Should I stay or should I go?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Should I stay or should I go?

#1 Post by Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:00 am

Go(ing), stay(ing), leave(ing): these words, mostly the first two, recur throughout the movie. It seems like half the conversations include one or more of these words.
There are two scenes in particular I think use them quite cleverly. Outside of the pool Charlotte asks Bob: "How long are you staying for?" They're both in their swim suits, ready for action, ready to dive into the night, submerge themselves into some unknown experience that's almost mysteriously bringing them together.
Later during the fire alarm scene she asks him: "When are you leaving?" Both are in their pajamas, ready to go back to sleep, move towards the morning and awaken from this dream-like experience they've been sharing.
Sofia might be using the words to convey the time constraints the characters find themselves in.

LITobsession
Park Hyatt Regular

#2 Post by LITobsession » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:32 pm

The whole film felt very transient and dreamlike for me.

When Charlotte and Bob flip through La Dolce Vita, I think that film is a perfect allusion for this one.

If you haven't seen La Dolce Vita, it's a must see. It deals with many of the same themes as LIT.
I'm still lost...

The Shoegazer
Japanese Surfer

#3 Post by The Shoegazer » Sun Jul 31, 2005 10:29 pm

I never really noticed that. I dont think they said it THAT often but I also think that Sofia tried to show maybe that the characters have a very limited time to know each other better and to spend time with one another.