Play It Again Sam...er um...I mean Charlotte!!!

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#41 Post by Bren » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:24 am

Pitman wrote:Ahh, but what's a story without a little plot conflict? I think it serves to test their relationship. Without this situation with Sausolito, there wouldn't have been the wonderful scene in the New York bar as they spent their last night together. And I think this also serves to add a little umph to the last scene knowing there had been this conflict. It was interesting to see how Charlotte was jealous about Bob's one-night fling.
Aye, I see your point, and agree. The one night stand did add nicely to the plot.

Also, what if things had turned out differentely, and Charlotte had been at the bar? Personally, looking at it now, I don't think it would have worked because it would probably have exhausted the use of the bar as a scene. :lol: And, if Bob had slept with Charlotte that night, I think things would not have turned out as nice in the end, because the relationship would have become less special.
"Everyone wants to be found."

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#42 Post by Tombo » Sat May 12, 2007 7:23 pm

I've only actually watched it maybe 3 or 4 times (max) since it was released at the cinema.

Reason? I'm scared to death that it'll lose it's emotional impact and/or I'll get sick of it! :?

Lookin' forward to the simul-view around October time,though. :D

Tom xx

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#43 Post by Bren » Sun May 13, 2007 6:09 am

I've watched it about 7 or 8 times in the month since I first saw in on TV (then bought the DVD a week or two later), and I haven't become sick of it thanfully. :lol: I was shattered the last time I watched it though, which didn't help, but I don't like to stop watching it once it's started, so I carried on watching. :lol:

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#44 Post by Tombo » Sat Jun 23, 2007 6:19 pm

Just completed viewing number 7. It never fails to lift me. What a great film.

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#45 Post by Bren » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:59 am

I find myself watching it less these days, because I really do have to be in the exact mood for it, otherwise it doesn't have the same feeling to it. When I am in the right mood though, it brings back all the feelings from the first viewing... :D *sighs* ha!

jml98
Asleep

#46 Post by jml98 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:04 am

I just watched it for the first time in at over a year and my god, does it still hit you.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#47 Post by Bob_san » Sun Dec 02, 2007 4:50 am

I had a craving and just finished watching it again. Its almost 2am. . .

SuperDuper
Lost In Tokyo

#48 Post by SuperDuper » Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:44 pm

Bob_san wrote:I had a craving and just finished watching it again. Its almost 2am. . .
Funny Bob_san, I watched it Sunday at around 12:20am too and finished around 2:00am also.

Pitman
Suntory Time

#49 Post by Pitman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:19 pm

I just love those late night viewings. In my opinion, the movie is best watched alone and late at night.

I'm due for another watch soon!! Definitely before Christmas.

CAKE
Tourist

#50 Post by CAKE » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:17 pm

Sairen wrote:I haven't watched the movie for over a year now... I just cannot harm myself!? Don't get me wrong! I really think it is the best movie, the best story, the best thing ever made. It just makes me feel so sad and somehow depressed! I really do not dare to watch it again. Unfortunately some friends want me to watch it with them but this is kind of impossible! If I watch it, I'm gonna watch it alone. What do you guys think? :cry:
Sairen i completely agree, i find it very difficult to watch this film now even though i want to. Strange lol. And yes, definitely watch it alone x

onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

#51 Post by onesmokin3g » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:36 am

the first time i watched it years ago, i hate to say, i wasn't the biggest fan. i was unhappy with the ending, and felt as though i was just thrown into the the lives of these two characters. no real begining, no real end....then i happened acrossed the movie again on tv some months ago, and have helplessly fell in love with it. im not sure why, perhaps its resonated differently at this point in my life then it did years ago. all i know is since then, ive purchased the dvd and have watched it dozens of times since, and have yet to get tired watching. i get something new everytime. i find the ending happy now, with charlotte's quick smirk before she dissapears off screen, and bob looks happier than ever. the soundtrack is comforting and haunting at the same time. i enjoy days when i know i have nothing to do, put the movie in and watch it several times as i lazily nap throughout it...waking up from time to time, smiling at whats on screen before i doze off again to dream about tokyo and charlotte.....im overdue for another viewing....

Ithildriel
Ikebana Fan

#52 Post by Ithildriel » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:07 pm

Welcome to the new members. 8)

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#53 Post by Flyonthewall » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:40 am

And another one gets to experience the beauty of this timeless movie..

Welcome :wink:
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

Bob_san
Site Admin

#54 Post by Bob_san » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:33 pm

onesmokin3g wrote:the first time i watched it years ago, i hate to say, i wasn't the biggest fan.

This is cool, that you were won over!

i enjoy days when i know i have nothing to do, put the movie in and watch it several times as i lazily nap throughout it...waking up from time to time, smiling at whats on screen before i doze off again to dream about tokyo and charlotte.....im overdue for another viewing....
That's one of the more unique ways to experience the film that I have read so far!

onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

#55 Post by onesmokin3g » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:53 am

thanks for the welcome everyone! :D

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#56 Post by Just Like Honey... » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:01 am

i enjoy days when i know i have nothing to do, put the movie in and watch it several times as i lazily nap throughout it...waking up from time to time, smiling at whats on screen before i doze off again to dream about tokyo and charlotte.....im overdue for another viewing....
I did that every night for months after I first saw the film. Sometimes I would go home and go to bed just to live through it again. There's something about seeing it when I'm in a dreamy, half-asleep mood that enhances the beautiful haze of it all. A few drinks helps too, mind you.
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

onesmokin3g
Sleepless in Tokyo

#57 Post by onesmokin3g » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:46 am

Wow.....Exactly! So, im not the only one..... :D

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#58 Post by Old Member B » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:36 pm

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Flyonthewall
WooHoo Guy

#59 Post by Flyonthewall » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:47 am

Just happen to come upon the movie playing on the E! network... Immediately got the punched in the stomach feeling again and was transported back to Tokyo... becoming envious of Bob again :wink: and longed for Charlotte.. again.. :D

Yep.. all these years.. this movie is still magical...
"...Stay here, with me...."

The Search for Charlotte continues....

Cryogenic
Mr. Kazu

#60 Post by Cryogenic » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:16 pm

This movie will always be magical. It's a unique tapesty of delicate moods and feelings woven with the finest and softest thread. It is a gentle, slow and sustained orgasm for the mind. Everything about this movie is perfect. I am reminded of an argument in another masterpiece, Milos Foreman's "Amadeus". After Mozart is criticised for composing music that is too elaborate and told he should remove some of the notes, he responds, "Which notes did you have in mind?" His riposte is deliberately absurd -- and the absurdity it rallies against is exactly the way I feel about the beauty of this movie. Every note has purpose and is as vitally important as every other; change one thing and LIT dissolves into nothing; retain everything and LIT stays brilliant forever.