Question from a newbie

Discuss the fabulous movie Lost In Translation!

Moderator: Bob

NightDreamer
Tourist

Question from a newbie

#1 Post by NightDreamer » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:11 pm

I don't like bob's wife especially when she told him to stay in Japan.

I was also wondering if anybody knew what charlotte was so sad about on the phone with her friend as she was sitting at the window, talking about trying iki bana? I don't know what that is.

jm
Inactive/Deleted user

Re: Question from a newbie

#2 Post by jm » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:04 pm

"[quote:64604dd3da="NightDreamer"]I don't like bob's wife especially when she told him to stay in Japan.

I was also wondering if anybody knew what charlotte was so sad about on the phone with her friend as she was sitting at the window, talking about trying iki bana? I don't know what that is.[/quote:64604dd3da]
If I were Bob's wife, I might get tired of year after year of sarcastic, indirect comments.

Charlotte was crying because she felt her marriage was a mistake."
Last edited by jm on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Congruous
Suntory Time

#3 Post by Congruous » Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:41 pm

Charlotte's comments about ikibana (Japanese flower-arranging) and John's use of hair products emphasize the absurdity of her position in Tokyo. Is she interested in ikibana? Not really. Is she starting to see a gulf between her husband and herself? Yes. She's floundering. She went to Japan because she wasn't doing anything else and probably felt that being with her husband was what she should be doing.
"Are there no more arrows left?"

findingcharlotte
Charlie Brown

#4 Post by findingcharlotte » Sun Dec 18, 2005 12:31 am

I also think that you have to factor in that Charlotte was in a strange place., vulnerable..felt alone.without her usual friends and support..couldnt connect with anyone...that added to her sadness..
Call me if you get lost...

" before we go, Im not as brave as I told you.."