i'm quite taken by studio ghibli films and the work behind them. a couple of years ago i actually took a trip to the ghibli museum, a tiny little place in a leafy suburb. you have to buy your ticket in advance and they only let a set number of people in each day. inside its a tad small, but really quite like stepping into the world of one of the films. most impressive of all was a room set out like the animators study, complete with photo albumns filled with pictures the man himself had taken on trips a way for inspiration. a highly interesting afternoon.

Anyway, i digress. Did anybody else rate Tokyo Sonata here?

Ash27
Lost In Jet Lag

#46 Post by Ash27 » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:00 pm

I bought Tokyo sonata couple of months back. liked it it's sort of like a piece of art. Has 1 quite shocking scene in it. I've just bought a film called July Rhapsady yet to see it but sounds good. A good source of movies is a web site called loveHKfilms.

Ash27
Lost In Jet Lag

#47 Post by Ash27 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:32 am

After now seeing July Rhapady i would recommend it. Has a good feel to it, not the same LIT feel but still good. Think it may appeal to 30 something more than maybe younger people. Quite hard to get hold off it's from Hong Kong.

Lost in Boston
Awake

#48 Post by Lost in Boston » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:59 pm

For me, the film which comes close to Lost in Translation is LA Story

nathan
Sleepless in Tokyo

#49 Post by nathan » Mon May 17, 2010 11:13 pm

everything i wanted to mention (wong kar wai films, last life in the universe) has already been brought up. to reach a little bit, i would say that jim jarmusch's the limit's of control evoked a hypnotic, dreamy state of mind similar to how lost in translation has always made me feel. it also has a great dream-pop soundtrack.

Kayin Kincaide
Wide Awake

#50 Post by Kayin Kincaide » Tue May 18, 2010 6:02 am

There are these two movies...which i would consider in the ball park. For me they are must see.

I can watch them repeatedly.

Even if you walk and walk
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087578/

and

Adrift in Tokyo
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1098226/

hope you all give them a watch, and enjoy them.

jeffyen
Lounge Singer

#51 Post by jeffyen » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:57 am

I would like to suggest Shunji Iwai's Love Letter ... my 2nd favourite film.... first being LiT ;p

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113703/

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#52 Post by TokyoGirl » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:53 pm

I just watched Tokyo Sonata, I really enjoyed it.

Also, it's not really anything like LiT but has anyone else watched Departures (おくりびと)? I really enjoyed it, I remember seeing it all over the place when I was in Japan last year but I only got around to watching it a few weeks ago.. definitely recommended.

Rebecca
Tourist

#53 Post by Rebecca » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:11 pm

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this film.
There's a movie out called "Lying", starring Chloë Sevigny.
Great soundtrack <3. It's not as good as LIT,
BUT , in my opinion, it is the only movie I've seen or heard of that comes even close.

I urge everyone check this out!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTLkjK4XW_c

Herci
Traveler

#54 Post by Herci » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:07 am

Saw one lately Code 46.
An older movie with Tim Robbins...sorta had a LIT feeling about it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0KVJZqpzHA
Also about a love that is not really allowed, bit futuristic estranged feeling...
Liked it a lot. By michael winterbottom.
Must say the trailer is not so good...too much going on, the pace of the movie is slower. Trailer looks a bit trashy...totally unlike the movie.

PAUL_UK
Traveler

#55 Post by PAUL_UK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:23 pm

Before sunrise is worth a watch. A film about two people that meet on a train and spend the night walking the streets of a small European city. It has a sequel I hear, but Im not sure if I want to see it..

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#56 Post by TokyoGirl » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:20 am

PAUL_UK wrote:Before sunrise is worth a watch. A film about two people that meet on a train and spend the night walking the streets of a small European city. It has a sequel I hear, but Im not sure if I want to see it..
I just watched them both last night :) I've seem them quite a few times now but I don't get bored of them (like LiT). Anyway, I'd definitely recommend watching Before Sunset too... it's nothing like you'd expect in sequel, it doesn't detract anything from the original, it's just a continuation really.

eco10530
Tourist

#57 Post by eco10530 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:35 pm

PAUL_UK wrote:Before sunrise is worth a watch. A film about two people that meet on a train and spend the night walking the streets of a small European city. It has a sequel I hear, but Im not sure if I want to see it..

Before Sunrise was one of my favs but that was replaced with LIT!

Clint
Traveler

#58 Post by Clint » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:19 am

Admittedly, it's not really a 'like' film but the brilliant Cinema Paradiso (1988) gives me a lump in my throat everytime I watch it - especially the final third of the film.

The Director's Cut was released a decade or so ago and answers some questions which were left to the viewer in the original release. I was really emotional after seeing this version of the film.

Has anyone here seen any of the versions of Cinema Paradiso? I highly recommend it.
I'm so into you...

Pitman
Suntory Time

2011 movie with LiT-like appeal.

#59 Post by Pitman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Hey guys!

I just watched a movie that has certain essentially similarities with LiT. On a whim I downloaded it after surfing onto it in IMDB. I had no idea the movie would be as powerful as it is. This, to me is what a film is all about.

I would not be surprised at all if the director was a huge fan of Sophia and LiT! The similarities cannot be mistaken. However, it does stand as its own movie.

The name of the movis is "The Art of Getting By" 2011 by Gavin Wiesen

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1645080/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Please check it out. The soundtrack, the acting, the core message are so evocative. This is from a new director. I hope he has many more to come!

If you do watch it, or have watched it, please let us know what you think. There are also unmistakable camera shots which evoke LiT.

SuperDuper
Lost In Tokyo

Before Midnight

#60 Post by SuperDuper » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:48 pm

I know there are probably some fans of the Before Sunrise / Before Sunset series here. But it was announced a few weeks ago that a third film, "Before Midnight" is coming out. It will be premiering in Sundance 2013.

http://www.sundance.org/festival/releas ... entary-pr/