While I'm here - a few LiT thoughts

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

While I'm here - a few LiT thoughts

#1 Post by 52FM » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:02 pm

I’ve “lurked” on the forum a few times since my last post and while the crowd is still thin I still get interesting perspectives from the posts that are here. Here are a few thoughts I’ve had lately:

Still surprised how many young people got LiT fever – like jml and sw25. Somewhere I read someone say that teenagers maybe can relate to the “who am I ; where am I going” feeling better than anyone. True.

IMDb seems to have a new crop of posters on their LiT board. Interesting to see the “old” questions discussed by new people again (just like I was a new person discussing old questions a few months ago). But they still have a sub-crowd knocking the movie down.

Scarlett is doing a movie called A View From a Bridge based on a play where her uncle becomes infatuated with her. Is she getting typecast? Interesting that the character in the play is 17 – Scarlett’s age when she played a 23-24 year old in LiT. Now she’ll be 21 playing a 17 year old. She does have the versatility to pull it off.

No questioning her attractiveness which comes as much from her expressiveness as her beauty (which is more “real” and less supermodel-like). But I’d like to see her take on a role for once without her main purpose being the object of someone’s attention/affection.

I probably have the most posts per viewing of LiT than anyone on this board. In fact, I’m sure I’m the only one here who hasn’t even seen the entire movie. In fact, I probably only saw around 45-50 minutes of the whole 90 minutes or so. Yet from all the posts and reviews I feel I’ve seen it all several times.

I realized something thinking of that. When I saw it, I picked it up from the bar scene when they first talked. So I didn’t know any more about Charlotte than Bob did. So I “got to know her” at his same pace, and I realized I became “attracted” to her at the same pace. By the time of the fire alarm I didn’t want to leave either.

I actually switched back and forth from LiT and other shows when I saw it. I said this before, but I assumed it was the typical old guy / young girl story. When they were in bed I said to myself – OK, here it is. It’s when they didn’t make love that I got hit hard and stopped flipping channels.

I never expressed my thoughts on Bob sleeping with the singer. In my mind the most important scene in telling us who Bob is and what follows tells us who Bob/Charlotte are to each other. Up to that point I figured “OK, Bob just isn’t the type to cheat on his wife; that’s why they didn’t make love.” Sofia set that up, in my opinion – and then hit us with “WRONG!”. In my mind it shows Bob apparently thinks nothing of cheating – presumably he did it many times, it came so easy. But he wouldn’t think of it with Charlotte – their relationship is too special. As I said, Bob would not make Charlotte have to decide to say no, or say yes and regret it, or say yes and then deal with not regretting it.

This is definitely the best movie I never saw (completely).

LITobsession
Park Hyatt Regular

#2 Post by LITobsession » Fri Jul 29, 2005 4:28 pm

Just out of curiousity why in God's name haven't you seen the whole movie?

I mean, it's understandable but not from someone who spends so much time on the LIT boards.

Did you miss the first part of the film or the latter? If it was the first then you probably didn't miss nearly as much as if you had missed the latter.
I'm still lost...

#3 Post by Guest » Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:39 pm

Missed the first 30 minutes, then didn't stick with it exclusively until the bed scene.

Why? I don't mean to put off the question but it's because of how it hit me and why - which I've detailed in other posts. Not becuase I didn't like it - it's more becuase I did. In fact, it is the most important movie I ever saw in my life.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#4 Post by Congruous » Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:48 pm

Man, you have to see the whole movie! If for no other reason, the music is fantastic. My TV is in the same room with my computer, so I'll put the movie on and sort of watch it out of the corner of my eye. Plus, if you get the DVD, you can watch the partial (I consider it partial) documentary and listen to what Sophie has to say. There is very little of Scarlett in it, but Murray is absolutely hilarious.

You Make it Easy
Charlie Brown

#5 Post by You Make it Easy » Sat Jul 30, 2005 1:54 pm

One shot of Scarlett in the whole "Lost on Location" I was hoping to see more of her. You have to watch the first part of the movie without it the movie isnt complete.
Waiting to be found...

Congruous
Suntory Time

#6 Post by Congruous » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:57 pm

My personal uneducated feeling is that there is and will be a full documentary on a "Criterion"-like "LiT" that will be released in a few years.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#7 Post by 52FM » Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:11 pm

Yes - I know it's strange that I haven't (and won't) see the whole movie. It's all in my (too many, too detailed) posts about how it relates to my personal situation from many years ago. It's here (and on IMDb) but I can see now it's probably not interesting - I only posted it to help myself through some tough times - and I thank the people who helped (and put up with it). Though I can't recall what I posted here and what I posted on IMDb - the fact in short is that I stumbled upon the movie after 30 minutes had gone by. I was sort of a wreck by the time it was over and I really just got over it. I have no desire to risk having it hit me again now that things are closed.

The movie literally changed my life - leading me to settle things I didn't realize weren't settled.

So a line in the movie fits well in my situation - "Let's never come here again becuase it won't be the same".

Autumn Child
Philosopher

Re: While I'm here - a few LiT thoughts

#8 Post by Autumn Child » Thu Aug 11, 2005 2:31 pm

52FM wrote: Still surprised how many young people got LiT fever – like jml and sw25. Somewhere I read someone say that teenagers maybe can relate to the “who am I ; where am I going” feeling better than anyone. True.

yup, i get that feeling all the time...

but there's also something else about it, i think it just has an immense beauty which just wrenches at me inside and brings up all this emotion...

:roll: :D

find me at www.talkrpg.tk