my ideas, finally written

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

my ideas, finally written

#1 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:09 pm

i finally wrote my feelings on the film at my journal

http://www.livejournal.com/users/wondersupernova

please post there to tell me what you think.
mike

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#2 Post by 52FM » Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:52 pm

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on LiT. Interesting how your feeling evolved over a few viewings. Your writing brought to light a few things I’ve been thinking through over the past couple of months since I saw LiT. The first is one of adulthood’s dirty little secrets – you probably won’t live “happily ever after”. At least not without being able to face a fair share of disappointments and disillusionments along the way. In all seriousness, one of the best books I’ve read on this subject is the classic Dr. Seuss book “Oh, the places you’ll go”. I’ve essentially made my kids read that at each graduation milestone from 8th grade, high school, and now college for my oldest. (I’m assuming you’re high school or college age. If you’re older I apologize for the wrong impression but the book still works.

One review of LiT wrote it this way – at some point in everyone’s life, you start asking “is that all there is?” The trick to being content is coming to terms with “yes” and then realizing “that” is not necessarily bad. I’m beginning to realize that people hit that point several times in their life. It used to be called a mid-life crises, implying it happens once. Since I seem to be going through another one at 50+, I think it may be that the pace of life allows for multiples. But there is a similar feeling at the outset of adult life also (I never went through that one myself, but Charlotte was going through it and the “Charlotte” in my life that I’ve written about was certainly going through it also. So really these aren’t mid-life crises (and crises is probably a bad word anyway). It’s more a reflective period that can happen at life transition points. Probably every 10-15 years.

Anyway, by that logic I’m right on schedule for another one. LiT hit me hard for a lot of reasons that I’ve posted about in maybe too much detail here and on IMDb. But what your writing made me realize is that the movie only triggered an event that was probably going to start up on its own within the next year or so – my youngest is now 18 and I’ll be going through the empty nest adjustments soon. I think these reflective periods will be studied more as your generation goes through them – and LiT may be used as a study of them.

I hear the expression “40 is the new 30”. If so, then what is 30? The new 20? Whatever – the pace of life continues to change how we think about ourselves. An interesting point was made on the IMDb board that the “intelligent people” (Bob/Charlotte) were unhappy, looking for more – while the other “couple” (John/Kelly) were blissful in their ignorance. – they seemed very happy . That reminded me of what a friend said about his son as he switched colleges and majors several times trying to find something he’d be happy with. “This happiness crap is over-rated!” Well- maybe it is. And maybe we just need to learn how to deal better with transitions and see it as a journey, not a destination.

Yes – you will be confronting yourself all through your life with doubts at 10-15 year intervals (more of less); I’m beginning to see it is normal – and handled well can actually be more fulfilling than the blissful ignorance of John or Kelly.

This turned out longer than I expected – but again, I enjoyed your writing which inspired all of this.

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#3 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:19 pm

thanks for taking the time to read. i'm going through a very sentimental reflective sort of time right now as i'm at one of those transitional periods (getting ready to go to college) so you basically helped me identify the problem i'm having.

thanks again.
mike

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#4 Post by 52FM » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:48 am

Going off to college? That is the first major transitional period of your life. Been through it 4 times (once myself - then each of my kids - with my daughter being the last one happening this fall.) Best of luck to you. I've found with my kids that with email and IM the transition isn't really that tough, since they can commiserate with their HS friends and have a shared experience even being hundreds of miles away from each other. Then of course come the weekend campus visits etc.

Ironic that you are going to Ohio State - that's where "Charlotte" and her husband from my past went.

Again - best of luck - and enjoy your four years - they go by fast.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#5 Post by Congruous » Tue Jul 05, 2005 12:56 pm

You'll have a blast, Mike! The big change will be your becoming more independent (hopefully) and meeting and having a great time with a bunch of new friends. Remember what Dr. Johnson said: "If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself alone. A man, Sir, should keep his freindship in constant repair." And for God's sake, don't feel like you have to have a girlfriend. Date as much as you can!

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#6 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:23 pm

Congruous wrote:You'll have a blast, Mike! The big change will be your becoming more independent (hopefully) and meeting and having a great time with a bunch of new friends. Remember what Dr. Johnson said: "If a man does not make new acquaintance as he advances through life, he will soon find himself alone. A man, Sir, should keep his freindship in constant repair." And for God's sake, don't feel like you have to have a girlfriend. Date as much as you can!

great advice, thanks a lot! new people are what i NEED right now. i can't wait to make new friends because the people around here are becoming less interesting by the second!
mike

#7 Post by Guest » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:05 am

I looked at the blog entry but didn't note a link back to this site.
A link back to this site would help a lot.
I talked about this in another posting and will repeat it here:

I have optimized the site for search engines yet this site at least in google remains far down the list and doesnt even show up
in the first 20 doing a basic search. What this means is that this site
in order to be recognized more by search engines needs links from
other websites. So if you have a website or a blog or post in other
movie forums, a little linkage goes a long way!!! Thanks!

And good luck in the new school!

WhoFeelsLove
Lounge Singer

#8 Post by WhoFeelsLove » Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:31 am

Bob wrote:I looked at the blog entry but didn't note a link back to this site.
A link back to this site would help a lot.
I talked about this in another posting and will repeat it here:

I have optimized the site for search engines yet this site at least in google remains far down the list and doesnt even show up
in the first 20 doing a basic search. What this means is that this site
in order to be recognized more by search engines needs links from
other websites. So if you have a website or a blog or post in other
movie forums, a little linkage goes a long way!!! Thanks!

And good luck in the new school!
next time i go into the journal, i'll add a link to this site.
mike