Thank You

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

jml98
Asleep

Thank You

#1 Post by jml98 » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:37 am

Amazing. Today I was at work, and while I was going over something, a coworker working with me jokingly said that a file was “Lost in Translation.” Immediately, I felt somewhat of a punched in the stomach feeling – granted, it was not the Mike Tyson punch that watching the movie delivers, but it was still a gentle prod to the stomach. To say a year ago that anything (much less a movie) would produce an emotional response when I merely hear the name of it would be incomprehensible.

I still remember the first time I saw Lost in Translation. It was late; the rest of the family was asleep. Flipping through the channels I saw that Lost in Translation was to be shown on Starz! in a few minutes. Vaguely remembering the previews (it didn’t look half bad; after all Bill Murray was in it, so it had to be funny, right?), I decided to give it a shot. Here it is a year later and I’m still talking about it – but not because of the humor. It’s funny how, as johnmonkey said, if someone were to ask me what the movie is about, I couldn’t immediately tell them; yet, this is the most interesting movie I have ever seen.

That this forum continues to expand and that I still love to talk about the movie a year after watching it is a testament to the greatness and beauty of Lost in Translation. The impact of the movie on me is obvious in other ways than my participation in this forum -- the fact that I’ve listened to “Too Young”, “Sometimes,” “Girls,” and “Just Like Honey” a combined 1554 times, according to iTunes, is an apparent example. No other movie, song, book, poem or any kind of media has affected me to this extent (but I must say, every time I listen to any music from LiT, there is an emotional response); I doubt that anything ever will. I don’t know why I love this movie so much. Is it the great acting? The beautiful scenery? Perhaps it’s the conversations the characters had with each other. Or the uniqueness of the storyline. Maybe it’s the insights this movie gave me on life and relationships and everything in between. Maybe it’s the gut wrenching, tragic bittersweet sadness I feel when I see Bob walking away from Charlotte, smiling because he knows that no one will ever impact his life in the same way that this 20-something year old girl from Los Angeles has, but crushed because he realizes what he is missing. Maybe it’s all of the above.

But all things must end, and I think that Lost in Translation, or rather, this consuming obsession with it, is no exception. It’s time to move on, and after I watch LiT one last time this weekend - late at night, of course - I will not do anything LiT-related for a long while. It’s not so much that I have lost interest in the movie (although my posting enthusiasm has diminished somewhat), but rather than I just need to get away from it all. But as far away as I try to get, I know that it will always be with me in some way. And who knows? Maybe one day, I’ll feel nostalgic and pop in the DVD late at night. And I’m sure all of it will come back to me, stronger than ever.

This last post is not my dramatic farewell speech (or at least I’m not trying to make it like that) but more of a thank you to this forum. Whether or not you agreed with what I have said, you all kept open minds and, at least, listened, if not thoughtfully responded as well. This community is something special; treasure it. Ignore IMDB, or at least those that can't realize the beauty of this movie. I have enjoyed all interpretations and observations that you all have contributed. They have given me a much deeper understanding of the movie, and, quite frankly, life. For that I am eternally grateful.

Thanks to Sofia and Bill and Scarlett for bringing this to us. And thank you, weareawake community (and especially Bob), for always being here and never judging, and having the open-mindedness to listen and respond to my thoughts and feelings about the movie – and more.

I can finally sleep now. OK.

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#2 Post by You Make it Easy » Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:51 am

"tear", farewell for now. Maybe one day you will return after viewing LIT late at night and talk it all over again.
Waiting to be found...

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#3 Post by 52FM » Fri Jul 29, 2005 3:59 pm

jml98 -
I certainly understand. Despite my self-imposed hiatus, I still lurk nearly every day. A hard habit to break. If I remember correctly, you're entering your senior year. I do want to wish you well during that milestone year in your life. It's been great reading your posts and "talking" with you.

#4 Post by Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:25 pm

Well I/we shall be sad to see you go but I understand.
Thanks for your contributions to this community and helping to make it the great place that is has become.
Good luck to you and if you feel like stopping by the Lounge and saying hi and telling us how you're doing at some point please do so!