Japanese Wedding

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

Japanese Wedding

#1 Post by A moment of silence » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:46 pm

Hey, me again.

Alright, the scene begins with Charlotte strolling like she did most days. Then she starts to stare at something, we see it, it's a couple.
Now when I see them I think it is a wedding. Beautiful by the way. But she stares and stares, watches closely as if this were making her feel something- what is this making her feel? or making her think about? I do not know. I have guesses but I rather ask you LIT experts. Thank You.
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: Japanese Wedding

#2 Post by jm » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:53 am

"[quote:d0d2a3c48b="A moment of silence"]Then she starts to stare at something, we see it, it's a couple. Now when I see them I think it is a wedding.... But she stares and stares, watches closely as if this were making her feel something - what is this making her feel? or making her think about?[/quote:d0d2a3c48b]
Well, I am not sure how deep this river runs. My impression was that it was a curiosity to Sofia, this very traditional wedding ceremony that Scarlett catches a glimpse of, and she's just showing it to us through Scarlett. You could put together some stuff about how it related to her and John or Bob, perhaps, but I haven't done that."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#3 Post by Congruous » Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:41 pm

To me, what is interesting about this scene is the closeup of the woman putting her hand in the man's. Much later, during the scene in the bar after the fire alarm, Bob first offers Charlotte his right hand, and she shakes it. In the next shot, she has put her left hand in his, just like the wedding couple. It's probably much ado about nothing, but it's something that stuck out to me.

jml2
WooHoo Guy

#4 Post by jml2 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:29 am

I saw the scene as being something that shows us that Charlotte has started enjoying life again. In the beginning of the movie she complains that she couldn't feel anything when she went to see the monks. But at the garden with the wedding it looks like she can feel something again.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#5 Post by adrien950 » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:33 pm

Both very excellent posts,jml2 and congruous! I never really notice the things you both saw,but now that I have..wow! :o

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

#6 Post by findingcharlotte » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:12 pm

the traditional Japanese wedding is overwhelmingly beautiful...besides being in awe of this ceremony , yes..perhaps she just ( with Bobs help ) had started to "feel" again...
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#7 Post by A moment of silence » Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:35 pm

Yeah! that explains her look, like she is mesmerized or something. It could also be connected to the night before where Bob and Charlotte were talking about marriage and how it is hard, but he told her "you are not hopeless" so maybe she thought she still could make it work and that relieved her. But, yes the feeling again explains a lot. Thanks.
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last