Play It Again Sam...er um...I mean Charlotte!!!

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#101 Post by You Make it Easy » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:46 pm

Posting again because I am currently watching LIT just at the end of year. I love this movie so much.
Waiting to be found...

SunsetOdds
Wide Awake

#102 Post by SunsetOdds » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:41 pm

Watched it this evening ( UK GMT) I watched the blu ray and turned the brightness and contrast right down to see how much detail i could achieve. Some scenes previously ignored became enormously beautiful and hypnotic.

I've only watched this film twice this year... and it's not nearly enough!

Emma
Stocking Lipper

#103 Post by Emma » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:09 pm

The last time I watched Lost in Translation was at the Getty Center in Los Angeles. It played in the theater in conjunction with a photography exhibit focused on Tokyo. It was only my second time seeing it on a "big screen," so my anticipation was high. Not surprisingly, anticipation was met with absolute awe. It was magical.

While I am hesitant about watching it with others, I did invite my Best Friend along. Out of everybody I know, he is the only one who appreciates Sofia's work as much as I do. (Most are too impatient with the film's gentle pace and ambiguity.) We both enjoyed the film very much. (I may or may not have mirrored Charlotte's head falling to Bob's shoulder as it happened onscreen.) It was a wonderful day. :)

SunsetOdds
Wide Awake

#104 Post by SunsetOdds » Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:42 am

That sounds amazing! What I would give to see it on the big screen, sadly when it came out I wasn't open enough to new film :( . But if it shows in the UK on the big screen, Im there.

Shavedice210
Tourist

#105 Post by Shavedice210 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:26 am

The first time i saw this movie was in 2007. I was going through a tough time and my best friend invited me to his house to watch it on DVD. The only thing i can vividly remember was smiling for the first time in a while back then. I seemed to have forgotten about LiT until catching the last 20 minutes on a prime channel. Something about the scene when Bob and Charlotte are in the bar after the fire alarm and Mark Willms is playing So Into You.

Tried to find the movie version of that song online and that's when i stumbled upon a thread on this forum. Just re-watched LiT after hearing the ultimate soundtrack that Fox compiled. I like watching at night when it is most quiet. It allows me to absorb it all in.

Kaspar
Tourist

#106 Post by Kaspar » Sun May 31, 2015 8:31 am

I saw LiT when it first came out, but as I was very young then, its themes and tone did not resonate with me at all. I do remember enjoying the scene where Bob's stuck on the elliptical.

During the last years of high school, however, it clicked in a big way for me. And I kept coming back to it over years when I was in university. The scene with Charlotte staring at the ceiling, telling Bob that she's "stuck"... I think every 20-something can empathize with that.

I'm finally graduating in a few weeks, can't think of a more fitting time to watch this yet again. :)

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#107 Post by samwright8380 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:16 am

I'm glad it's grown on you, I think it is a film that has an appeal at different stages of your life.

Suntory
For Relaxing Times Make It Suntory Time!

Re: Play It Again Sam...er um...I mean Charlotte!!!

#108 Post by Suntory » Mon May 30, 2016 2:17 am

I watched it again after not for maybe a year or two. I didn't have time to watch it all at once so I watched it
in 15 to 20 min snippets at night. Each day I looked forward to which part I was going to be seeing at night.
The film is really a great journey in a short time and still a great journey to go on with them!

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#109 Post by You Make it Easy » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Middle of the night for me basically, watching again to feel that feeling.
Waiting to be found...

onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

#110 Post by onesmokin3g » Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:51 am

Just finished watching it yet again, and not much has changed for me since my first post in this forum 11 years ago (back on page 3) :shock: . Wow. It’s nice to know this place is still up and running; thanks Bob San! 15 years in, and I hope more and more people begin to view this movie as a timeless classic (as most of us recognized years ago, if not immediately...myself excluded from the latter bunch actually). Either way, thanks for the masterpiece Sofia.
-Chris

Currently lost in MN
No longer lost in CO
No longer lost in CA
Originally lost in PA

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#111 Post by samwright8380 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:54 pm

I think maybe it's been a couple of years now since I've watched this film. It's a reminder of a different time in my life when I travelled to new places, often by myself for the adventure. I'm sure when I watch it again it'll bring memories back. I never got to watch this in the cinema - I was at the cinema with a friend but 21 grams was showing instead. I think I'd like to see it on the big screen at least once, but I'll have to look out for screenings for some time.

redleader74
LIT Super Fan

#112 Post by redleader74 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 pm

....who's going to Tokyo this year???
私は ”ロスト・イン・トランスレーション” です。

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#113 Post by TokyoGirl » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:16 am

redleader74 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:55 pm
I wish! Maybe next year :D

Just watched on the plane back from the US.
She's got the moves to rule the world...

Emma
Stocking Lipper

#114 Post by Emma » Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:40 pm

redleader74 wrote:
Not this year, but a dear friend and I have talked about visiting in 2023 ... For me, the twentieth anniversary of Lost in Translation! For him, finally visiting Tokyo Disneyland and Universal Studios Japan! (Okay, that's for me, too! :wink: )

If anybody out there visits this year (or next!), please share your experiences and adventures with us!

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#115 Post by samwright8380 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:19 pm

Emma wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 9:40 pm
redleader74 wrote:
Not this year, but a dear friend and I have talked about visiting in 2023 ... For me, the twentieth anniversary of Lost in Translation! For him, finally visiting Tokyo Disneyland and Universal Studios Japan! (Okay, that's for me, too! :wink: )

If anybody out there visits this year (or next!), please share your experiences and adventures with us!
That sounds great! Time really does go fast, with you mentioning that it will be the 20th anniversary of the film. It would be nice to see some sort of re-release or retrospective from Sofia - who knows!

redleader74
LIT Super Fan

#116 Post by redleader74 » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:46 pm

...I have another thread on here some where about how my wife and I had a baby last year and thus throwing a wrench into many travels. However, we plan to go next year (2020)! It's a long shot but I'm preparing for it anyway. We like to travel in the fall as it is best weather in most parts of the world. By then our daughter will be 2. If it does happen you can be sure I'll be sharing it all here with my fellow LIT fans!

SunsetOdds
Wide Awake

#117 Post by SunsetOdds » Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:02 pm

Well, crikey I've logged this film on Letterboxd (great film website by the way) only 7 times but got to be getting closer to thirty or forty watches in reality. Hope all lit fans are doing well in Virus quarantine. Watched it with a close friend and she really enjoyed it. Roll on 20th anniversary of the films release!

redleader74
LIT Super Fan

#118 Post by redleader74 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:47 am

SunsetOdds wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:02 pm
Well, crikey I've logged this film on Letterboxd (great film website by the way) only 7 times but got to be getting closer to thirty or forty watches in reality. Hope all lit fans are doing well in Virus quarantine. Watched it with a close friend and she really enjoyed it. Roll on 20th anniversary of the films release!
Hmmm....thanks for the reminder. Actually the escapist themes and feel of this film make it the perfect match for the sheltering place.

Great, great, GREAT screen name by the way! Ha ha ha ha!!

Emma
Stocking Lipper

#119 Post by Emma » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:25 pm

redleader74 wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 1:47 am
SunsetOdds wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:02 pm
Hmmm....thanks for the reminder. Actually the escapist themes and feel of this film make it the perfect match for the sheltering place.

Great, great, GREAT screen name by the way! Ha ha ha ha!!
I agree! The soundtracks to Sofia Coppola's Lost in Translation and The Virgin Suicides feel deeply appropriate for this time we're living in!

And speaking of The Virgin Suicides, apparently a twentieth anniversary (virtual) reunion happened to celebrate the film ... I hope we are so lucky for Lost in Translation!

Luigi
Lost In Tokyo

#120 Post by Luigi » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:26 am

Hello, folks. Oldtimer here. How's it going?

So I watched LiT again yesterday after many, many years. I stumbled upon it on Netflix and thought to myself, why not? Let's go. It was a great experience all over again, like it was 2003/2004. What an amazing film.