Have you been to the locations in the film?

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

Wing Fat
Tokyo Insomniac

Have you been to the locations in the film?

#1 Post by Wing Fat » Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:33 am

There's another thread which lists some of the locations in the film. I'm just wondering if anyone here has actually been to any of them.

I'm going to Tokyo in January. This will be the first time I've been back there since LIT was released, so I'm thinking of visiting some locations. The Park Hyatt is an obvious choice, but I would really like to eat at that shabu shabu restaurant. I'd also like to visit that street where Bob and Charlotte say their real goodbyes (the infamous whisper).

Would sure like to hear from someone that's been there and find out how their experience was and any advice they may have.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#2 Post by samwright8380 » Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:13 pm

i spent a week in tokyo myself last year, and really enjoyed it. part of the films appeal i think is the atmosphere of the location, and japan certainly has a lot of that. kyoto´s an amazing place to visit simply in terms of the number of shrines, Tokyo is great and although the park hyatt is what it is, a luxury hotel, its worth the visit simply to sit in that bar.... if i can ever get my laptop running i will post the photos on site... the shabu shabu bars listed somewhere online, i think in shibuya, which is where the crossroads are that charlotte crosses.the scene was filmed from starbucks, and you can get there on jr line to shibuya, and then exit on hachiko exit. and the park hyatt is in shinjuku, which is best got to from the subway by taxi to save hassle;Yaksuni dori is where the opening sequence with bob was filmed.
To get to the heian jingu temple (the red one in the kyoto sequence)you´ll need a shinkansen ticket which is about 150 pounds english. the other temple is the nanzenji temple, if you get the lonely planet or time out guides to both cities you´ll get the best out of you´re trip. You really can´t go to tokyo without going to kyoto, and you´ll regret it if you don´t.

KKDallas
Ikebana Fan

#3 Post by KKDallas » Fri Oct 14, 2005 10:50 pm

It's your lucky day....some of the locations and even addresses are listed on this site!

Go to Links and look under Articles, specifically the article on Post Modern Tokyo.

I am so jealous! After seeing LiT, I have been longing to visit Tokyo. I purchased some travel books and maps so I could read reviews of the hotel, restaurants and the various districts "wards" of the city.

Bon Voyage, Wing Fat!!

Kathy

#4 Post by Guest » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:32 am

Yes we all want to go!
If any of the forum members should win the lottery, please sponsor a trip for us, thanks! :shock: 8) :o

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#5 Post by samwright8380 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:17 am

After going last year, i´d really like to go again. I´m thinking of doing a TEFL course (teaching english in a foreign language) and have a go at trying to get some work as an english teacher out there. After all, seeing that I´m working here in Gibraltar just to fund more short trips it would make sense to cut out the middleman and try to stay there full time. The demand for english teachers is very high due to the business applications of the language; when I was there I remember seeing a multitude of places offering english classes. There are obviously a number of problems that need to be overcome, there always are, but I really can´t think of a more interesting place to live. I guess I´m a prime example of one of those people who rather than find the film condescending, actually think it showcases the charm of the culture. I think the observations made on the nature of isolation etc are very general. And even if some Japanese do have certain problems with the english language, the fact that they are able to communicate with foreigners even on a limited basis on their home ground is to be commended. I found on my previous visit that most Japanese are highly tolerant and will make an effort to converse- I don´t know if that could be said of many if they were confronted with a Japanese tourist wanting information here! Anyway would be pleased to hear if anyone has any info or opinions on teaching/living in Japan.....

I65
Inactive/Deleted user

#6 Post by I65 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:15 pm

Here is a link to a website I like to visit of an American who teaches English to Jr. High School students in Japan (Kyoto actually, if I remember correctly). On this page is a link that says READ HERE FIRST which contains information and links on becoming an English teacher in Japan.

http://outpostnine.com/editorials/teacher.html

His editorials are quite entertaining as well. :lol: