Karaoke Scene

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

Karaoke Scene

#1 Post by A moment of silence » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:46 pm

http://cuboidal.org/movies/scenes/lostintranslation/

This is a nice page. About a great scene. These comments remind me of the ones I see in this Forum. :)
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

Wing Fat
Tokyo Insomniac

#2 Post by Wing Fat » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:34 am

Thanks for the link, I think the comentary is right on the money.

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

#3 Post by findingcharlotte » Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:54 am

Its a deep scene , even if it wasnt intended that way. Its visual poetry.
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#4 Post by adrien950 » Wed Oct 12, 2005 12:23 am

Great link. I love the stills from that scene..so much is said without actually saying it aloud........that's just so amazing. Very good commentary as well.

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#5 Post by 52FM » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:27 pm

I just took a look at this site. The stills are AMAZING! I actually got a (mild) kick in the stomach from them. Such emotion from a glance - a slight change into a small smile. Such deep understanding from just a look; more than 1000 words could ever possibly say.

To have only even an hour like that with someone special when you are "lost"...
"Willoughby. Next stop is Willoughby."

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#6 Post by A moment of silence » Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:58 pm

***I used to watch the photo were Bob+Char were sitting on the lounge area and thought they maybe said something important or interesting,and that was why that photo was so famous, and it was a surprise for me to find out that on that scene there was not even a word said. I found it very beautiful. When you know you can have "a moment of silence" with someone you just met, then you know your relationship is already special.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#7 Post by Congruous » Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:19 am

AMOS, I think the most intense moment from when they were sitting in the lounge is when Bob has taken Charlotte's cigarette. He has taken a drag and is sort of staring off in space. She is staring intently at him, not in a loving, or even affectionate, way, but like she is reading him. When he returns the cigarette, she puts her head on his shoulder and smiles likes she's saying, "Okay, got it."
"Are there no more arrows left?"

morethanthis
Traveler

#8 Post by morethanthis » Sun Dec 18, 2005 10:18 am

That's a great link, pretty spot on...!

I've always found that part of the film pretty moving - I only recently realised that there are around 7-8 minutes of the film with no scripted lines (apart from "Ladies & Gentlemen...")! From the start of the karaoke to when Bob puts Charlotte to bed, so much happens that's just described by the expressions, visuals and music. It reaches a great climax when My Bloody Valentine plays over the taxi ride back to the hotel and Charlote watches Bob dozing... Everything changes after that.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#9 Post by A moment of silence » Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:14 pm

I took a class in College about Cinema and according to what the professor told us, this scene has a sexual implication with the cigarette sharing...and the one where they first talk at the Bar, when he lights her cigarette...that one also.
See, the cigarette, is used as a symbol for sex that is only shared when the two persons are sexually attracted to each other.
***When he lights her fire at the Bar, that says he is available for her, and that he is sexually mature and apt, and of course, attracted to her.
***In the lounge area she was smoking her cigarette before Bob arrived. He then took it off her hand, and took a zip himself then gave it back to Charlotte, which may indicate they were excited or horny at the time (check their facial expressions while the sharing is happening)
Again, this is symbolism that started back in the 1940's. I am not very sure about the second explanation I gave, but, it should be that or something similar.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#10 Post by I65 » Mon Dec 19, 2005 6:19 pm

I think that cigarette scene in the house, where he "takes a zip" as you put it, contrasts with the way that John reacted, snubbing out her cigarette in the hotel room.

hull_street
WooHoo Guy

#11 Post by hull_street » Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:57 pm

Sometimes a cigarette is just a cigarette.
But I like your interpretations better. :wink:

silentguest
Evelyn Waugh

#12 Post by silentguest » Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:34 pm

Even more sexual imagery: 2 for the price of 1! John and Charlotte are at the table with Kelly and her boyfriend. Bob slowly takes a sip from the whiskey glass and glances up at Charlotte, she's looking back at him and takes a drag on her cigarette.

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

#13 Post by findingcharlotte » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:10 pm

I hjave to agree with Hull...think its just imagery and a cigarette is just a cigarette....If anything, its open flirting ...but sexual is too strong a description here..

but thats just my opinion
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."

Congruous
Suntory Time

#14 Post by Congruous » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:42 am

Ith, I like your point. That's interesting. John says, "They're just so BAD for you!"
"Are there no more arrows left?"

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#15 Post by A moment of silence » Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:10 pm

Yeah, a cigarette is just a cigarette...I just shared what my Cinema history class' professor told us about the imagery and the symbolism used in some films. Maybe Copola did not do these scenes thinking about the meaning behind their actions, I just wanted to bring this lesson to your attention. :roll:

And yes, when I saw him taking the cigarette and her smiling, I thought she felt so happy because he did not mind her smoking, in fact he even joined her.

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#16 Post by I65 » Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:13 pm

A moment of silence wrote:And yes, when I saw him taking the cigarette and her smiling, I thought she felt so happy because he did not mind her smoking, in fact he even joined her.
Which could be taken either way...right?

1. He cared more about her (or at least understood her better) than John did, he accepted her for who she was.

2. John truly cared more about her, as he was looking out for her wellbeing when he said "I really wish you would stop smoking"...at least that is what my husband tells me... :roll:

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#17 Post by A moment of silence » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:45 pm

John wanted to take care of her...he did not want her to have that horrible habit, he tried to change her. Bob, on the other hand, shared that habit, and evenhthough it is not the cleanest and smartest habit one can have, it is something they shared and a way of showing how Bob was everything John was not. That is how I see it.
8)

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

No.2

#18 Post by A moment of silence » Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:53 pm

It is so interesting how Copola chose to put them in a Karaoke Bar and make them sing their feelings out. This was a very creative way of putting it, and original too. They did not need to say words, not even out in the lounge area...it's as if the lyrics of the songs said everything. For the rest of the night they know how they feel and they do not say a word to each other. :)

52FM
Inactive/Deleted user

#19 Post by 52FM » Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:01 am

Let's try the cigarette thing one other way:

John was trying to control Charlotte - demanding that she stop smoking. My wife smoked for many years. I always encouraged her to quit but knew I couldn't "make her" quit; I knew she woudl do it when she was ready - not becuae I told her too. And she did.

So I think John was projecting control over her; and Bob just let her be herself. Of course, he shared the same habit, and presumably for many more years, so I doubt he woudl even think of suggesting that she quit.

So imy logic breaks down quickly.

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#20 Post by A moment of silence » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:01 am

[quote="52FM"]Let's try the cigarette thing one other way:

Of course, he shared the same habit, and presumably for many more years, so I doubt he woudl even think of suggesting that she quit.

** Maybe he used to smoke and couldn't resist this one time. Or maybe he did not used to smoke, but tried a bit now because he could.
This is not specified in the film.... :?