Someone please explain this to me

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Someone please explain this to me

#1 Post by Guest » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:52 am

The day after Bob and Charlotte lie in bed talking, Charlotte goes to Kyoto. I have a hard time putting together what happens that day. We see Bob shaving. He gets a call notifying him of a fax. For some reason, he slips past Ms. Kawasaki. Then, when he is outside, he calls her to let her know he will do the talk show. As he talks to Ms. Kawasaki, he is looking at a message from Charlotte telling him to call her if he is free. Then Bob does the show, has a depressing phone conversation with his wife while he takes a bath, goes back to his room to watch the talk show, and then gets picked up by the singer in the bar.

We don't see Charlotte again until she comes by Bob's room the next morning. Did she spend the day and night in Kyoto? If so, why did she send him a message to call her? And why, after the two previous great days they spent together, did they spend this whole day apart. There doesn't seem to be any logical flow to the way this particular day is presented.

adl618
Lost In Jet Lag

#2 Post by adl618 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:57 am

OK, I haven't seen the movie again for a while (I have the DVD and want to watch it, but too busy with work). From what I can recall, this is when we really realize Bob wants to stay longer in Japan, and especially Charlotte (before he couldn't wait to leave). So he takes up that TV job, so he can spend longer in Japan.
As for the day of Charlotte, I think she went to Kyoto to find something of meaning, of culture. She is feeling very lost in her life, and doing things like going to temples etc. in a philisophical way. And I know Japan well because I have lived there and my wife is Japanese. From Tokyo to Kyoto is at least a 3 hour journey each way, so it makes sense she would get back late and night, and maybe not see Bob until the morning.

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#3 Post by jml2 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:57 pm

the implication may be that he called her but it we don't see it