The Whisper

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

jml98
Asleep

#21 Post by jml98 » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:10 pm

i think that he just doesn't want to, and really, if he did, it would ruin it....

Silver

#22 Post by Silver » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:41 am

Bill Murray was interviewed for December's Esquire magazine, and he was questioned about the whisper. He told the story then, and yesterday he was on Jane Pauley's morning talk show and had some fun with it again.

He said that during the summer he was visiting Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts and had to take a ferry to get off the island to the mainland. He was on one ferry and a man on the other ferry yelled across something to the effect of "Hey Bill,what did you whisper/say at the end of "Lost in Translation"?" He said that at that moment three hundred heads or so all turned in the direction of his ferry and he started say ....when all of a sudden the foghorn blast came from the ferry - and as he was pretending to give an answer, it drowned everything out, leaving the response still unheard!!

Priceless.

The Jane Pauley show aired for one hour with Bill as the sole guest and it was really enjoyable. She had interviewed him previously. He knew her from the time she was one of the morning anchors on the Today show and he was doing Saturday Night Live in the late 70's.

Just Like Honey...
Suntory Time

#23 Post by Just Like Honey... » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:57 am

Silver wrote:all of a sudden the foghorn blast came from the ferry - and as he was pretending to give an answer, it drowned everything out, leaving the response still unheard!!
lmao thats amazing. great stuff. do you know if theres anywhere on the web that has posted a transcript or even a brief summary of the show?
I'd rather be a gear in a big, deterministic, physical machine than just some random swerving.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Bill Murray with Jane Pauley

#24 Post by jm » Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:26 pm

"Here's the official link, without video or transcript.

Here's the fun we're having -- well, I'm inside and staying there, so other people are having this fun.
[img:93ecc935dd]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v352/ ... CTV012.jpg[/img:93ecc935dd]"
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silver

#25 Post by Silver » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:04 pm

I would suggest you try the link posted above, and there is a feedback area. Perhaps you could ask if the show is to be repeated (some of the shows are repeated when the host/hostess is on vacation) and maybe they could give you some sort of advance notice on the scheduling.

Aside from the time that I saw Bill Murray in person at the BAM festival, this past April in Brooklyn, it was the most relaxed that I have ever seen him in an interview for that length of time. He is great on Letterman and Conan O'Brien (he's on Conan's show tonight as a guest), but for one hour, he was Bill the person not the personality.

Jane Pauley did question him about being accessible - that he has an unlisted phone number and he said that the people who live in the house with him, don't have an interest in Hollywood (the industry), so why impose constant interruptions and chatter on them. Pauley said that he has no publicity agent, etc. He very nicely replied that he's on her show. Touche - so somebody somewhere had a connection. I'm glad that he made the appearance.

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#26 Post by Beery » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:21 pm

Anonymous wrote:As much as I and all of you would Bob to have said something beautiful, I'm convinced he says nothing understandable...
Well, that's not entirely true. He says "okay?" right at the end. :wink:

But all tongue-in cheek comments aside, I agree with the majority of LIT lovers here when they say that the rest of what he says is a mystery, and that's how it's supposed to stay.
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"

Beery
LIT Super Fan

#27 Post by Beery » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:33 pm

Silver wrote:Jane Pauley did question him about being accessible - that he has an unlisted phone number and he said that the people who live in the house with him, don't have an interest in Hollywood (the industry), so why impose constant interruptions and chatter on them...
I must say that it's really hard for folks who like their privacy just to live in the world as it is. I can't imagine the stress on someone like that if he happens to be famous. I mean sometimes I just want everyone to just leave me alone, and when I'm in those moods it's almost guaranteed that the phone or the doorbell rings. Sometimes I just imagine myself screaming "Oh please just leave me the hell alone!"

In my experience extroverted people can't seem to comprehend the need for alone time that more introverted people have. There's a great book on the subject that I keep in my bedside cabinet - called "The Loner's Manifesto". It's a very liberating book for those of us who value our privacy, and I reckon it should be required reading for folks who know someone who is more introverted.

Not that I necessarily think Bill Murray is an introvert. He may just be an extrovert who likes his privacy.
You want more mysterious? I'll just try and think, "Where the hell's the whiskey?"