The Hospital Gift.

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

The Hospital Gift.

#1 Post by A moment of silence » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:01 pm

So, what do you think Charlotte does with the Owl that Bob gives her? Can she tell John? Or does she lie? Hope she didn't lose it, though. It's really sweet. :)
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

Congruous
Suntory Time

#2 Post by Congruous » Sun Oct 16, 2005 7:39 pm

I always wondered where that thing went. You know she would want to keep it. I guess she could tell a partial truth and say she went to the hospital because her toe was hurting and she bought it in the gift shop. I never really noticed the owl until people here mentioned it.

Wing Fat
Tokyo Insomniac

#3 Post by Wing Fat » Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:05 pm

Charlotte never really gives John a direct answer about anything (ex.: "I'll quit later."). She doesn't really need to, as John doesn't seem all that interested in what's really going on with her in the first place. So I doubt John would inquire about the owl (assuming he even noticed it). Even if he did, I'm sure Charlotte giving him a short, vague answer would suffice, and I doubt she would have to concoct an elaborate story to throw John off the trail.

I'm sure she would keep it (assuming she didn't throw it away after she caught Bob with the lounge singer!).

It's sort of nice to think about Charlotte back home in the States, sitting alone and staring at the owl from across the room, reliving the memories of her trip to Japan.

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#4 Post by adrien950 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:02 pm

It would also be nice to think that Bob keeps that picture of Charlotte close to him always..whenever he feels lost, he stares at the photo and remembers. :D

Wing Fat
Tokyo Insomniac

#5 Post by Wing Fat » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:58 pm

adrien950 wrote:It would also be nice to think that Bob keeps that picture of Charlotte close to him always..whenever he feels lost, he stares at the photo and remembers. :D
I think that'd be dangerous, as I'll bet Lydia goes through Bob's wallet on a regular basis!

adrien950
Japanese Surfer

#6 Post by adrien950 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:12 pm

I don't think she cares enough to look through his stuff..maybe that will change when Bob goes back home wanting to revitalize his marriage. :|

lemoncupcake
Japanese Surfer

#7 Post by lemoncupcake » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:47 pm

Wing Fat wrote:It's sort of nice to think about Charlotte back home in the States, sitting alone and staring at the owl from across the room, reliving the memories of her trip to Japan.
I think about that too. I've done the same with things from special moments.

samwright8380
Japanese Surfer

#8 Post by samwright8380 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:46 pm

During the weekend I watched Lost on Location again, and saw by using freeze frame part of the shooting schedule, which stated that one of the scenes to be shot that day was that of bob buying a gift for charlotte at the hospital. I´ve also seen stills of bob next to a cart selling gifts including the stuffed toys in mention and holding the owl. I´m guessing here that the scene was shot but never used, and as there is I think another shot used in the trailer thats not in the film ít leads me to think there must be a multitude of further unused footage as there invariably is with most films. Its probably for our own good that this stuff remains unseen however, as it´s usually cut for a reason..

Wing Fat
Tokyo Insomniac

#9 Post by Wing Fat » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:07 am

samwright8380 wrote:...ít leads me to think there must be a multitude of further unused footage as there invariably is with most films.
I thought about that, but in this case the film was shot in such a short time (27 days I think I read somewhere) that I doubt there was a lot of unused material that was different from what we saw in the finished product (i.e., original stuff and not simply re-takes).

synasp
Awake

#10 Post by synasp » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:33 am

Bob buys this owl from the hospital gift store. That's fine, but when I tried tracking this owl down in Tokyo, I couldn't find it anywhere! I finally found it on the 5th floor of a special high-end toys store, and most of them were tiny. There are 3 sizes, and the one Bob buys is a large. The small ones (about 4" tall) were $20 or so, the medium (about 7") were $45 or so, and the large (about 14") was $95.

My theory is that the film crew probably browsed the high-end shops (since they're rich) and fell in love with this owl, and decided to use it in the film. Since then, the owl has gone out of production, explaining why it was so hard to locate.

A $100 gift isn't unbelievable considering the Park Hyatt is expensive as heck (cost me nearly $300 a night!) and Bob is being paid a million to shoot a commercial.

Anyway, just some random info...

A moment of silence
Suntory Time

#11 Post by A moment of silence » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:21 pm

Well, I guess is a fair trade, I mean he got a photo (hopefully won't be ripped off or sunk in coffee) and she got an owl (hopefully won't be pawned or dyed with any substance)- She doesn't need a photo because she'll be seeing his ads and whatnot.
- If you notice, the photo he has of Charlotte is not the one he took, is the one Charlie took. (The one he took she smiled, hence the "Cheezo!")
- Charlotte's owl won't fit on that suit case? Or would it?
* It's so nice how these two little things keep them together even though they are far apart (and the memory keeps them connected too). :D
Nothing is more beautiful than something that will not last

wiggle
Lounge Singer

#12 Post by wiggle » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:31 am

A moment of silence wrote:Well, I guess is a fair trade, I mean he got a photo (hopefully won't be ripped off or sunk in coffee) and she got an owl (hopefully won't be pawned or dyed with any substance)- She doesn't need a photo because she'll be seeing his ads and whatnot.
- If you notice, the photo he has of Charlotte is not the one he took, is the one Charlie took. (The one he took she smiled, hence the "Cheezo!")
- Charlotte's owl won't fit on that suit case? Or would it?
* It's so nice how these two little things keep them together even though they are far apart (and the memory keeps them connected too). :D
I've got the owl and it certainly wouldn't fit in a suitcase. I'd be far too scared to put it in a suitcase for fear of it being damaged but then again, I paid a fair bit of money for it and Charlotte got it for free.
Where the hell's the whiskey?