Cheating On Charlotte. Prison Break.

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

Cheating On Charlotte. Prison Break.

#1 Post by A moment of silence » Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:09 am

:)

Hey what's up, dudes?

Alright. i have two questions for all of you. Everybody is welcome to write their opinions.

1. Why did Bob sleep with the Soulsolito woman? Was it because he wanted to do you know what and could not do it with Charlotte? so he chose this lady? Or is there something else to it?

2. About the 'prison break' proposition. Was he joking around? Because Charlotte left the Bar without letting her husband know supposedly to pack her bags. I am just confused...they did indeed enjoy and leave the Hotel but was that because they had planned it that night or spontaneous?-She did not pack anything at all. they filmed the room the next day.-So then what did she do when she left?
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: Cheating On Charlotte. Prison Break.

#2 Post by jm » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:01 am

"[quote:b2846bc092="A moment of silence"]1. Why did Bob sleep with the Soulsolito woman? Was it because he wanted to do you know what and could not do it with Charlotte? so he chose this lady? Or is there something else to it?[/quote:b2846bc092]
Yes, but he didn't chose her -- it just happened.

[quote:b2846bc092="A moment of silence"]2. About the 'prison break' proposition. Was he joking around?[/quote:b2846bc092]
They were telling each other that they were of the same mind when it came to disliking the atmosphere of the bar, the people in it, the whole situation of having to be there and putting up with their situation."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#3 Post by Congruous » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:42 pm

1) Bob slept with the singer because he was weak. She put herself in his way and encouraged him to pay attention to her. He knew his wife would never know. He didn't count on Charlotte finding out about it. Possibly on one level he didn't think he felt enough for Charlotte to care. That changed the next day.

2) Bob and Charlotte had conversed the night before the "prison break" quip came up. Bob had sense enough to see that Charlotte was a little off her bearings. When he saw her with John and Kelly and the hiphop idiot the next night, it didn't take long for him to guess she was totally bored. Bob himself was simply trying to drink the week away. So when Charlotte stopped by to speak to him, he popped the "prison break" quip to let her know he understood her situation, and Charlotte, for her part, said she'd go pack to let him know she understood what he meant.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#4 Post by I65 » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:16 am

I think that it is important that the woman Bob sleeps with is the lounge singer, because in a way she is an older representation of Kelly. Charolette feels abandoned by her husband as he fawns over this action movie starlette, and connects with Bob who makes her feel special. Then she finds Bob in his compromising position with the elder "Kelly" so to speak. He becomes fallible to her (kind of like when a little girl first learns that her "daddy" isn't perfect). He becomes just another "dog" willing to jump into the sack with the first thing that comes along.

I agree with what Congruous said about the prison break scene. In a way she is kind of playing a game with John here too. She leaves the table, walks over to this movie star and starts talking to him, John takes no notice, he is so absorbed in Kelly. She is then off to her room to wait and see how long it takes her husband to either realize, or care, that she is gone and come for her.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by 52FM » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:53 pm

I've often assumed that him sleeping with singer also showed us that Bob did that kind of thing at least semi-regularly. Which made it even more special that he didn't seem to consider it with Charlotte. Does anyone think that his indiscretion was his first? He seemed to be more upset that Charlotte found out than concern over cheating on Lydia.

The scene to me is important on many levels. Never caught the "older Kelly" angle - that's intriguing, Ith.
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

#6 Post by jm » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:06 pm

Well, it might be Charlotte's first idea that a man who is otherwise nice would want to do, and actually do, such a thing.
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pitman
Suntory Time

Re: Cheating On Charlotte. Prison Break.

#7 Post by Pitman » Thu May 25, 2006 9:17 am

A moment of silence wrote::)

Hey what's up, dudes?

Alright. i have two questions for all of you. Everybody is welcome to write their opinions.

1. Why did Bob sleep with the Soulsolito woman? Was it because he wanted to do you know what and could not do it with Charlotte? so he chose this lady? Or is there something else to it?
That night when Bob was sitting at the bar, it looked to me he was hoping and waiting to see Charlotte come down like she did before. If it was Charlotte who had sat beside him instead of the lounge singer, who knows what path the film would have taken. He's a man going through a mid-life crisis, the opportunity presented itself, he just went along with it.
A moment of silence wrote: 2. About the 'prison break' proposition. Was he joking around? Because Charlotte left the Bar without letting her husband know supposedly to pack her bags. I am just confused...they did indeed enjoy and leave the Hotel but was that because they had planned it that night or spontaneous?-She did not pack anything at all. they filmed the room the next day.-So then what did she do when she left?
Yes, he was just joking around. When Charlotte got up from the table she said to John she'd be right back. I think she was just going to the washroom. The movie doesn't document every single action in the week they were in Tokyo. So, it's obvious there was more that was left out of the movie than could be shown. This is when we just have to assume things. She gets up and walks over to Bob who makes a joke about breaking out because he can see how bored she is. She jokes as well saying she's in. Then she's off to the washroom. It's assumed she returned to the table and continued her evening with John and his two friends.

LostCalls
Lounge Singer

#8 Post by LostCalls » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:23 pm

And also, about the "prison break" scene, I think Bob starts the conversation with Charlotte by immediately trying to connect with her in the same type of humorous but meaningful way: "Do you always sit in the same spot? >>I like it here; if I fall, someone will notice." (That's a paraphrase)

Of course Charlotte is the only person there Bob probably cares about, so she is the one he hopes will "notice if I fall." By phrasing this statement without explicitly mentioning Charlotte--not "If I fall, you'll notice," e.g.--Bob opens the door for one of the many tacitly understood connections that he and Charlotte share.

This bit about falling from the chair could also be a slight reference to Bob's joke about only getting so close to the glass when he's on the floor during the photo shoot. In the prison break scene, though, this quip, which was only a joke to him before, now becomes more than just a means for laughter; it allows "someone," i.e. Charlotte, to notice. (Is it a coincidence then that The Pretenders' song Brass in Pocket that Charlotte later sings is all about being noticed? In this song, though, there's a "you" specified--"I'm gonna make you, make you, make you notice." This is much more direct--yet still playful--than Bob's joke in prison break about "someone will notice.")

Also, and I realize I'm drawing out these connections as far if not farther than they should go, Charlotte is--as has been previously written here--the only one to recognize Bob's sleeping with the jazz singer. So, in that metaphoric sense, someone did notice when he...fell.

ForRelaxingTimes
Charlie Brown

#9 Post by ForRelaxingTimes » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:13 am

As for the first question: Only one word comes to mind for me...alcohol. You can obviously see he has probably had several rounds of suntory. I don't believe it was because he wanted to sleep with Charlotte, their relationship goes deeper than that. I think in his present state his altered thinking drove him to sleep with the Jazz singer...alcohol can do that hehe.

For question number two: You have to remember Bob and Charlotte are both very witty and sarcastic which had probably attracted them to one another in the first place. Charlotte's husband, John isn't quite to that same level with her as you can see in the "Evylen Waugh scene." As for Bob, Lydia I think understands Bob's sarcasm though has chosen not to acknowledge it as you can see in their phone conversations. So, when they are in the bar and they were talking of the "escape" it was sarcasm but with a hint of truth though not to that level. That's just my two cents. :)
"For Relaxing Times...Make it Suntory Times."

"I'm organizing a prison break..."

Bren
Ikebana Fan

#10 Post by Bren » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:10 pm

I never did like the scene(s) with the jazz singer, it just made me think that it might put Bob & Charlotte's relationship in jeopardy. :(
As 'ForRelaxingTimes' said: "I don't believe it was because he wanted to sleep with Charlotte, their relationship goes deeper than that" Thats one of the great things about this film (linked to this discussion). They're not in some simple (and quite frankly boring) relationship where they'd be sleeping with each other, it's deeper than that. :D
"Everyone wants to be found."