Play It Again Sam...er um...I mean Charlotte!!!

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Nijal
Traveler

#61 Post by Nijal » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:29 am

Back to the forum after a long time. Watched the movie last night (lost count).. after, I guess, one year. Well, nothing has changed. It's like the first time, even if I know the movie by heart, the sense of dreaminess, the longing for "falling in love" (even if I'm in love with someone), the sense of loneliness and of being an alien are always there and I hope always will be. How many nights have I spent in a bar, looking at a girl, thinking that maybe she was "Miss Right".. how many burned cigarettes..? Well, I'm in love with this movie.. and today I've lent it to someone special, hope she will appreciate it as much as I did.

Old Member B
Charlie Brown

#62 Post by Old Member B » Fri May 16, 2008 7:30 pm

Last edited by Old Member B on Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#63 Post by Tombo » Sat May 17, 2008 4:20 pm

Ben-B wrote:Here we go again. My desire to watch this movie is always feulled in some part by reading these posts. Bob san , I believe the makers of the film owe you a few bucks. Why do I keep coming back to this wonderful place?
Ditto.

Couldn't have put it better.

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#64 Post by LostCalls » Sun May 18, 2008 2:19 am

Same here.

I actually just rewatched the film. I was heading out of NYC on the trains late at night and had a long wait till I got to where I was going. Through the graces of modern technology, I've equiped by iPod with LiT, so I can watch it whenever I feel the need. Generally, I find it odd to watch in such ways at regular hours (i.e., when there's sunlight), but just now...late at night on the train, I really felt transported back into the world of the film while watching. Even the iPod's small screen can work wonders!

Coincidentally, the film was ending just as I got to my stop on the train. The gods must have been smiling on me. (Maybe Charlotte too.)

Tombo
Lounge Singer

#65 Post by Tombo » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:09 am

Again. Last night. First time for maybe two,three months. Still makes me catch my breath. :)

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#66 Post by You Make it Easy » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:44 am

Its been quite a while since I've posted here or seen LIT...but last night I watched LIT for the first time on my new HD TV. I really was able to notice a lot more in the movie even tho I've watched this movie about 12 times. Has usual I was moved when it came to the end of the movie, just can't help but smile and tear up at the same time....ahhh when am I going to have my LIT moment....someday. Anyhow just stopping in to say Hey!
Waiting to be found...

Pitman
Suntory Time

#67 Post by Pitman » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:44 am

It's June 21rst, mid-summer, longest day of the year...and what better way to celebrate than a late-night viewing of LiT. It's around 1:40 AM right now. I'm sitting at the computer writing this and the DVD is loaded in the living room, listening to Girls in the background from the menu page. Ok..here goes..this will be my 26th time I think.

Cheers all. And happy summer solstice!

Ash27
Lost In Jet Lag

#68 Post by Ash27 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:38 pm

Good luck Pitman, it's on film 4 in England as a write this. So watching it myself first time for a few month. Something i've found is i like to watch it the might before i fly out to the far east, i regular thing for me, not important why. So am alone in an asian city quite a lot. I'm lucky enough to have had the LIT experience in 2002 in Bangkok. Met a girl, by accident, where nothing happened we just went out a few times drinking and just having a really good laugh i didn't realise how much a felt for her untill i was back home. Been back to Bangkok a few times but simply can't find her, it's like she just vanished, maybe thats a good thing. Couldn't believe when i first saw LIT a couple of years after this event. It really brought back the same feelings and at the end that same lonely feeling. Few other films can recreate this feeling, one is 'chungking express' a film i seem to recommend everytime i come on here!

Pitman
Suntory Time

#69 Post by Pitman » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:11 am

Ash27, that's a cool experience. I've had similar experiences too. However, I have yet to tavel to the Orient. It is most definitely one of my lfe goals, in particular to Tokyo of course. I want to visit the Park Hyatt at least if I'm not rich enough to stay there, and go to the New York Grill - am must! I want to see how many places in the movie I can go to and take pictures of. That would be a dream come true for me. Another destination for me would be Seoul because I love Korean movies, especially My Sassy Girl. I'm not sure yet if I want to travel alone or with someone. I would prefer to travel with someone but unless that person has the same love for the movie, it wouldn't be as much fun. Likewise, if I'm travelling alone it wouldn't be as much fun not being able to talk about the locations and movie with a travel buddy. I'm sure when the time is right it will all come together. I will set my goal here now that within 3 years from today I will be in Tokyo living my dream.

Yeah, I have Chungking Express as a movie to watch. I did put it on a few weeks ago but couldn't get into it. Perhaps it takes a while for movie to get going, but I didn't get any sense of comparison to LiT. I'll have to try it again.

My evening with LiT was fabulous. I find that since I've seen the movie so many times I have to really get myself in the mood to see it. Also, when I consciously choose not to think about the movie's plot in advance, but trick my mind into believing I'm watching it for the first time by focussing all my attention into the present moment, it heightens my enjoyment of the movie still.

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#70 Post by TokyoGirl » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:37 pm

I do that also Ash, both times I've visited Japan in the last 2 years I've watched LiT just before going and just after coming back... it's something I have to do, I can't really explain it.

Anyway I caught the karaoke scene when it was showing on TV last night but I couldn't make myself watch it from there so I think I'm going to watch it tonight.
She's got the moves to rule the world...

Pitman
Suntory Time

#71 Post by Pitman » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:37 pm

Tokyo Girl.

I'm jealous.

SaitamaSteve
Awake

#72 Post by SaitamaSteve » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:44 pm

Ugh, this movie is sometimes just too intoxicating. And of course, all it takes is a visit to this board, the right mood, reading the threads and observations on the little things that make this movie such an experience to get me excited to watch it again. It's like meeting up with an old friend, it's a nostalgic and very refreshing way to remember all my great adventures and friends in Japan, and a reminder of how I can't wait to get back there in the winter.

I don't think this night can end any other way for me. I'm going to have to turn out the lights, pour myself a glass of whiskey, pop in the movie, and just enjoy the atmosphere and dream of returning to the Park Hyatt. :D

Bob_san
Site Admin

#73 Post by Bob_san » Sat Jul 25, 2009 2:27 am

Awesome stuff folks! I will have the house to myself for a few days in August and will be able to watch it again late at night. I think the last time I watched it may have been last Dec. . .

Edit Aug 25
I did watch it again two weekends ago late at night. I spread it out over two nights. Was great to see it again!

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#74 Post by TokyoGirl » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:06 pm

Since it was the beginning of a new year I made a resolution to watch LiT every year on the 1st Jan. Not that I don't watch it around 5/6 times throughout the year as well because I do. So I watched it on the first... this must be my 40th(?) time, because at one point I was almost watching it every day!

I don't actually feel as if it's losing anything special... I enjoy it just as much. I do, however, almost always fall asleep just before the bar/redhead scene and then wake up just after.

So yeah, just thought I'd share :)
She's got the moves to rule the world...

Emma
Stocking Lipper

#75 Post by Emma » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:55 pm

Unfortunately some friends want me to watch it with them but this is kind of impossible! If I watch it, I'm gonna watch it alone. What do you guys think?
Hmm ... that's a tough one. Personally, I feel that Lost in Translation is a very subtle, intimate experience best enjoyed alone. I remember that I once tried to share it with a college roommate ... but I think that the narrative was too ambiguous for her. She kept asking questions about it before deciding on something else to do ... I don't recommend that. LOL!

The last time I saw Lost in Translation was mid-January. I suggested it to one of my best friends several days ago, as she'd never seen it before, and she came away absolutely loving it. :)

Sirgin
Tourist

#76 Post by Sirgin » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:21 pm

I think I've seen Lost In Translation about 6-7 times, not entirely sure. Last time was (I think) somewhere around November last year, so I surely wouldn't mind watching it again! If only I could find the right moment to do so (preferably during the early hours of the morning, accompanied by a good White Russian or two :wink: )

Pitman
Suntory Time

#77 Post by Pitman » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:12 pm

Can you believe I am going to watch this glorious movie for the 46th time!!!
Wow, I can hardly believe it. I never thought I could ever watch one movie this many times. I've been going through a resurgence of late and watching it a couple times a month now. The movie is loaded in the player and I am listening to the Girls intro on the menu. Lots of bright Tokyo red lights.

Kompai!!

Bob_san
Site Admin

#78 Post by Bob_san » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:23 am

Excellent!!! (and welcome back!) I have lost count of how many times I have seen it!

(Have you posted a personal update in the Lounge?! I'm curious to know how your quest is going. . . :)

Pitman
Suntory Time

#79 Post by Pitman » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:51 pm

The timing is perfect. I have been at 49 views for a couple of months. My 50th view, a special one will be on Blu-Ray! I can't wait to get it!!

Looking forward to this viewing more than ever now!!

I have never watched a movie 50 times. Wow. And I'm going strong too.

I think in 10 years, it will be 100 views.

What sucks is that it's not available in Canada until after the New Year. Hmmm.

kite
LIT Super Fan

#80 Post by kite » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:16 am

Haven't seen it in years now. I'm going to rent it next weekend, I'm going to pull midnight viewing accompanied with peppermint tea and Gentlemen Jack whiskey. :)