Play It Again Sam...er um...I mean Charlotte!!!

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

wideawakedreaming
Traveler

#81 Post by wideawakedreaming » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:20 pm

Pitman wrote:The timing is perfect. I have been at 49 views for a couple of months. My 50th view, a special one will be on Blu-Ray! I can't wait to get it!!

Looking forward to this viewing more than ever now!!

I have never watched a movie 50 times. Wow. And I'm going strong too.

I think in 10 years, it will be 100 views.

What sucks is that it's not available in Canada until after the New Year. Hmmm.
I am in Nova Scotia and I just bought LIT on Bluray at Futureshop :) Watched it last night. So its out in Canada already.

burgundy
Ikebana Fan

#82 Post by burgundy » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:37 pm

When I saw the movie for the first time five years ago, I watched it maybe 7 or 8 times fairly soon afterwards. Then I basically left it alone. I enjoyed LIT more than just about any other movie I can think of but figured I would get on with my life.

After not having seen it for several years, I was in my local Toronto Public Library branch last week, and there it was, sitting on the shelf. I figured -- maybe it's time.

It was. I loved the movie all over again. Having that time away from it, made me appreciate it even more. It may also be that was more open to it this time because I'm currently making some loose plans for travelling in Asia this year.

Not surprisingly, the thing that resonated most with me this time, was the whole theme of dislocation during travel and how that break from routine is necessary to expand and grow as a person. Getting lost in translation is about leaving one's comfort zone and trying something new. Busting out and seeking new adventures.

The love story was great of course, but it did not pull me in as much. I thought more about how we meet new people in a generic sense -- how strangers can come in contact with each other and have these brief and fleeting but powerful experiences. All the episodes of our lives are like a series of little accidents that we try to mold into some meaningful story after the fact.

Bill Murray is my guru!
With intensity.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#83 Post by Bob_san » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:11 am

burgundy that's awesome, thanks for sharing!

PAUL_UK
Traveler

#84 Post by PAUL_UK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:19 pm

Saw it for the first time 4 days ago, and the second time last night!

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#85 Post by TokyoGirl » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:30 am

Got myself a new TV about a month ago, then I decided to get a Blu-Ray player, and today I received LiT on Blu-Ray in the post. I'm going to watch it tonight, I can't wait :)
She's got the moves to rule the world...

Pitman
Suntory Time

#86 Post by Pitman » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Tokyo Girl, how did you like the Blu-ray edition?

TokyoGirl
Lounge Singer

#87 Post by TokyoGirl » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:26 am

Pitman wrote:Tokyo Girl, how did you like the Blu-ray edition?
I thought it was pretty good. Some shots still had the grain but I think that was probably what Sofia wanted for the film. The outdoor shots were nice and sharp. I definitely think the audio track was improved, it sounded a lot richer.

You said you got the Blu-ray too... what did you think?
She's got the moves to rule the world...

Bob_san
Site Admin

#88 Post by Bob_san » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:54 am

Watched it again the other night for the first time in a long time. Maybe almost a year?! I like to watch it at least once or twice a year now. I had the house to myself (which is about once a year!) and like to put it on about midnight when it's dark and quiet. I think because I was so tired when watching it this time, I really felt more than I had before just how tired Bob is and his reactions to things as a result. I also noticed some things I had not thought about much before and will search to see if those things were discussed or not. If not I'll put up a new post!

Oh and then I get the urge to listen to the soundtrack a bunch of times. . . :D

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#89 Post by You Make it Easy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 am

Watching right now. 7 years later and still enjoy coming back to this forum, reading new post and old.
Waiting to be found...

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#90 Post by samwright8380 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:22 pm

It has been a long time since I've last watched the film, perhaps nearly a year. When I first saw the movie back in '04 I used to put it on late at night and open up a bottle of johnnie walker green label... now when I do play it I like to watch it very early in the morning, as if the tiredness recreates the jetlagged feel. Also I'm a nightowl so being up so early is a bit of a strange sensation anyway. It feels right to begin the movie when it's dark and finish it as the sun's coming up.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#91 Post by Bob_san » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:53 am

Glad to hear it folks!!

I too have watched it a few times since I last posted here!

preciouswhile
Mr. Kazo sent me

#92 Post by preciouswhile » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:22 am

I've been on a real kick lately, watching at least some of it most nights. It's been almost 10 years and I've probably watched it hundreds of times by now, but somehow it always seems to fit my mood. If I can't sleep and want to clear my head, or if I just want to relax with a drink and enjoy the scenery and music, it's there. Truly a treasure.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#93 Post by Bob_san » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:43 am

preciouswhile wrote:I've been on a real kick lately, watching at least some of it most nights. It's been almost 10 years and I've probably watched it hundreds of times by now, but somehow it always seems to fit my mood. If I can't sleep and want to clear my head, or if I just want to relax with a drink and enjoy the scenery and music, it's there. Truly a treasure.
That's awesome Old Timer!!! :D

2003 - 2013! This is the year! The 10th anniversary!

PAUL_UK
Traveler

#94 Post by PAUL_UK » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:20 pm

Another week off from work, another late night, and I've just finished watching LIT. I think, in a way, that I use this film as a sort of emotional grounding post to remind me who I am. No matter who I am at work, with friends or loved ones, LIT evokes a part of me that nobody has ever seen. It also raises questions and leaves me wondering If I've made the right choices. A week later when the 'effects' have worn off, I get on with life and feel fine. It scares me a little.

Whew...

Luigi
Lost In Tokyo

#95 Post by Luigi » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:46 pm

I just watched LiT again on Netflix tonight. 10 years on and I still love each minute of it.

Bob_san
Site Admin

#96 Post by Bob_san » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:17 am

PAUL_UK wrote:Another week off from work, another late night, and I've just finished watching LIT. I think, in a way, that I use this film as a sort of emotional grounding post to remind me who I am. .......

Whew...
Great to hear it!

Luigi wrote:I just watched LiT again on Netflix tonight. 10 years on and I still love each minute of it.
That's Awesome! :D

I haven't watched it in a long time, it's probably time. I think about it from time to time. Especially since I am beginning to research a trip to Japan in the future.

turn to camera
Traveler

#97 Post by turn to camera » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:54 pm

Watching it again this evening, if I have time I always watch the Lost On Location docu on the special features too.

Dare-ni mukatte mono itten-dayo!

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#98 Post by You Make it Easy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Every time I rewatch I post in this topic..TBH I haven't looked to see the last time I saw LIT but I'm watching right now cause its just that kind of night. :)
Waiting to be found...

foxchosen
Lost In Tokyo

#99 Post by foxchosen » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:17 pm

Just finished watching.
And I don't care it's Christmas Eve.
I love the movie :)

Also, all you big fans might want to check out the new threads here. Especially the soundtrack-related ones ;)
I'm stuck. Does it get easier?

SunsetOdds
Wide Awake

#100 Post by SunsetOdds » Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:02 pm

Snuck in one more before 2014!